Profile for J. Cowan > Reviews

Content by J. Cowan

J. Cowan (UK)

Sirdar Dog Blankets and Coats Knitting Pattern 5792: Coat 30cm/50cm/60cm, Blanket 54cm/76cm/98cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described, 3 Dec. 2012
I was knitting for The Dogs Trust Hope appeal and this pattern was brilliant. Choice of sizes and easy to follow. it turned out well.

A Taste of Home: 200 Quick and Easy Recipes
A Taste of Home: 200 Quick and Easy Recipes
by Angela Hartnett

4.0 out of 5 stars Recipes for easy family cooking, 10 July 2011
I can't agree with the poor review of this book. If you are looking for a 'cheffie' book with lots of complicated recipes and techniques that are challenging at home, then don't buy this book. However, if you like Angela Hartnett (Cucina is brilliant) and her accessible recipes that work and can be cooked easily at home, then do buy this book. There isn't a picture for every recipe but do you really need one? Angela's recipes work every time, which is more than can be said for some writers! I have baked the Sticky Lemon Drizzle and Poppy Seed Cake and it was delightful. I am going to try Beef and Onion Gratin tomorrow and that is the thing with Angela's books, I actually want to cook the recipes and not just look at the book on the shelf or read about the recipes but never cook them.

Snowflakes and Schnapps
Snowflakes and Schnapps
by Jane Lawson

3.0 out of 5 stars One The Coffee Table, 28 Jan. 2011
Gorgeous to look at and gorgeous to hold but I really don't think that I am going to cook from it............the recipes seem far to long and involved. I can't dedicate every waking hour to cooking! That said, it really is a beautiful book and deserves a place on the coffee table in the winter.

The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 3)
The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 3)
by Derek Landy

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Boy Wants To Read, 8 Oct. 2009
I have not read this book but my 11 year old son could not put it down (nor any of the others in the series). I was concerned that he wouldn't read fiction at all until my friend, an English teacher, suggested this series. Success......he read them all and is now looking at other fiction. Phew....might have to read them myself!