Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for Mr. J. Carro > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Carro

Mr. J. Carro (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
In Car Holder for Apple Iphone 6 / 6 Plus / 5 / 4 / 4s / 3G / 3 and IPOD series 2015 Model
Offered by Best Digital Market

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, super sticky but let down by allowing phones to pivot when screen is touched., 28 Aug. 2015
Firstly the positives :
1) super sticky suction cup. The rubber is so soft (almost like those wall crawling jelly toys that 'run' down window glass) that it adheres to the windscreen before you even pull the lever to create the suction force.
2) fits my large Samsung S5 with large Otterbox Defender case without difficulty
3) quick to insert and remove a phone

The negatives :
1) because it only holds the centre of the phone it allows the phone to pivot when you press something away from the horizontal centre the screen. Not ideal for even for gently tapping away notifications that appear on screen (like in Waze for satnav) or reporting traffic problems. This is my biggest downside because I frequently tap the screen to report traffic problems in Waze (my killer app for windscreen mounting my mobile phone).
2) it has limited manouevrability because of its design with a large clip handle, which means its just on the edge of being serviceable when using a larger phone (the clip handle soon butts up against the arm from the suction cup), still works for me but your mileage might vary.
3) the tightening screw to fix the phone angle is easily overtightened which means it unthreads and you have to tighten again
4) the sticky suction cup (at least when new) can be a bit of a devil to remove from the screen due to its stickiness and softness. The first time I tried to remove it from the car I feared I would have to scrape it off and potentially damage the soft rubber. Moved it a couple of times and it seems to have become easier either because I am used to prising it off or it has lost a bit of its stickiness with time

All in all it just about works even with those caveats, however I am glad I only bought one as I can know hand this over to my wife who is far less likely to experience those problems (smaller phone, less need to tap the screen).

Eurosonic ES870 25m 4-Way Extension Reel
Eurosonic ES870 25m 4-Way Extension Reel

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job fine and seems sturdy and well built., 9 Aug. 2015
So far so good. Its easy to wind back in and has not shown any problems. Handy to have a length like this for tackling outdoor tasks like the garden with an electric lawn mower.

Akku-King battery for Neato Botvac 70e, 75, 80, 85 - replaces 945-0129, NX3000SCx10 - Ni-MH 3000mAh
Offered by Akku-King-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars works just like the original, 9 Aug. 2015
Our Neath battery (Botvac 85) gave up after around a year which was disappointing but par for the course for these units.

This battery fits in just the other one and has brought it back to working order. Cheaper than the manufacturer's one but just as good IMHO.

Keter Borneo Storage Box
Keter Borneo Storage Box
Offered by Garden Store Direct Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for cushions, covers and spa chemicals, 9 Aug. 2015
Capacious, sturdy, and so far weatherproof.

We just needed somewhere to store the otherwise exposed spa chemicals and somewhere to hide the garden furniture covers when the furniture is in use.

This fits the bill nicely as it is large enough to hold a fair few items, feels nice and sturdy plus the lid's piston assist when opening leaves your hands free to get at whatever you need to inside.

Doesn't look too out of place either.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Betron YSM1000 Earphones Headphones, High Definition, in-ear, Noise Isolating , HEAVY DEEP BASS for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Nexus, BlackBerry etc (Without Microphone)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Betron YSM1000 : good quality product. Awesome customer service., 8 Jun. 2015
Look, I am not going to over stress this review and say these are the best headphones I have ever had. They aren't. For the money however they are extremely good quality, good looking and robust. Audiophiles might find the bass a bit too rich but the majority of earphone buyers actually prefer that. Make mine a flat response please. In terms of noise suppression they aren't at the level of headphones costing more than 5 times the price and you would be foolish thinking they would.

The quality of the materials is clearly above average. Well made metal housing and connectors means I suspect that these will last a lot longer than others which suffer being sat upon, scrunched up, dropped etc. Early days yet for my pair but they've stood up to being yanked out of the phone when it was dropped (as phones are) and being pulled out of my ear by a cycle pedal without a glitch. The actual buds are heavier than most so might not be ideal for when you go jogging or engage in something strenuous. In my case they tend to fall out. The ear buds also produce wind noise when cycling (then again you shouldn't really wear both when cycling) due to their shape and size. Your mileage might vary as your lug holes might be deeper or more angled for wind resistance than mine. The earphones come with... gosh I don't know, 5 or 6 other different rubber/foam bits to go into your ear. Perhaps one of them will suit me better than the ones I have chosen. I need to investigate more.

Where this company distances itself from the pack is in customer support. Outstanding. I made 2 stupid mistakes which Betron fixed without a glitch or pause. They could have told me to sort it out myself because it was my fault and not a reflection on them or their product or communication. They didn't. They fixed it. Thank you Betron.

No hesitation buying from them again. None whatsoever. If Betron choose to one day make a higher end noise suppressing audiophile (flat response) set.... I am so gonna buy that.... and if they make them at this sort of price point I might buy several.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Mich better than the standard ones, 14 Oct. 2014
We have a Phil and Ted's 3 wheeled pushchair and have replaced all but 1 of the original tyres with these Schwalbe.

With the originals we suffered constant punctures, deflations and tyres that would pop off the wheel rim.

Since putting these on, (a year and a half ago) 1 deflation, no punctures and no popping off the wheel rim.

I am now about to replace the front original because it keeps popping out of the rim.

No hesitation in recommending these tyres above the ones fitted as standard.

