Profile for John Gimblett > Reviews

Content by John Gimblett

John Gimblett

The Outsider (Essential Penguin)
The Outsider (Essential Penguin)
by Albert Camus

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary perfection, 12 Feb 2001
Though I hate being so unoriginal, I can only repeat what everyone else has said here: this book, along with Sartre's 'Nausea' represents a defining moment in Twentieth century culture. The two books - although by different authors - should be read as a pair, though strictly that 'pair' could be extended to take in another half dozen books without much trouble. (e-mail me if you want to know which ones - though my guess is you already know, or have probably already read them.)
I last read this book from cover to cover in my teens (many years ago) but I think of it, and 'Nausea' almost every day.

God is a Bullet
God is a Bullet
by Boston Teran

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, and play the free game., 12 Feb 2001
This review is from: God is a Bullet (Hardcover)
This is an exciting, vivid, erratic slice of literary horror. No, it doesn't have any vampires in it, and no, it's never going to be the screenplay for Scream 9, but it's scary as hell. You wouldn't want to be a character in this book.
A fun sideline of this book is getting a group of friends together and imagining just who will play who when the inevitable movie is made from the book. My money's on Brad Pitt and Billy Bob Thornton showing up in it.
The only thing I can say about the book is 'read it'. If you like this sort of book, you'll have been drawn towards it already through recommendations, or some kind of scary osmosis.
A superb thriller, scary and unreal.

Goodnight Vienna
Goodnight Vienna
by Phil Andrews

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 12 Feb 2001
This review is from: Goodnight Vienna (Paperback)
Why 'surprisingly'? Well, the cover is less than exciting, and although that's a pretty superficial reason not to pick up a book, it's a real one. Also, tell anyone you're reading a football thriller and they think it's a dimwitted book about lager louts.
But this novel is well-crafted, and has a good plot. It's also funny, and doesn't patronise the reader.
I expected so much less of this book, but what I got was a light but very well-written crime thriller. I look forward to reading the author's first novel, and I eagerly await his third.