Profile for Alan Coady > Reviews

Alan Coady

Ligeti: Works for Piano
Ligeti: Works for Piano

5.0 out of 5 stars A great performance, 12 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Ligeti: Works for Piano (Audio CD)
A great performance of great works. Aimard has captured the sensibility of these Etudes wonderfully. There's little more needs to be said.

Sawn-Off Tales (Salt Modern Fiction)
Sawn-Off Tales (Salt Modern Fiction)
by David Gaffney

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a lot of great writing you're encouraged to realise ..., 12 Jun. 2016
Gaffney's micro-fiction works are of such a level or artistry that you feel it's a straightforward, natural thing, and that you could probably do it. Then when you stop reading and think about trying it - you realise the artistry involved. Like a lot of great writing you're encouraged to realise things for yourself and not be told. Things are implied and not stated. Most of the tales are comic - some darkly so and some tragicomic - just like life, really. I bought this for a Christmas present and, as the extended family gathered Boxing Day, I saw people of three different generations pick it up and all seemed to enjoy it greatly.

Man With a Blue Scarf: On Sitting for a Portrait by Lucian Freud
Man With a Blue Scarf: On Sitting for a Portrait by Lucian Freud
by Martin Gayford

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 12 Jun. 2016
I first heard of this book when it was mentioned by Julian Barnes in his Keeping an Eye Open. Anything which Mr. Barnes recommends highly, as he does in his book, seems worthy of investigation to me. Art is not an area I know too much about, far less portraiture, but having read this, I feel my appreciation of the art has increased enormously. Through the chat and author's reflections across the 7-month period of sitting, a great deal of ground is covered: about Lucien Freud's life; about art and artists; about life in general. I've since bought more copies of the book as presents for friends.

Tiger Black Portable Folding Sheet Music Stand
Tiger Black Portable Folding Sheet Music Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust, 12 Jun. 2016
This seems the best value, low-price folding music stand at the present moment. It seems robust and not too heavy to carry.

High-Rise
High-Rise

4.0 out of 5 stars A quick read, 19 Mar. 2016
This review is from: High-Rise (Kindle Edition)
Seeing that High Rise was opening at the cinema, I decided to read this over a couple of days which, given its length, was easily done. The appearance of some spelling errors (Wilder appears once as Wildder) made me wonder how books become Kindle books. Still, that didn't put me off and Ballard's dystopian vision was conveyed with sufficient imagination and quality prose that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ballard is a master of the surprising and often amusing simile. Let's hope the film stands up as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2016 1:29 AM GMT

Alan Turing: Unlocking the Enigma (Kindle Single)
Alan Turing: Unlocking the Enigma (Kindle Single)

4.0 out of 5 stars It will one day be an enigma to us why Turing was treated so badly., 16 Aug. 2014
This very readable Kindle Single recounts the life of one of Britain's intellectual heroes and the wrong that was done to him. I was interested in the wealth of non-Enigma projects with which Turing was involved.

The Thing About Life Is That One Day You'll Be Dead
The Thing About Life Is That One Day You'll Be Dead

4.0 out of 5 stars Even people with a short attention span will enjoy this pointillistic book., 16 Aug. 2014
I really enjoyed this unusual book. In energetic, pointillistic style it leaps from simple anatomical facts to personal reflections on being an (ageing) man, a son, a father. The whole is peppered with quotes from serious and flippant people about the human condition.

At the Loch of the Green Corrie
At the Loch of the Green Corrie
by Andrew Greig

5.0 out of 5 stars An unusual and great recipe of..., 23 May 2013
...musings on philosophy, biography, literature, male friendship, geology, fishing. The long-reaching shadow of poet Norman McCaig prompted this wonderful read and informs it throughout.

Hitch 22: A Memoir
Hitch 22: A Memoir

5.0 out of 5 stars The Savoured Contrarian, 1 April 2013
I have to say that I enjoyed this book enormously and, rather than speeding through it, savoured it in small chunks over a few months. Like many people, I have misgivings about some of the positions taken - the biggest of which is Hitchens' unshakeable support for the invasion of Iraq. I believe this to be a war we (in the UK) were taken into on false pretences. The voice of the many who marched against the invasion were simply ignored. Was it about WMD or regime change? That always felt unclear. In the end, there seemed to be no weapons and so it and to be about regime change. That said, I discovered, through this book, many unknown horrors about Saddam Hussein's regime.
Hitchens clearly feels that he has followed his conscience regardless of resulting difficulties - in this and other matters - and I have to respect this.

As regards writing and (I imagine) conversation, Hitchens strives and succeeds in avoiding two things, clumsy prose and boredom. He is a master of that rarest of things the long, complex and yet flowing sentence. A lover of poetry, he has an ear for the sound and rhythm of writing and this makes for great reading.

Part of me wants to compare my love of Hitchens' writing with others love of Wagner's music regardless of associations. However, I feel that this is vey unfair on Hitchens.

Unanswered Question 1-6: Bernstein Lectures [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Unanswered Question 1-6: Bernstein Lectures [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Music and Language, 18 Feb. 2010
Anyone interested in these two subjects will be fascinated by the six Norton Lectures (and attendant performances). As a musician and teacher, I'd say "life changing" isn't too strong a description for the effect that they had on me when I watched them on TV about 20 years ago. For this work alone, Bernstein qualifies, in my view, as a polymath. It's amazing to think that he memorised the texts for filming - the narrative feels so natural, improvised, conversational.