Profile for LordMuck > Reviews

Doctor Who: The Coming Of The Terraphiles
by Michael Moorcock
Edition: Audio CD

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful...just awful, 18 April 2011
An unabridged Dr Who audiobook that's over 10 hours long? = Brilliant.
Clive Mantle reading? = Great (except for his bizarre Scottish accent).
The actual plot? = Terrible.

I have never read any of Michael Moorcock's other work and am now not likely to either. I was unaware of the fact that he has apparently used many facets of his own work's worlds/universe(s) etc in this book. Other reviews have said that the storyline is as though the Dr Who element was added as a mere afterthought once the book had been completed and I cannot agree more.

The amount of utterly pointless characters and places that are mentioned are beyond belief and I would say that any interesting twist at the end is replaced by something teetering on the edge of Deux Ex Machina.

The cynic in me would argue that this was a 10 hour long advertisment for Moorcock's other works. I listened until the end despite wanting to give up and was ultimately relieved when it was over as opposed to most other audiobooks.

I only hope that this isn't the end of the unabridged Dr Who audiobooks at such a length but I do hope they are given to something worth listening to in future.

Doctor Who: The Jade Pyramid (Dr Who)
Doctor Who: The Jade Pyramid (Dr Who)
by Martin Day
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story but...., 12 Jan. 2011
watch out for the price!
This CD is only 1hr 10mins long so I'd keep an eye on the price and only buy it when it's discounted rather than the £8.99 or whatever.