Profile for Iain S > Reviews

X-Men: First Class [Blu-ray]
X-Men: First Class [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ James MacAvoy

5.0 out of 5 stars A great break from Wolverine for Marvel fans., 16 May 2015
The best of the lot, well acted, well scripted, hard to fault.
The other films all get dragged down with too much focus on Wolverine

Saitek Cyborg V1 Stick (PC)
Saitek Cyborg V1 Stick (PC)
Offered by Shop4World

4.0 out of 5 stars Best budget joystick for FSX I've found., 5 Mar. 2015
This is way better for FSX than the Logitech 3d pro I was using (and half the price!) - I can actually complete the Extra 300 mission with this, I suspect this is down to the sensitivity and range of movement.

Only think I don't like is the flimsy feel to it, but for this price I can't complain too much.

An Ocean of Air: A Natural History of the Atmosphere
An Ocean of Air: A Natural History of the Atmosphere
by Gabrielle Walker

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read - but 90% history and 10% science, 23 Jan. 2015
I did really enjoy reading this, but feel that the title and description don't make it clear enough that this book is mostly about the individuals who made discoveries about the atmosphere, rather than an explanation of the atmosphere itself.

It is very interesting to read about Columbus' exploits, and I've written reviews on other books on the subject of Columbus, but dedicating pages to this, before arriving at the description of the trade winds and coriolis effect was a bit much.

Life in the Universe: A Beginner's Guide, Astrobiology
Life in the Universe: A Beginner's Guide, Astrobiology
by Lewis Dartnell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, looking forward to updates., 17 Jan. 2015
A great primer on the new study of astrobiology - they should re-release it every year with updates (another earth like exo-planet found last week!).

Note that the book is written in a more academic style than usual popular science books - although is still readable for the layman.

The Great Gatsby [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
The Great Gatsby [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually better than the book!, 17 Jan. 2015
Fitzgerald would be very impressed - this film follows the book very closely, down to the furniture and precise mannerisms of the characters - much of the script comes directly from the book.

All the sets and costumes look spectacular on Blu-ray, the acting is top-notch.

My only criticism is that it could have been better edited in the later part of the film - it did drag in a few points. Also, I still can't see Tobey Maguire as anyone other than Spiderman.

Powerbar 2 No assembly Folds to just 30mm With New Design door frame protectors
Powerbar 2 No assembly Folds to just 30mm With New Design door frame protectors
Offered by RJH Product Development

5.0 out of 5 stars Solves the 'height' problem of normal door frame chin up bars, 27 Dec. 2014
Works exactly as shown in photo, best door frame chin-up bar I've tried - also I suspect the least likely to do damage to the door frame (at least nothing a pot of gloss paint won't fix).

I've had a look at the 1 star reviews, and most relate to it not fitting peoples doors, or not being useable on the door opening side (which should be obvious from the photo) - so check your measurements before buying!

Frankenstein (Pulp! the Classics)
Frankenstein (Pulp! the Classics)
by Mary Shelley

2.0 out of 5 stars Why the motorbike?, 26 Dec. 2014
Frankenstein is a cracking novel, and well worth reading - none of the film adaptations do the book justice.

However, this review is about the Pulp the Classics version - and as you can see in the image, they put the monster on a motorbike with a leather jacket. I was collecting the Pulp the Classics books, and their previous ones had great covers. But now they're making modern movie references with their artwork and it spoils it. I would bet that the publishers had a huge internal argument about this, and the idea of doing movie themed covers won, and I'm sure there are some employees there inwardly seething about this decision.

Anyway, if you like the cover then buy the book, you don't need to read my review, I'm just venting my disappointment at what the publishers have done to this series.

Bad Science
Bad Science
by Ben Goldacre

5.0 out of 5 stars should be a compulsory read in final year of secondary school, 26 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Bad Science (Paperback)
This is one of those books that I think the world really desperately needs. There is so much damaging pseudoscience being spread by the likes of the Daily Mail, we need to 'vaccinate' our kids against it by giving them this book.

I've had a scan through the 1 star reviews of this book, and they seem to be mostly from believers of homeopathy who've taken great offence at his chapter on homeopathy - but they didn't read the following chapter on the placebo effect. The author states that homeopathy is proven to be as effective as placebos, and in the next chapter he describes how useful the placebo effect really is, therefore homeopathy can still be a valuable treatment - just as long as practitioners advise their patients to see real doctors too.

A Universe From Nothing
A Universe From Nothing

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but room for improvement, 9 Dec. 2014
A very interesting read, plugging an important gap in popular science books, and well worth the price.

The reason I wouldn't give it 5 stars is because I think some of concepts could have been better explained, and I had a lot of questions firing in my head as I read the book, which weren't answered. If you read a book by Richard Dawkins, he explains everything in almost too much detail (and I find myself thinking 'yeah, yeah, I got it' and skipping ahead) - in this book it's the opposite.

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh in that our brains have not evolved to be able to visualize quantum mechanics, and it can only really be understood by the mathematics - the level of which is beyond the majority of the population.

Toward the Setting Sun: Columbus, Cabot, Vespucci, and the Race for America
Toward the Setting Sun: Columbus, Cabot, Vespucci, and the Race for America

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, fills in a lot of gaps if you've only read books on Columbus, 20 Nov. 2014
great book, and one of the best value-for-money reads I've had in a long time. My only criticism is it could do with some editing, but for this price I can't give it less than 5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4