PortaPow 2.5A Quad USB Wall Charger with 3 Year Guarantee (UK Plug)
PortaPow 2.5A Quad USB Wall Charger with 3 Year Guarantee (UK Plug)

5.0 out of 5 stars So useful for smartphone and tablet equipped households these days, 21 April 2014
We have iPods, iPads, iPhones and Samsung S4 phones in the house, plus the odd bluetooth headset or speaker. This device handles any 4 at a time with aplomb. My s4 can display the rate at which it charges and this device rates as high as Samsung's own. iPads charge happily alongside Android brethren. You could get a 4 way socket and 4 chargers to do the same thing but this is so much more compact and elegant, it's size is particularly useful if you are travelling.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2014 4:29 AM BST

Turing Evolved
Turing Evolved

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyable and unputdownable, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Turing Evolved (Kindle Edition)
I raced through this book on my kindle app by snatching moments whenever I could: putting little ones down for the night, toilet stop, waiting in reception, coffee break etc.

Agree with the previous reviewer about the start of the book being a lot about the minutiae to set up the tech for the world he draws but contrary to that reviewer's opinion I enjoyed it and welcomed it. I think it sets up the scenario for a great many follow ones and sequels.

I'm not claiming its another 'Foundation' series but definitely a great read and one that deserves reading for SF fans particularly those who found Asimov Robot and Foundation series' enthralling. I hope to read more from this author and have just downloaded the prequel to this book.

Slumber Plus Camp Bed
Slumber Plus Camp Bed
Offered by Camping World UK

4.0 out of 5 stars far superior sleep to an inflatable or self inflating mattress., 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Slumber Plus Camp Bed (Misc.)
However it is not light and setting it up does require a bit of brute strength. Also there are no instructions but you don't need to be Einstein to figure it out.

Just in case here goes a brief explanation.
a) assemble the rods. easy peasy. Just make sure that the holes line up.
b) insert the assembled rods into the seams along the sides of the canvas material
c) the tough bit is pulling the canvas over the end of the fully inserted assembled rod. I find a strong thin object can give you the necessary leverage. (fork handle for example)
d) turn it upside down and then put the 'legs' into the holes in the rods that should be visible (with a bit of jiggling around) in the gaps in the canvas material.

My experience so far has been 3 nights on a building site as night guard. Miles better than the self inflating mattress or even 2 of them (one on top of the other for added comfort). The length is good for me (my height is 5'9") and the width is also good considering I am quite broad. Weight wise I am just under its limit and don't feel vulnerable nor do I hit the floor.

All in all very happy with the Slumber Plus Camp Bed and would even bring it out for guests if we had run out of rooms.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2014 5:26 PM GMT

Jabra Pro 9470 Headset
Jabra Pro 9470 Headset
Offered by Insdec

5.0 out of 5 stars Jabra Pro 9470 : Great headset for business use deskphones, bluetooth and pc based softphones, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Jabra Pro 9470 Headset (Accessory)
I have one of these from work and was using it quite happily in the office where its range, audio quality and ability to mute on the headset itself made it very very useful. Imagine those long conference calls without being able to reach the bathroom or cafeteria or mute the sound when there!

USAGE : I use it to cover all my devices:
my Avaya deskphone (an Avaya ADVD running the Flare Experience) although it does work with other vendors phones like Cisco, Alcatel Lucent etc
my PC for corporate video conferencing from the desktop using Scopia Desktop
my iPhone and iPad for softphone use on these devices, the Bring Your Own Device theme in action.
Since December 2012 I have been home based and taken the Jabra Pro 9470 with me.

I am not tethered to the desk.
I am free to get up, make tea, have lunch, answer the door, wander around thinking and talking.
Range is capable of covering the entire house, with the signal only breaking down when outside the house on the other side of the road or near the bottom of the garden (an extreme rarity but done just to test the range).
Distance wise that's about 25metres with various internal walls and 1 structural wall in between me and the base unit.
Quality is good and when wideband audio is selected and available across the communication medium (pro use) then the sound is uber crisp, but the distance seems to be limited just a tad.
Battery life is generally good (one always wants more) and I normally get through the entire business day on a single charge unless its a very very heavy conference day where I must remember to dock the headset for a few minutes whenever possible to eke out those last few minutes and not end up having to go wired.... urgh!
It does look attractive with its glossy black finish and LCD screen.

My only constant bugbear is getting the mute function is a bit tricky as there isn't a physical button for this on the headset, instead it has a touch sensitive area that you need to double tap and sometimes my fingers just aren't immediately compatible. Maybe they're on the wrong software release and need an upgrade. A bit of trial and error generally gets the beep beep sound that confirms the microphone is muted. I advise making a coughing sound to check that people can't hear you before going off and doing something you definitely don't want them to hear.

All in all a great purchase for professional office and home office users with multiple audio paths. If you use just one device then this is probably overkill. It works on today's traditional deskphones with their RJ9 connectors, bluetooth devices such as mobiles and tablets and pcs for other applications. Also having a usb connector means I reckon its pretty much future proofed so that I only need one headset despite using different communication devices. The ability to conference between these devices and also record the call is something I haven't needed but its potentially useful.

N.B. Please note that whilst this device works with bluetooth it does so through the base unit. Thus it supports mobile phone use in the office where the mobile phone is physically near to the 9470 base unit. It will not work for you in a true nomadic mode (i.e. in the car, in the train, or generally away from the office with just the headset and the phone). You'd need a generator handy to keep the base unit powered and with you! A bit clunky and less than ideal. Should be obvious but just in case... there it is.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2015 10:43 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3