Profile for Roberty > Reviews

Marx Brothers Box Set [DVD]
Marx Brothers Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Marx Brothers

5.0 out of 5 stars Marx Brothers Later Films, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Marx Brothers Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this from the NY seller because of the eye watering prices quoted in the UK for these particular DVDs, excellent service, arrived before they said it would. If you are a Marx Brothers fan you will already know these films and you will have your own thoughts on which is their best film. My favourite (not in this set) is Duck Soup but I would not argue with anyone picking one of the films from this set. Even the lesser known, dare I say weaker films, have some magic moments/routines. All Marx Brothers films have a similar formula, banter between Groucho and Chico, piano and harp solos, chaos etc. but it doesn't matter this is great stuff. You either love it or hate it, if you haven't seen them (why?)give them a go you've nothing to lose but your sanity (clause).
Just a slight warning, the DVDs are meant for the American market, a couple of them have A & B sides, I had trouble playing these on my DVD player as it would not accept the region, played OK on my PC though. The single sided DVDs played fine on both my DVD player and PC. I was a little nervous about purchasing from the US but no problem at all, I would have no hesitation in buying from this seller in future.

Titanic [1998] [DVD]
Titanic [1998] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disaster, a tragedy that this film isn't better., 3 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Titanic [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
"Titanic" is not completely awful. Visually the film is stunning. It's sets and costumes capture perfectly the time and the grandeur of the titanic. The second half of the film (after the ship hits the iceburg) verges on great; it captures the horror and tragedy well, with great C.G.I, a wonderful score, and a memorable scene in which the orchestra play Nearer My God to Thee, in which Cameron shows the viewer - for the first time - real people in a horrifying situation. However, whilst this part is genuinley moving, the film is dragged down by its flaws.

The weakest part of the film is undoubtedly the script, which is ridden with cliches and telling, not showing (the line "I believe you will get your headlines, Mr Ismay" is unique in its greatness). Thus, the characters are mere charicatures,without any human qualities, and the cast have the impossible task of making the cliched storyline fresh and moving.
Jack Dawson is vomit inducing - a smart-arse, whose characterisation is devoid of realism. His death will split the audience - half will cry, the other half will cheer. I was of the latter. Jack's death is also an example of one the movie chief techniques - manipulation: Jack doesn't deserve out tears - the real people do, but unfortunately they are merely touched upon.

In conclusion, the film should have focused more on the true tragedy at hand and not on a fatigued love story that has already been done to death. Perhaps Cameron should have invested more money in a better script, which, as this film shows, is essential in making a good movie. "A Night to Remember" is by far a superior film, historically and emotionally.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2011 9:33 PM GMT

Ulysses (Penguin Modern Classics)
Ulysses (Penguin Modern Classics)
by James Joyce

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Masterpiece, 27 Aug. 2009
Ulysses has always been a controversial novel. In its own time, Ulysses was considered by some as vulgar and profanely sexual. Now it has achieved a certain infamy amongst the "common reader" as being an unreadable book, whilst academics proclaim it as a work of genius. The tragic irony of Ulysses's "unreadability" is that it is - as far as my reading allows me to proclaim - the ultimate novel of the common man. The story is a day in the life of Leopold Bloom, and focuses on his conscious expereince as he thinks about many things, primarily his wife's affair.
The novel is based on Homer's Odysseuy, but not having read the Odysseuy I cannot comment on Joyce's success in that area. However, since I haven't read the Odysseuy, you can trust me when I say that this book is understandable ( though perhaps not fully) and totally readable. Leopold Bloom is the most fascinating character I have come accross and I was genuinely sad when finishing the book.

Chapter three is notoriously difficult, but read it is a short chapter, following which is a most rewarding read.