Profile for Rowan > Reviews

Content by Rowan

Rowan

The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette (Bluffer's Guides)
The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette (Bluffer's Guides)

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyable, 14 July 2014
A lovely light hearted guide to social etiquette that should be read by everyone. The world would be a much better and infinitely more polite place if they did. Absolutely splendid!

Cat Daddy: What the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Cl ean

5.0 out of 5 stars read it cover to cover in one day, 12 Jun. 2014
I'm a fan of Jackson and of cats. Fascinating no holds barred bio, an emotional roller coaster that left me sobbing at the end. A must if you are a Jackson fan.

Quartz Clock Quiet Movement (Long Spindle) and hands set (Black, 110mm hands)
Quartz Clock Quiet Movement (Long Spindle) and hands set (Black, 110mm hands)
Offered by Vinyl Guru

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 7 Jun. 2013
Wanted to replace the mechanism in a very nice clock with a silent one as I don't like ticking clocks. This seemed like a bargain. How wrong was I. It kept stopping after random (short) amounts of time - half hourly, after ten minutes etc. Listening to the mechanism it was making very fast ticking sounds yet still not working.

Husband tried to repair it, so we can't return it. Good job it wasn't expensive.

Cat Mate Pet Fountain
Cat Mate Pet Fountain

5.0 out of 5 stars Most negative reviews might be misleading, 22 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)
I also did a lot of research before buying. I have four 1 year old cats and this is a good size with lots of different drinking heights including a waterfall. There is no water noise and only the tiniest of hums from the pump. Not noticeable even in my tiny living room. Each of my four prefer a different way of drinking. It has encouraged them to drink much more than they normally would, and as they all prefer to eat biscuit to wet food, this is a good thing.
The one thing that everyone seems to have a problem with is the pump. I'm a little more robust in my approach to pumps having kept tropical fish for many years. When the pump is getting dirty it starts to make a noise. That's the time to clean it. The lot goes in the dishwasher (except the pump). I thought the pump had broken or burnt out so I contacted customer support and they sent me details on how to dismantle the pump to clean it properly. The amount of crap that came out when I followed the instructions was amazing. So long as you do this on a regular basis (once a week should do the trick), the pump will keep on working. I appreciate that some may have had proper pump failures, but I do believe most of the problems are because they haven't cleaned the pump out properly.

Snore-no-More Nasal Dilator
Snore-no-More Nasal Dilator
Offered by Health and Care

5.0 out of 5 stars TRY THIS BEFORE YOU GIVE UP, 13 Dec. 2012
I had one of these a couple of years ago (lost it somewhere!) and found it uncomfortable. I tried squeezing it and making the loops smaller, but it didn't help. However, snoring was disturbing my sleep so decided to try again. This time I have had a breakthrough. I wasn't fitting it properly - I was trying to get it too high in my nose (I have a small nose) and it was irritating the mucous membranes. This time I tried something else TRY THIS BEFORE YOU GIVE UP. Once I've got it in as far as I can without resistance, I pressed it as close to my face/skull as I could. This pushes the back prongs further down the back of the nose, stabilising the soft palate and stops it digging in on the upper part of the nose. Once I'd done this, I could barely feel it at all, and the loop was right up against my nose. I slept all night without feeling it and slept like a log. I hope I've explained the technique properly - it does involve a bit of sticking your fingers in your nose, but the gentle pressing of the wires against your face really makes it comfortable. Don't give up - it's worth it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2012 6:23 PM GMT

Savic Whisker Water Bowl Ivory 300 Ml
Savic Whisker Water Bowl Ivory 300 Ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 Sept. 2012
This is a very well thought-out product. Most cats (and I've had a few!) don't like their whiskers being touched while they are eating or drinking and most water bowls are too deep or too narrow to avoid the whiskers touching.

This bowl is shallow and wide and all four of my older kittens are very happy with the dish. I can thoroughly recommend it.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Too small, 7 Sept. 2012
I ended up returning these to the suppliers, as they were very small and narrow. I usually take a 7 in all flip-flops, but my feet were hanging over the sides and end! I guess they are more for those with a 'petite' size 7 foot. I just wish shoe sellers gave you dimensions as well as the size, that way I would have known they wouldn't fit.

Anyway, I had no problem returning them, and even though they didn't fit, they were very nice and would have been very comfortable if they had been a bit wider.

KONNET iCrado Plus Metal / Metallic Charging / Charger Dock / Cradle / Stand / Kit with Charging and Sync Cable for iPhone 4S, 4, 3Gs, 3G and iPod Touch, Nano (Cyan) - Special Promo

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, 7 Sept. 2012
This is a nice little iphone holder, I use it to charge my phone overnight, and as I also use my phone as an alarm clock, it makes it easier to see and turn off in the morning. It comes in some very nice colours, I chose a colour to go with the bedroom. There is an issue with the clip that holds the charging dock/wire in place, it is a little flimsy. One of my kittens managed to knock it over and it came apart. We were able to put it back together again and it is working fine. Maybe a dab of glue to keep it in place might be in order.

The flimsiness of the clip is the reason for the 4 stars, otherwise it would have got a 5.

I'm Not A Paper Cup: Thermal Insulated Ceramic Eco Cup Travel Mug with Silicon Lid (purple)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice cup, 7 Sept. 2012
I had a double-walled ceramic mug for my home(office)-made lattes, but the capacity was so small it was not even a mug-full. This, however, is reasonably true to the size of cup you get direct from the coffee shops. A must if you have gone to all the trouble of frothing the milk etc. I'm much happier with this one than my previous mug. Couple of things though, the lid is very soft and a little bit loose - it wouldn't stand a chance if you knocked it over. Secondly, the silicone grip is great, but when you wash it water collects in the grooves and is difficult to dry. A very minor problem with a great product.

50 Best of Glam Rock
50 Best of Glam Rock

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Sept. 2012
I bought this as an MP3 download and I was a little hasty. Although it has a good selection of tracks, which is what attracted me to it in the first place, I was disappointed to find out that it was a cover album, not original artists. The band (whoever they are) do a reasonable job, but the tracks are a little wishy-washy compared to the original tracks. I wish I had paid more attention before buying it and not wasted my money.