Profile for Tank Girl > Reviews

Content by Tank Girl

Tank Girl "Rach" (Bristol, England)

Strange Landscape: Journey Through the Middle Ages (BBC Books)
Strange Landscape: Journey Through the Middle Ages (BBC Books)
by Christopher Frayling

4.0 out of 5 stars A Landscape Worth Exploring, 15 Jun. 2015
A very interesting, informative read that isn't dry or too academic. The Middle Ages really came alive for me and I loved the chapter on our modern-day perception of the medieval period, how we keep it alive with fantasy literature and heavy metal. Certainly worth more than the meagre two stars left by another reviewer.

On Monsters: An Unnatural History of Our Worst Fears
On Monsters: An Unnatural History of Our Worst Fears
by Stephen T. Asma

5.0 out of 5 stars monsters past and present, mythic and real, 12 April 2014
I love this book! It is a fascinating exploration of monsters and their relationship to the human race, and what they say about our humanity. As well as interesting and informative it is engagingly written, not dry or overly academic. Fabulous!

Kill List [DVD]
Kill List [DVD]
Dvd ~ Neil Maskell
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars will get into your head!, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Kill List [DVD] (DVD)
This is an odd film, and I mean that in a good way. It has elements of dark humour, gangster buddy drama and pagan weirdness. The ending will puzzle many, including me, but if you are the kind of person who doesn't need all the answers to enjoy a film and like a bit (or a lot) of mystery that will keep you thinking for weeks, this is the film for you. The violence is graphic but not glorified, but it will make even the most strong-stomached wince. I suppose I like this film so much because it is original. You think it's going in one direction and it swerves down a dark country track instead.

A.W.O.L Absent Without Leave (AWOL) [DVD]
A.W.O.L Absent Without Leave (AWOL) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean-Claude Van Damme
Offered by Rikdev Media

4.0 out of 5 stars action film with heart, 2 Oct. 2010
I loved this film as a teenager. It doesn't have a big budget, the script is basic, the action sometimes formulaic, but it makes up for its faults with a palpable heart, helped by Van Damme's sensitive performance. Veering away from what could easily have been a run-of-the-mill revenge story the plot follows Leon's struggle to provide for his destitute sister-in-law and reconcile with her although she blames him for his brother's fate. 'Cynthia' makes a cold villainess, all porcelein skin and sneering smiles. Harrison Page is a likeable sidekick. The last fight scene against Attila (who reminds me of John Travolta crossed with a giant werewolf) is heart-pounding, and the final scene makes me come over all emotional. They don't make 'em like this anymore. An example of enjoyable b-movie-making when Van Damme was at his peak.

South Pacific [DVD] [1958]
South Pacific [DVD] [1958]
Dvd ~ Rossano Brazzi
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars This could have been better!, 21 July 2005
This review is from: South Pacific [DVD] [1958] (DVD)
This was a surprising attempt to high-light racial issues, but it is just a pity the ending was such a cop-out. I found the love story between Lt Joe Cable and Liat to be more interesting than the main storyline between the Frenchman and Nellie. 'Spoiler coming': When Joe Cable died at the end I thought that the film was cowardly back-tracking on its sympathy for mixed-race relationships. Perhaps the audience of that time were not prepared for a mainstream family film that endorsed an inter-racial marriage, therefore Cable had to die. I did not like this tragic ending! I thought it would have been more fitting for the Frenchman to have died, seeing as he was older and had lived his life; Nellie could have raised his children, thereby making amends for her conditioned racism, and Joe Cable and Liat could have married and led the way forward for a less bigoted society. Other than that, it was pleasant enough, but a good rather than great film.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2010 7:00 PM GMT