Profile for Mami Sandra > Reviews

Content by Mami Sandra

Mami Sandra (West Sussex, England)

The Way Back Home
The Way Back Home
by Freya North

1.0 out of 5 stars A drawn out, boring drag, 30 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
I don't write very many reviews, only when I feel strongly. I am a great fan of Freya North and have read and greatly enjoyed all her previous books. This, however, was one long and boring slog. It seems like 90% of the book is taken up building up to the great "terrible thing that happened when I was 15". And yes, it was terrible, but not so outrageous or imaginative that it warrants this lengthy, boring build up. As for the characters, they are bland and unimaginative. I could not identify or sympathise with any of them. In short, this book is not an enjoyable read but a boring drag without any depth to characters or plot. Sorry, Freya, you can do so much better.

OXO Good Grips Upright Sweep Set
OXO Good Grips Upright Sweep Set

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't last long enough, given the price tag, 26 Aug. 2015
I purchased this set from Amazon in October 2014. At £19.99, it is most definitely the most I have ever paid for a dustpan and brush set. For a few months, it was working well and I like the way it stands upright by itself, taking up very little floor space. A few weeks ago, however, the rubber lip at the front of the dustpan has started coming away at one end and is now slowly coming away all the way along the front of the pan, rendering the whole set useless because it is no longer possible to sweep the dirt into the pan. I have written to Amazon requesting a refund or exchange, just about willing to give this item another go which seems a great idea in principle. Let's see what happens.

StilGut UltraSlim Genuine Leather Case for HTC One M8 & M8s, Cognac Brown
StilGut UltraSlim Genuine Leather Case for HTC One M8 & M8s, Cognac Brown
Offered by StilGut

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money - poor quality that does not last or justify the heft price tag, 7 May 2015
Looked and felt like a great quality product on first impression. Was also reassuringly expensive. I don't mind spending a bit more if it lasts. But here we are, only 3 months later and this case is ready for the bin. The most important part of the case - the join between the back cover and the front cover is made of very thin later and this has sadly torn almost fully during very normal use. Completely unfit for purpose. And at a whopping £29.90, I expected much better and longer performance. Don't waste your money on this. I am asking Amazon for a refund.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2015 3:14 PM BST

15-Minute Abs Workout (15 Minute Fitness)
15-Minute Abs Workout (15 Minute Fitness)
by Joan Pagano
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing and effective, 13 April 2010
I really like this book and DVD set. I first borrowed it from our library to see what it is like. I am now ready to buy it for keeps.

The book contains very detailed instructions on what to do for each exercise. The DVD then pulls it all together. There are altogether four workouts in this book and DVD set.

I find the exercises really work the abdominals to the point that you can feel a pulling sensation for some time afterwards, but without making you feel exhausted. My abs after three pregnancies are pretty lousy, but this regime has already, after only two weeks, made a great difference. I know I will need to continue for another couple of months though to get the maximum results.

I particularly like the music on this video. I find it so relaxing. No silly talking or pop music. I feel mentally and physically refreshed after one of these workouts.

Anyone can fit 15 mins of exercise into their day. Here, you feel you are really getting somewhere with just 15 mins.

Second Chance
Second Chance
by Jane Green

1.0 out of 5 stars A depressing drag, 30 July 2008
This review is from: Second Chance (Paperback)
This book was a real drag to get through. It took ages to "take off" and when it did, it only seemed to last for a few pages. The funeral/mourning storyline took up almost half of the book. Yes, these things happen, but why depress the reader by going on and on and on about it. The characters were unoriginal and outright boring, the ending predictable. No feel good factor there when getting to the last page, except perhaps relief that it's over.

Allergy-free Cooking for Kids: A Guide to Childhood Food Intolerance with 80 Recipes
by Antoinette Savill

5.0 out of 5 stars The best allergy cookbook, 21 Jan. 2008
I bought this book a few years ago when my son had milk and egg allergies (now luckily outgrown). At the time, there were very few allergy cookbooks around and I was (and still am) very impressed with this one. Unlike some other allergy cookbooks that are full of sugar-laden and other unhealthy recipes, this book has got the balance right: the recipes are tasty and healthy, real food for real children (and adults) that you will still want to make when your battle with allergies ends. The authors give great suggestions for adding extra calcium, iron, essential fatty acids - all so important for any child, but especially one on a restricted diet or battling with eczema. I still regularly use this book, even though we can now eat anything. My favourite recipes are the chocolate cake (all my friends now cook it with courgettes and soya yoghurt too as it simply creates the most delicious, moist cake), the chicken tikka wraps and the spaghetti carbonara (I promise you, you will never return to milky home-made or ready made carbonara sauces).

Also useful is the general information at the beginning of the book on allergies generally and the "where to buy" index at the book.

I cannot recommend this book enough.

Feeding Kids: 120 Foolproof Family Recipes. The Netmums Cookery Book
Feeding Kids: 120 Foolproof Family Recipes. The Netmums Cookery Book
by Netmums

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life, 24 Aug. 2007
I am honestly not exaggerating when I say that this book has changed my life and has transformed my children's diet. I am mum to four children aged 7 months to 5 years and have had to battle with fussy eating for some time now. Our children were determined to turn into the anti-veg and anti-meat brigade, surviving on a diet of bread and baked beans. I was quickly running out of ideas as to what to cook for them, having tried many other cookery books aimed at children and fussy eating ... until I came across this one. Absolutely brilliant! The recipes are all that busy mums are looking for: simple (they do not take half a day to prepare), tasty (my children ask for second helpings) and healthy (plenty of suggestions for hiding extra veg and how to make food more nutritious without sacrificing taste and turning meals into "weird" health guru projects).

At last a book that combines simplicity with taste and good nutrition. This book delivers what it promises.