Profile for chez_best > Reviews

Selected Poems of T. S. Eliot
Selected Poems of T. S. Eliot
by T.S. Eliot

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest poet of the 20th Century., 15 Oct. 2002
This is a fantastic book from the greatest poet of the 2oth century. I am a 16 year-old and having just started A level courses, ihave found that my readings of Eliot have helped enormously with my understanding of other poetry. I would argue that if one can come some way to understanding Eliot, then there is nothing out there that one will not understand. He is known for his complexity but this must not be labelled impenetrable, though Eliot's poems are often obscure and challenging there is always a message that Eliot wanted us to see. I have been reading Eliot since I was 15 and my liking of him has grown with age, I also love the victorian poets such as Browning, Empson, Baudelaire, Blake etc and many of the modern poets such as Thomas, Plath and so on but I have always found that there is something extra special about Eliot. His range of poetry is one thing, from the masterpiece of "The Waste Land" to the phillisophical genuis of "Four Quartets", to the humour and sadness of "Prufrock" to the mystery and brilliance of "The Hollow Men" Eliot has everything. I think his poetry is widely mis-understood and critics argue over meaning and miss the point that Eliot placed one's own perception so much higher than accepted views and ideas, hence the fact that he never answered questions on "The Waste Land". Definately buy this book and make up your own mind, learn and gain pleasure from a truly remarkable mind.

Prozac Nation: Young and Depressed in America - A Memoir
Prozac Nation: Young and Depressed in America - A Memoir
by Elizabeth Wurtzel

5.0 out of 5 stars an honest account of a widely mis-understood illness, 1 Oct. 2002
I read this book a few months ago and am now reading it for a second time. It certainly evokes a number of different feelings, it is at times funny, blunt, harrowing and always honest. The best thing about this book is that Wurtzel writes eloquently and with raw honesty which is quite rare with a book of this nature as people are far too concerned about public perception. I'm sure Wurtzel was aware of how mis-understood her illness is and the degree of controversy it could cause, but nevertheless she told her story in her own words, with no detail spared. All of this is the readers gain, as anyone who has experienced this illness will admire her clarity for what they would not want is someone glamorising their very serious illness, they want someone to 'tell it like it is' and convey the serious brutality of the illness. Wurtzel does all of thse things brilliantly. I recommend that anyone who suffers from this illness should read this book, never again will a book prove more valuable too you.