Profile for Ken > Reviews

Content by Ken

Ken "bletchley_badger" (Bletchley, Bucks)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Painted Ladies: Art of Hand Colouring in Photography
Painted Ladies: Art of Hand Colouring in Photography
by James Wedge

2.0 out of 5 stars Sketchy about techniques, 26 Feb. 2016
Unfortunately there is nothing in this book for me. There is next to nothing about the techniques of hand colouring.

Hapilife Single Lever Pull Out Spout Kitchen Sink Mixer Tap
Hapilife Single Lever Pull Out Spout Kitchen Sink Mixer Tap

3.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant, not bad, 18 Aug. 2015
The tap is good enough. It does the job, however, the fitting of the extendable spray head into the body of the tap is a bit "plasticy". Only time will tell if it can stand up to constant use. The instructions supplied are for a completely different tap. They are completely useless. Finally some advice from my plumber. Make sure you have a long 8mm socket spanner. Connecting the tap to the water supply is impossible without one.

Primitive Photography: A Guide to Making Cameras, Lenses, and Calotypes (Alternative Process Photography)
by Alan Greene

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Practical Book, 30 July 2015
I like this book a lot. It successfully covers all the processes and techniques necessary to build and use your own camera to make your own calotype photographs and print them onto homemade print paper; this book covers the lot. Although it is unlikely that I will build one of the cameras, I am already building a simple landscape lens using the procedures detailed. The only problem I found was that all the dimensions for construction are given in imperial units (inches). In UK it is difficult to obtain the materials in anything but metric.

Silverline 612120 3 mm Lip and Spur Drill Bits - Pack of 10
Silverline 612120 3 mm Lip and Spur Drill Bits - Pack of 10

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 31 May 2015
Used the drill to cut 0.002" aluminium sheet. The lips broke off the drills.

Mens Classic White Jacobite Ghillie Kilt Shirt XX-Large
Mens Classic White Jacobite Ghillie Kilt Shirt XX-Large
Offered by Eagle & Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars Just right for the occassion, 8 Oct. 2014
I bought this to wear with a kilt to a wedding. I wore full Highland dress for the ceremony and wore this shirt to the reception. It fits well and was comfortable. The price is good compared to other sites and shops. It was delivered quickly.

Dowel Drill Set 3pce 6, 8 & 10mm
Dowel Drill Set 3pce 6, 8 & 10mm

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but NOT cheerful, 8 Oct. 2014
All the drill make grossly oversized holes.

Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks
Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks

5.0 out of 5 stars At last I can marble paper!, 8 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks (Toy)
I have often tried to marble paper with results varying from mediocre to terrible. At last I have found a way I can quickly and reliably produce marbled papers for bookbinding. At my first attempt I made 8 A4 sheets of decorative paper; 6 of which will be used as end papers in small sketch books. With practice I anticipate being able to produce larger papers.

I doubt if it will be possible to replicate the regular patterns found in a lot of European marbled papers, but getting results that emulate some Oriental papers is not just possible, it is easy.

I have not yet tried to paste any of the papers I made, but if there are any issues I will report them.

Euro 2 Pin to 3 Pin Converter Plug / Adapter - Black
Euro 2 Pin to 3 Pin Converter Plug / Adapter - Black
Offered by cheap4uk

4.0 out of 5 stars This is exactly what I needed, 3 May 2014
I bought a very large capacity USB hard disk in Germany recently - a very good price - or so I thought. It was never reliable because the power supply built into the plug could only connect to UK mains power via an adaptor, which was unreliable. I bought this adaptor in desparation, but it works brilliantly. Not a single failure since I fitted it. The only potential problem was that the locking screw needs to be VERY firmly screwed down to ensure a good contact. I am very glad I bought it.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Thin nuts, 3 Mar. 2014
There are several kinds of lock nut available. These are brass thin nuts. It was difficult to find at a reasonable price and I was glad to find these.

Baader Hyperion 5mm Eyepiece
Baader Hyperion 5mm Eyepiece

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb optics, but some small problems, 3 Jan. 2014
I have recently taken up astronomy. Until I bought this eyepiece I have been using Skywatcher plossl eyepieces on my Skywatcher ST102 telescope. (102mm x 500mm i.e. f5) I have been getting good, but not outstanding results. This eyepiece was my Christmas present to myself. I have only had sufficient clear sky to get a good view of Jupiter for about 10 minutes, but it was all I needed to be able to see just how good the optics are. The Galilean moons were not just visible, they were exceptionally bright. The atmospheric bands on Jupiter were the clearest I have ever seen them. I am anxious to look at Saturn & Mars next.

It is possible to alter the effective focal length of the eyepiece by either using special spacing rings (FTR fine tuning rings) or by removing one of the groups of lenses. The later adjustment, in particular, should only be done in a clean environment i.e. not while you are sitting at your 'scope in the middle of a field! I have not tried either method, and as the view I am getting from the eyepiece is excellent for planet watching, I am unlikely to. It is also possible to use this eyepiece in scopes that accept 2" diameter eyepieces, but as all my 'scopes accept only 1.25" diameter I can't comment on it's performance in this role.

If I were only reviewing the optics, this would be a 5 star review. There are, however a few irritations.

One problem I did not anticipate, is that because the eyepiece is so large and heavy it seems to make any vibrations induced by focusing take much longer to settle down. I think I would be better off with a heavier mount. That complaint, however, is not the fault of the design, but of my system. My other (fairly small) complaints are the fault of the manufacturer

* The instruction leaflet is in German only
* The rubber eyecups are a serious pain to use. They are difficult to put on and to keep on. Without them the protective covers do not fit.

In conclusion I would highly recommend this eyepiece to anyone who is looking for a high class eyepiece for planet watching.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2014 9:17 PM GMT