Profile for C. S. Bancroft > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Scottish Ghost Stories
Scottish Ghost Stories

3.0 out of 5 stars A novel novel, 2 Sept. 2013
There are a good selection of short ghost stories in this collection that are all interesting in their own way. However, they are not very scary and on more than one occasion I felt as if they ended abruptly without their full potential realised. O'Donnell has made use of the more general horror archetypes in this work, and sometimes he uses it too often and it becomes glib.

Saying that though the stories are worth a read and are good fun...

The Bourne Identity: The Bourne Saga: Book One (Jason Bourne 1)
The Bourne Identity: The Bourne Saga: Book One (Jason Bourne 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Has an identity but not quite fulfilled, 24 Aug. 2013
I have arrived at Ludlum's novels on the back of the hugely successful film franchise and I started the novel with a general understanding of the plot-line etc, but from the very first page I was hooked.

Ludlum writes in a very fast paced way. There is not much description with regards to places and scenery etc but this is fine. We bound along in the story, discovering Jason as he discovers himself.

The novel is good, well paced and leaves you guessing up to the end. However I don't feel "fulfilled" in the sense that everything fell into place like a great novel should.

Carlos as a character is somewhat bland and there is little to facilitate any kind of ill will towards him except on the say-so of Bourne. At times the plot-line gets very intricate and confusing and it takes a quick reread to get back to an equilibrium.

I hated the relationship between Bourne and Marie, and felt that it lacked any kind of credibility throughout the entirety of the story.

However I did enjoy the novel and will be reading the second installment.

Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice

4.0 out of 5 stars maybe a little prejudiced..., 7 Aug. 2013
I started this novel with the intention, in all honesty, of not wanting to like it. After seeing snippets of the film adaptation I was pretty sure that this novel was not going to be one that I enjoyed.

At first I was proved right and I found it very difficult to find anything that I liked about the story. The opening quarter of the novel I found very dull. The characters were insipid in a way and I could not relate to them one jot. Even the "action" of the balls was tedious and tiresome and I thought on more than one occasion of starting something else.

However, I am glad that I persevered. After around the half way mark the story and the intrigue improves, in my opinion, ten-fold. I found myself eagerly anticipating what was going to happen next and the characters development continued at a good pace.

By the end of the novel I found that I had quite enjoyed the read. Sure, it had been tough going at the beginning but once the story began to unfurl itself it was a good read.

A Reason To Kill (DI Matt Barnes Book 1)
A Reason To Kill (DI Matt Barnes Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars A reason to read something else..., 27 July 2013
Firstly, the overall idea and premise of this story is good. The idea of a serial killer who is a hitman works as a plot-line. It works in this novel to good effect.

However what lets this book down is are the one dimensional archetypal characters who create no empathy or sympathy whatsoever. The dialogue between the characters in the novel is wooden and forced and reads like a b-movie cop script. A bad one.

Worse than that though is the cliche ridden "soul searching" of the characters who splurge their thoughts throughout the book like some love-lorn teenage monologue. Cringe worthy stuff.

I found the romance section of the novel utterly boring and it did not add anything to either the characters or story. This novel could be reduced by half its word count and work a lot better; as it is it is too long, drawn out and sentimental.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2013 9:55 AM BST

The Track of Sand (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries)
The Track of Sand (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries)
by Andrea Camilleri

4.0 out of 5 stars On the right track, 21 July 2013
Very good novel that concerns two stolen horses, a run in with the mafia and a well constructed ending. Get reading!!

Tales of Terror and Mystery
Tales of Terror and Mystery

4.0 out of 5 stars Tales well told, 13 July 2013
Great selection of stories that have a wide range of subject and location. All very enjoyable and have you thinking what the twist will be! Liked the infered references to Holmes as well which I thought was a cool touch.

Casino Royale: James Bond 007 (Vintage Classics)
Casino Royale: James Bond 007 (Vintage Classics)
by Ian Fleming

4.0 out of 5 stars Royal read, 5 July 2013
This is a an interesting and engaging novella; it is well paced ( in the first half at least) and has a good plotline... The last 25% of the book left me Flat as it didn't really add much to the storyline except the death of Vesper and Bond's idealistic revenge motive - worth a read if you can get hold of a copy

The Lost World
The Lost World

5.0 out of 5 stars Should never be lost..., 1 July 2013
This review is from: The Lost World (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic story that keeps you enthralled to the last. It follows the adventure of Malone, a newsreporter, as he ventures to South America to help prove the outlandish claims of Professor Challenger, and to win the heart of the lovely (an fickle) Gladys. Full of action and easy to read! Give it a go!

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary Part 2: More Ghost Stories
Ghost Stories of an Antiquary Part 2: More Ghost Stories

3.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable, 28 Jun. 2013
Another set of enthralling stories that leave you guessing. I wouldn't say they were frightening; more intriguing than anything else. A little clunky in places and hard going but not to the detriment of the overall aesthetic. Oh and be ready to brush up on your Latin from time to time!

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
Ghost Stories of an Antiquary

3.0 out of 5 stars Antiquary, but not antique, 19 Jun. 2013
I found these stories interesting but not scary. I can understand why people like James, as he has a good writing style and the stories are not dated at all. A little hard going in places - count Magnus being one I didn't really enjoy to begin with - but all in all a decent e-book

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16