Profile for andy > Reviews

The Rolling Stones: Totally Stripped [4xDVD+CD] [NTSC]
The Rolling Stones: Totally Stripped [4xDVD+CD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ The Rolling Stones

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Superb, 28 Jun. 2016
A review of the five disc CD and DVD issue of Totally Stripped.

With over eight-and-a-half hours of concerts and documentary to listen to and watch, to give a detailed review of all five discs would be nothing more than unnecessary. So I’ll simply say that if you are Rolling Stones fan then you shouldn’t hesitate to add this to your collection…

…and list what you get.

DVD

Totally Stripped (documentary)

Studio session in Tokyo and Lisbon, on stage in Amsterdam, Paris and London. Rehearsals, interviews and live performances.

The Documentary Totally Stripped (1 hour 31 minutes)
Audio Options (Dolby Digital Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS Surround Sound)
Optional Subtitles (English and other languages)

CD (1 hour 18 minutes)

1 Not Fade Away (Amsterdam)
2 Honky Tonk Women (Paris)
3 Dead Flowers (Amsterdam)
4 Faraway Eyes (London)
5 Shine A Light (Amsterdam)
6 I Go Wild (Paris)
7 Miss You (London)
8 Like A Rolling Stone (Amsterdam)
9 Brown Sugar (Paris)
10 Midnight Rambler (London)
11 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Paris)
12 Gimme Shelter (Amsterdam)
13 Rip this Joint (Amsterdam)
14 Street Fighting Man (Amsterdam)

The Paradiso, Amsterdam 26 May 95

Gimme Shelter
All Down The Line
Respectable
Street Fighting Man

The Concert (1 hour 39 minutes)

L’Oympia, Paris 05 July 95

Start Me Up
It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll
Brown Sugar
Jumpin’ Jack Flash

The Concert (2 hours 4 minutes)

Brixton Academy, London 19 July 95

Midnight Rambler
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Jumpin’ Jack Flash

The Concert (2 hours 2 minutes)
Audio Options (Dolby Digital Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS Surround Sound)

Subtitles (optional) are only available for the Totally Stripped documentary disc.

The five discs are found set into the front and back covers of a sixty-page hard-back book (the book measures approximately eleven inches by eleven inches). It has about a third of the pages with information and the other two-thirds are of photographs and press cuttings etc.

The five disc CD and DVD package is extremely well presented (though for practical purposes I put each of the discs in a separate and more secure case), the fact that it all looks so good is a definite bonus, but it is the music that is what really matters, and for me it is absolutely superb! Of the recent releases of concerts (Live in Leeds, Tokyo Dome etc) in CD and DVD and other formats, Totally Stripped I think is possibly the best.

Although some songs are repeated, some appear in only one of the concerts and so each concert really is unique.

Simply superb.

My Piece of the Pie ( Ma part du gāteau )
My Piece of the Pie ( Ma part du gāteau )
Dvd ~ Karin Viard

5.0 out of 5 stars Karin Viard and Gilles Lellouche are superb, 27 Jun. 2016
With such great actors in the two lead roles, and a very believable fictional tale Ma Part Du Gāteau is a superb film. I first watched it four months ago and watched it again last night. Some films work better than other on subsequent viewings but with Ma Part Du Gāteau I found that knowing what was to come didn’t lessen the strength of the story at all.

The narrative is delivered with great direction from Cédric Klapisch and acting from all of the cast and especially Karin Viard and Gilles Lellouche in the two lead roles. Viard excels with what she does so well – namely dramatic acting whilst being able to deliver comedy (of which there isn’t much, but is very funny when you see it) so brilliantly in an otherwise very serious film.

Director Cédric Klapisch gives us a film that may leave you thinking about it long after watching it.

On the DVD you get:

Ma Part Du Gāteau (1 hour 44 minutes)

Sound: Audio VF 5.1 Dolby Digital. VF 2.0 Dolby digital
Audio Description 2.0
Subtitles (optional):
For hearing impaired (French).
English
Without

Chapters

Extra Features:
Making Of (29 minutes)
Deleted Scenes (15 minutes)
Music in the film feature (11 minutes)
Director Cédric Klapisch (5 minutes)

Subtitles are only available for the main feature.

