Profile for Captain Howdy > Reviews

Content by Captain Howdy

Captain Howdy "none" (Outside. And above. And below. Looking in. Looking out. And looking at you.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Secret of Life
The Secret of Life

2.0 out of 5 stars Covers indeed.........mm..., 14 Mar. 2007
This review is from: The Secret of Life (Audio CD)
I really tried to like this recording, but try as I did, I found it deeply disappointing.
The covers are really a bit too twee for me, and verge on taking on the "look how clever we are" stance.
I do not doubt the musicianship one bit, but I think they could of done better. The Ukulele Club De Paris for instance on their album "Manuia" offer a more vibrant, imaginative and original approach without a sellout to smugness.
Also worth a listen is the hugely talented (ukulele player) Janet Klein And Her Parlour Boys, Petty Booka, The Asylum street Spankers, Roy Smeck, Cliff Carlisle, Tom Marion, Bob Brozman, George Formby, and good old Tiny Tim.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2010 10:16 PM BST

A Consumer's Guide to "Alternative Medicine": A Close Look at Homeopathy, Acupuncture, Faith Healing, and Other Unconventional Treatments (Consumer Health Library)
by Kurt Butler

4.0 out of 5 stars About time too !, 26 Jan. 2007
At last we have a fairly comprehensive and easy to read book exposing these "New Age" scams. It beggers belief how gullible some people are in grasping at such desperate straws such as homeopathy and crystal healing. Still, every cripple needs a crutch as the saying goes.

Hats off to Kurt Butler for scything and exposing these charlatans.

4 stars because it wasn't more ascerbic.

One Size Fits All
One Size Fits All

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands the test of time. No doubt about that., 4 Jan. 2007
This review is from: One Size Fits All (Audio CD)
I remember reading a review about this album when it was released 1976, under the banner of "One size fits some", and it had a fairly poor review, possibly by someone whose musical prowess zenith peaked at "The Birdy Song". I bought it anyway on the strength of a previous purchase ; "Apostrophe". A good move. I was totally taken aback by the tight, precise musicianship of this recording. Every musical detail was catered for. I won't blether on too much , but the bluesy guitar and piano intro on "Pojamma People" is superb, as is the guitar solo in the same track. Of course there is the expected Zappa quirkiness on this album, but I think that this is possibly one of his finest recordings. Buy it and make your own mind up.

Drive the Cold Winter Away
Drive the Cold Winter Away
Offered by A1tradingGB

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-establishing their roots., 13 Dec. 2006
I bought this album when it first came out 30 years ago. I was bowled over then, and to me now, it is still musically fresh.
Horslips were a band that tried to keep most people happy, and the traditionalsts were, alas, out for blood because someone had plugged a fiddle into an amp. Oh dear.
There are some fine tunes and songs on this album that to my knowledge, have not been covered by anybody else as yet. Contrary to a previous review, one cannot equate Horslips to either The Bothy Band or De Dannan, simply because you cannot compare, say, Carlos Montoya to Joe Satriani. It just won't fit.

Horslips have had some stick for their releases, mainly for subsequent offerings, but you must remember that they were self financed, toured almost constantly and generally called their own shots, regardless of financial limitations.
Good for them says I.
The musicianship on "..Cold Winter Away" is really spot on, and "The Snow That Melts the Soonest" would warm any dour witches tit.
It may not be the best Horslips recording, it may not be the best Celtic style Christmas offering, but, really,.... it ain't half bad mum.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4