Profile for totalsurf > Reviews

totalsurf

MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool
MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool
Offered by PO Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars doesn't report a single fault - completely pointless., 18 July 2014
Reports ZERO faults on my car (Audi TT - 2004) despite the fact there are 4 known faults reported by VAGCOM, all with systems this scanner says it monitors!

I even took out fuses from major systems like ABS, engine timing etc. (which my car warned me about!) and it still said there was nothing wrong. Sending it back and getting a more expensive unit to see if that works!

Mr. Brightside Usb Light
Mr. Brightside Usb Light
by LLC. LightWedge

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb little light, 9 Oct. 2013
Just what's needed on my cheap laptop that has no back light on its keyboard. Now only if I can remember where I put mine, going to have to buy another!

Archos 101 Titanium 10.1 inch Tablet (ARM Cortex A9 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 8GB Memory, WiFi, 2x Camera, Android 4.1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor wifi, slow cpu that locks up, 9 Oct. 2013
I'm using this tablet for a project with a client who is going to be buying 10,000 android tablets for his project, but it's not going to be this model!

The wifi is a joke even after the latest firmware update which should have fixed it. In my lounge, my nexus 4 phone picks up 6 wifi networks in range, this tablet only sees 1! The signal strength to my own wifi network is only -50db despite it being 4m away from one of the best routers on the market, a draytek vigor 2850n.

My phone has over 20db more signal strength. Leaving the room with this tablet means the signal drops. It's quite simply unusable.

I'm also not impressed with the speed of the device and I've owned much slower (technically in spec.) tablets which were first generation tegra devices and also an hp touchpad with android rooted on it, and they were all faster.

It's such a shame, because on opening of box I was very impressed by the build quality which was equal if not better than the iPad (which I also own), but the user experience quite simply doesnt match.

So, Archos, if you happen to read this review, sort the wifi issues as your tablet is virtually unusable and then look at your firmware and work out why it's running Android like a dog! The hardware should be more than capable of providing a great experience, but as it stands I would not recommend anyone buys this tablet and I'm so glad mine is on loan and I'll be handing it back!

Btw, I'm an it professional for totalsurf.net web design, so I know my tech (just in case someone wonders what credentials I have to give such a poor review).

Asus S200E 11.6-inch VivoBook Touchscreen Laptop (Intel Core i3 3217U 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, BT, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars A superb machine, 22 May 2013
I'm an IT professional, running a web design company www.totalsurf.net and bought this laptop while I was working away from the office.

I wasn't expecting much, but it's an amazing machine! I have swapped out the standard drive for a 250gb SSD and it is SO fast - boots in about 6 secs, runs word, excel, photoshop, dreamweaver, chrome, outlook etc. ALL at once, with no issues.

I was worried 4GB ram wouldn't be enough, as I ran 12GB on my desktop, but it is fine (the SSD helps with pagefile access!) - shame you cannot upgrade the RAM though.

It's so good that I have now replaced my desktop machine with it and use this plugged into my monitor as well as on the go.

I can strongly recommend it. I just wish it had an SSD installed as standard - if it did, it would get 5 stars, but I will give it 4 until they upgrade the spec.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2013 10:58 PM BST

Lavolta Folding Laptop Table Desk Tray Stand with Mouse Board and Cooling Pad - 2x Cooler Fans - Aluminium Alloy - Adjustable-Angle Legs - Silver
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb!, 1 Mar. 2013
I am at home recovering from an operation at the moment and I am fed up with using my laptop on my legs, especially as my operation was on my left knee!

This is SUPERB. The legs are individually adjustable which is perfect for me on the sofa as 1 side of the seat sags just a little bit more than the other, but with this, I can adjust the legs perfectly to match!

Once I am better, I can use it for SO many other things (gigging with my laptop etc), as it loves into so many different positions and styles that it is only down to your imagination!

It's aluminium, so very light weight, but don't confuse that with being weak.

I rarely leave 5 star reviews (they are like hen's teeth!), but I love this unit :-)

1 x 50 WATT / 50W LED SMD FLOODLIGHT / RGB COLOUR CHANGING WITH WIRELESS CONTROLLER ** 500 WATT HALOGEN BULB REPLACEMENT EMITTING OVER 4500 LUMENS - INDOOR OR OUTDOOR USE - IDEAL WALL WASHERS, SECURITY LIGHTS, OUTSIDE LIGHTS, GARDEN, BUILDING LIGHTING, ETC **

1.0 out of 5 stars no-where near 500w equivalent!, 19 Dec. 2012
I was very excited about getting these as I use LED lighting for my music act and know how good they can be. These were bought for use in our kitchen, but sorry, there is NO way this is anywhere near a 500w equivalent. I would estimate about 50w MAX.

