Profile for H J Mac > Reviews

Content by H J Mac

H J Mac "Heath" (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Hollow Earth (Hollow Earth 1)
Hollow Earth (Hollow Earth 1)
by John Barrowman

5.0 out of 5 stars A cross between the famous five and E Nesbit., 29 Jan. 2013
This book is a great, rollicking read. I really enjoyed it. There's something so old fashioned about the style. It reminded me of E Nesbit, and it had that classic formula of the siblings who have adventures with friends whilst adults are conveniently indisposed.

There's a set up for a sequel which I really hope they are writing.

I agree with a couple of other reviews which talk about the strange Americanism. It is strange as the authors are from Glasgow, and John B has lived most of his life in Britain. So at times it feels very British, as it should being set mostly in Scotland, but then there will be these odd sections where a Scottish seaside town sounds like it's straight out of an American book, it felt very like Trixie Belden in fact. They keep referring to "Main Street" in the local town, and I kept thinking "wouldn't that be The High St" Also there are beaches full of young people sitting about fires and having BBQs, I certainly have only seen that on American telly, and never on a beach in Scotland. It was a shame because it did throw me out of the story as I couldn't picture the place properly, and the stark beauty of the Scottish Islands got a bit lost in their descriptions.

However I gave it five stars purely because it did keep me reading and I really enjoyed the ideas and plottiness. Also the characters are well drawn and likeable, you can imagine reading a few books of their adventures.

Rotary Ladies Round Gp Bracelet Watch LB42827/40
Rotary Ladies Round Gp Bracelet Watch LB42827/40

4.0 out of 5 stars Shiny loveliness, 2 Mar. 2012
This is a very pretty watch, it's like lovely gold jewellery. Shiny, but a quality shine. The hands are so fab, lovely blue, and a really nice shape. I would have liked bigger numbers and date, I think that would make it perfect. it's the unfortunate thing with online buying because you can't really tell from the picture. I had to get some links removed, it's quite a big bracelet.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

3.0 out of 5 stars Compelling but predictable., 18 Feb. 2012
This is a story we've seen before, most notably in Memento, that wonderful film with Guy Pearce. It's well done here, incredibly compelling, I couldn't put it down. However I found the voice very irritating. First person is always a little more difficult to engage with anyhow and I don't understand why she couldn't use contractions? It felt unnatural and not the way people think, or write. I'll make up an example so as not to spoil. "I must not fall asleep. I will not forget what happened today. I could not understand why I can not use apostrophes like everyone else." It was so annoying and strange. When we think, and write a stream of consciousness it's a very unusual person who never uses a contraction. It pulled me out of the story quite a few times.

Also as the story unfolds it feels like there are a a couple of possible endings, and I felt that the ending did become a bit obvious.

Having said all that, a good read, and amazing to think it's a first novel.

Pear Shaped
Pear Shaped

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it wants to be., 5 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Kindle Edition)
This book is clearly influenced by Norah Ephron (in fact the author acknowledges this at the end) also by Bridget Jones. However it's not as good as either. Until about half way through I really felt I was dealing with an unreliable narrator. Which in fact it is in part, but she never develops this. Being in the first person, we only ever get a glimpse of what characters are really like, through other's points of view. This could have been so great if she'd used it more, and I was waiting for a fantastic twist.The man she is obsessing over is so dreadful, but she carries on anyhow. Plus she's quite irritating a lot of the time. It's really hard to remain empathic with some of her out of order behaviour towards the end.

I also really didn't like the attitude towards women who are normal sized, even slim, being referred to as fat. I didn't feel there was enough to balance that view out, it was too acceptable within the narrative.

Having said that, it does keep you reading, if only to see it play out the way it so obviously will.., and I did enjoy the references to food, and it made me want to try some places.

Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD]
Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eve Myles

2.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?, 6 Nov. 2011
I watched this out of loyalty to Torchwood, having previously loved the show. I was just baffled by how terrible it was. It felt like the writers couldn't be bothered, the whole thing was so sluggish. Dear John Barrowman, who has been known to be OTT as Capt Jack, but was mostly always at least engaging and enthusiastic, acted like he needed to go and lie in a dark room. He just seemed tired and fed up. The US setting was a waste of time, and just highlighted how much it had lost it's charm by leaving Wales. The American characters were mostly lacklustre, or unlikeable (Rex especially) and when people from Star Trek turned up to give incomprehensible exposition, it really was beyond the last straw.

The plot developments toward the end are cringeworthy, although did provide a lot of laughs, for the wrong reasons of course, it's not meant to be funny, but seriously did they not even look at the set?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2011 7:54 PM GMT

Clogau Gold 925 Silver & 9ct Gold Circle of Life Ring - Size M
Clogau Gold 925 Silver & 9ct Gold Circle of Life Ring - Size M

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet but small., 4 Nov. 2011
This is a very pretty little ring, but it is very little. I have another clagou ring which was quite a bit cheaper and is much chunkier. Still I just always assume you are paying for the Welsh gold, which I know is in fairly short supply, and I can get cheap gold that's been mined unethically if I don't want to pay for this.

It looks just like the picture, which isn't always the case. Very nice design and the rose gold is a lovely colour.

Torchwood: The Lost Files (Radio Drama Box Set) (BBC Audio)
Torchwood: The Lost Files (Radio Drama Box Set) (BBC Audio)

4.0 out of 5 stars I hope they do more radio plays., 2 Nov. 2011
I've enjoyed all of the Torchwood radio plays. It actually suits the format more than you would imagine. I think acting in a radio play is a tricky thing, and I previously wasn't convinced that John Barrowman was suited to it. Sometimes it sounds like he is just reading the lines from the page, rather than attempting to act. However with The House of The Dead, he and Gareth David Lloyd really give it some welly, and they breathe a lot of life into what is a simple, but very emotional little story. It's the highlight for me.

I hope they do more "Lost Files" plays. In fact I wish they'd do them for the telly. I tried to watch Miracle Day, but it was just so awful. Torchwood should come back home to Wales where it belongs, it's not The CIA, and that idea wasn't interesting or clever, let alone suited to 10 episodes. I'll never bother watching that again, but I'll listen to these again.

Truth Sterling Silver 14ct Gold Plated Flower with Cubic Zirconia Truth Clique Ring - Size N

3.0 out of 5 stars Gold doesn't last, 28 Oct. 2011
I have three Truth rings and they are lovely, look very nice and get comments. However the gold ones do look nicer than the plain silver, but the gold rubs off very quickly, it must be the thinnest gold plate ever. This one in particular is now silver after only a few months. I would still recommend the gold plated ones if you are definitely going to buy one, but be prepared to end up with a silver ring.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely shoes, might not prove sturdy, 23 Sept. 2011
These are really cute shoes. I have the black and actually fancy getting another colour, but my size has sold out, shame. The only reservation I have is that they may not be very strong or long lasting as they are quite soft, the back also rubs a bit at the heel.

Lost and Found: Unexpected Revelations about Food and Money
Lost and Found: Unexpected Revelations about Food and Money
by Geneen Roth

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sympathetic., 21 May 2011
I think this book is really worth sticking with, because there are a lot of interesting insights. It's given me a lot of food for thought, especially about the reasons why people lose and regain the same weight all through their lives.

However it's a bit of a slog at first, because it's really hard to empathise with someone who gave £1million to Bernie Madoff. I'm sure she's made it back on book sales since, but the majority of us are facing real life cuts, especially at the moment, and couldn't dream of ever earning that sort of money if our lifetimes salary is added up. I don't feel sorry for any of Madoff's rich clients, and the bits of the book where she goes on about this were a bit difficult to stomach.

I don't mind that I've given her £10 (kindle edition..) towards her millions, that's fine, because she has helped me with her books, I just found it a bit painful to read about these poor rich people.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7