Gildan Mens Soft Style V-Neck Short Sleeve T-Shirt (XL) (Red)
Gildan Mens Soft Style V-Neck Short Sleeve T-Shirt (XL) (Red)
Offered by COOZO

5.0 out of 5 stars Great V Neck Tee Shirt, 27 Jun. 2016
With good quality, good price, quick delivery, well packaged, these V neck tee shirts from COOZO have been an excellent buy – to date I have ordered them three times (seven tee shirts in total).

Buena Vista Social Club Presents
Buena Vista Social Club Presents

5.0 out of 5 stars Buena Música Cubana, 23 May 2016
Almost an hour (51 min 55 sec) of the beautiful voice of Ibrahim Ferrer on eleven tracks, this, for me, is a superb album. I don’t remember where I came across this album –possibly in a music shop playing it for the customers’ enjoyment, but on hearing it I bought a copy and enjoy it as much today as I did the better part of twenty years ago.

Having “misplaced” my copy and not having it in my collection for some time I’ve bought it again I can now enjoy these wonderful songs some more.

For me the best track is always Marieta. The eight note guitar intro inevitably has my attention for what follows. Ibrahim is joined in the lead vocals by Teresa García Caturla and they both deliver a fantastic song and story. (Spanish lyrics and an English translation are provided for each of the eleven songs.)

Track List:

The Benefactor [DVD]
The Benefactor [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Gere

2.0 out of 5 stars A waste of such great actors, 19 May 2016
This review is from: The Benefactor [DVD] (DVD)
The Benefactor is a simple enough tale (if you watch the film you’ll find out just how very, very simple), and a tale that is just about told competently. The cinematography is good as is most of the audio, although the actors seamed to be mumbling on occasions to me. Writer and director of The Benefactor maybe didn’t deliver a well-written and directed film for me though, as I was aware as I watched, that it was missing a good narrative.

Clearly, some reviewers have said that Richard Gere put in a good performance, but for me the very talented actor that Gere is, came across as over-acting and I am at a loss to explain why – but he did come across like that to me. The supporting cast didn’t interact with Gere in a convincing way, but (for all that they are all very good actors) they were in scenes that were dominated by Gere in his over-acted scenes, to the extent that I was cringing at what I was watching. Was it all down to Andrew Renzi, the writer and director? I don’t know, but I doubt I will watch this film a second time and I couldn’t encourage any one to view it for the first time as I found it very disappointing.

On the DVD you get:

The Benefactor (1 hour 29)
Scene Selection

…and nothing else whatsoever!

At Last
At Last
Offered by VECOSELL

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and Brilliant, 18 May 2016
This review is from: At Last (Audio CD)
Cyndi Lauper’s renditions of these great songs are superb. Her vocal on the opening track alone is enough to send a shiver down your spine. Produced with Russ Titleman , and with the most incredible musicians and singers performing on the album including Stevie Wonder on one track and Steve Jordan on another and also a duet with Tony Bennett.

Track Listing

01 At Last
02 Walk On By
03 Stay
04 La Vie En rose
05 Unchained Melody
06 If You Go Away
07 Until You Come Back To Me (That’s What I’m Gonna Do)
08 My Baby Just Cares For Me
09 Makin’ Whoopee (Duet With Tony Bennett)
10 Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood
11 You Really Got A Hold On Me
12 Hymn To Love
13 On The Sunny Side Of The Street

These songs have, over the years been covered by so many singers, but Cyndi Lauper has added her own unique and brilliant voice to them on At Last and with great arrangements and musicians it is a truly superb CD.

Rio, I Love You [DVD]
Rio, I Love You [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harvey Keitel
Offered by wantitcheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 29 April 2016
This review is from: Rio, I Love You [DVD] (DVD)
In a sort of sequel to Paris Je T’aime once again we are given a series of short films, each depicting love. For the most part the stories could be depicted in any location, so it is perhaps a case of “I love (Paris, New York, Rio) for letting me be in love here” rather than love of the city per se.

