Profile for Ms. L. Tracy > Reviews

Content by Ms. L. Tracy

Ms. L. Tracy "raindog" (Brighton UK)

Sadism, Songs and Stolen Liberty
Sadism, Songs and Stolen Liberty

5.0 out of 5 stars An insight into the life of a young boy held against his will, 2 May 2014
The title of this book sums up exactly what the young Stephen Mann experienced when he became a member of the Royal Navy. It is shocking to learn of the brutal treatment meted out to these young boys on HMS Ganges and to realise that there was no escape for years to come. The fact that none of these boys is an adult makes it even more disturbing. It was indeed stolen liberty. The writing is engaging and the author moves seemlessly between passages outlining pointless brutality to scenes of humour where the young recruits show their humanity against the system. We also learn of Stephen's growing political awareness which helps him to analyse and understand the situation in which he finds himself. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the social and political history of working class people. Well done Stephen Mann!

In A Bad Mood
In A Bad Mood
Offered by themusicmerchant

5.0 out of 5 stars songs straight from the heart, 21 Sept. 2008
This review is from: In A Bad Mood (Audio CD)
I'd never heard of Geraint Watkins till Mark Lamarr played "Unto You" and it stopped me in my tracks. This doesn't happen very often in these days of style over content. I ordered the CD on the strength of this song and I haven't been disappointed. This is a real gem!!!!! Easy to Say and My Love are such joyful tunes that they just make you want to dance. Champion is a gorgeous love song and the brass section gives it overtones of colliery bands and mountains. Unto You is sung with such passion that it brings tears to the eyes. There isn't a "filler " on this CD. The singing , the playing, the music , the arrangements are so coherent and masterful. This CD reminds us that music is transcendent and can make us more than we are.