Whether the love stories of one particular city are better than another will be down to individual taste, but there is definitely a different feel to each of the sets of vignettes, and are, perhaps, different rather than better or not as good as the other films.

With Rio, once again we have some well defined stories, each by a different director and some amazing performances as well as some surprising ones – Vincent Cassel was one for me that made me think wow I wasn’t expecting that. The Nadine Labaki written, directed and acted in story is particularly memorable for the performance from the non-star of the tale – an incredible performance.

Once again there is much to watch here and there is good music to listen to also, and it is a film to go back to numerous times for me.

On the DVD you get:

The Main Feature (1 hour 45 minutes)
Optional English Subtitles (also some other languages subtitles)
Scene Selection

New York, I Love You [DVD] (2009)
New York, I Love You [DVD] (2009)
Dvd ~ Bradley Cooper
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb directing and acting, 29 April 2016

With New York I Love You, we are present once again with a series of stories, each with its own style and each by a different director and with different actors. The stories are not so much “I love New York” as “I love New York for allowing me to be in love here” and the stories for the most part could be set anywhere.

All of the stories are very well told and with great directing and superb acting – Eli Wallach and Chloris Leachman I thought were just brilliant!

I have my favourite stories and also my favourite from the “Cities Of Love” franchise and although clearly some people do not like these films at all, if you do like them, then like me you could well be viewing them numerous times as they are the kind of stories that multiple viewing doesn’t lessen their appeal.

On the DVD you get:

Main Feature (1 hour 43 minutes)
Optional English Subtitles
Theatrical Trailer (1 min 50 seconds)

Mea Culpa [DVD]
Mea Culpa [DVD]
Dvd ~ Vincent Lindon

3.0 out of 5 stars Escapism, 11 April 2016
This review is from: Mea Culpa [DVD] (DVD)
We are told not to judge a book by its cover, and if we were to apply the same logic to DVD’s then this could be an exception, as the cover of the DVD pretty well sums up the film: guns and troubles expressions! This is a very well made film with regard to the acting directing, editing, cinematography etc etc, but not one with a believable plot (though to be fair it is very much a work of fiction) or with realistic action scenes (typically the baddies unable to shoot a tin can from two feet away) or for that matter an original film.

But if you want an hour-and-a-half of escapism with fast cars and shoot outs, if you don’t want a film that leaves you with much to think about whilst pondering moral dilemmas long after you have watched it, and if you want a French film with the influence of Hollywood stamped on it – then this could be highly recommended for you.

On the DVD you get:

Mea Culpa (1 hour 27 minutes)
Scene Select
Audio Options: 2.0 Stereo, 5.1 Surround

English Language Subtitles are included and are embedded rather than optional.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared [DVD]
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Gustafsson

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyment of this film may well be influenced by whether ..., 29 Mar. 2016
Enjoyment of this film may well be influenced by whether one has read the novel or not, but many who haven’t read the story must surely feel that there is something lacking in the film.

What was lacking for me was a bigger budget. That is not to say that the film looks cheaply made, because it doesn’t, but that the story is just too big to fit into a film that is less than two hours long. Just because a film might not capture everything that is in the reader’s imagination of a book, the film of any book can still be a good film in its own right, but for me though (novel read or not – and I have read it) this is not a great film. It skipped through the story, possibly through lack of budget, and ultimately never delivered an entertaining film – or captuured what my imagination did with the novel.

If this doesn’t sound like a contradiction, I should say that it is well acted, directed, photographed and with good music but it just doesn’t hit the mark for me.

On the DVD you get:

The main film (1 hour 50 minutes)
Set Up:
2.0 Stereo
International 2.0 Stereo
5.1 Dolby Digital
International 5.1 Dolby Digital
Extras:
Making Of (42 minutes)
Interview with director Felix Herngren (13 minutes)
Interview with actor Robert Gustafsson 13 minutes)

2.5 stars out of 5