I also got a small shock from one of the lights, so I don't trust them from a safety point of view.

I am very disappointed with the claims many LED sellers make about their lighting power. If they were more realistic, people would not waste time ordering these units and then the hassle of sending them back!

The Solar Centre Astron64 Solar Security Light
The Solar Centre Astron64 Solar Security Light

1.0 out of 5 stars No where near 150w equvilent., 7 Dec. 2012
This is advertised as 150w equivalent. It is no where near that. I have a standard bulb security light which is 60w and it is about the same as this. Side by side, I would say the lumens were about the same. It was impressive for solar, but it's not 150w!

The light itself is VERY high quality and a superb build. I am sure it will last a long time, but if you are powerful floodlight, I am afraid this is NOT the one.

We also have a small 120w halogen security light and it is SO much brighter I cannot even describe the difference.

I would still buy this unit if you have a small area to light, but we wanted the whole of our driveway and garden and this just doesn't have the power as advertised.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2013 1:59 PM BST

Ranex Olav Outdoor Led Solar Security Wall Light With Motion Detector
Ranex Olav Outdoor Led Solar Security Wall Light With Motion Detector

2.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect product description!, 20 Nov. 2012
This is well built BUT Amazon have listed it with a "3w LED included" which is completely incorrect. It actually comes with a 0.5w LED which is clearly shown on the packaging.

It is therefore not very bright at all and will only give you dim guide light. If you are expecting any sort of powerful light (a 3w LED should delivery around 40-50w equivalent of a normal lamp), then look elsewhere.

I have sent mine back and have bought a unit from Maplin which is much much brighter for £19.99!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2014 12:06 PM GMT

Trust Oxxtron 1300VA Management UPS
Trust Oxxtron 1300VA Management UPS

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling piece of junk., 10 Feb. 2012
It looks to good to be true and it honestly is! I will start this off by saying I am an IT professional and bought this for personal use, so I was trying to save some money and get more bang for my buck. What a mistake I made...

I read the other bad review for this unit and took it with a pinch of salt, but it is spot on. Not only did I have a dodgy connector on this unit which I had to bend back into shape to plug my monitor in, but the 1300Va is a joke. The batteries in this unit are simply rubbish as it would only power my PC for about 3 minutes until it shut it down.

I have replaced it with an APC unit which is only 650Va and it is lasting around 10 minutes, so simple maths tells you that the Trust should last for 20 minutes (being double the capacity). I was actually expecting a lot less as I have an overclocked core i7 running at 4ghz per core with 2 HDs and a 24" monitor, but 3 minutes - that's just wrong (as the APC unit I bought proves!)

My unit didn't charge properly, in fact after running it flat for a test, I plugged it back into the mains and it said it was fully charged - interesting...

Now the software, wow - I am shocked it even installed! On installation everything looked fine and it worked, it shut down my PC as planned. BUT, when I rebooted it lost connection to the UPS (which was connected via USB) and insisted to try connecting on RS232 (Com-1) - there was NO option to tell it the unit was USB and the only solution was to uninstall and reinstall at which point it then magically found the USB device again, only to lose it again when I rebooted. The options when it has detected it are also greyed out, so you cannot say after how many mins of power loss you want the device to power down after - it is locked to 13 mins with no way of changing this setting - kinda irrlevent anyway as it only lasts 3 mins before panicking and shutting my PC down. AFter 4 installation attempts including in ADMIN mode, I gave up.

I emailed Trust to get support, and 2 days later they responded telling me to try another USB port and completely ignoring my issues with the battery not holding charge or even showing it was charging (saying it was fully charged) - so I sent it back and now have a similar priced APC product and it is NIGHT AND DAY!

The software is incredible (PowerChute)! It shows you everything about your unit including the current exact voltage, the amount of cost per day in power to run it and instead of simply shutting down the PC when power is lost, it hibernates it (not an option with the awful Trust software which just shuts your PC down) - a far more sensible option as there is no chance of losing any unsaved work then.

With the APC unit, "magically" on a reboot the software still manages to communicate with the device ;-)

Avoid Trust products as much as you can, and try APC! Back-UPS CS 650VA 230V

Cisco-Linksys Maximum Performance E4200 Dual-Band N Router
Cisco-Linksys Maximum Performance E4200 Dual-Band N Router

1.0 out of 5 stars faulty and had to ship to Czech Republic at MY cost, 25 Jan. 2012
An appalling product!

1. The web interface is no different than a router I bought in 2002 - TEN YEARS AGO!
2. Wireless performance was OK, but has suddenly stopped working more than 5m away - another router in the SAME position is working perfectly as a replacement.
3. Unit has been declared faulty by tech support and I have had to PAY to ship it to the Czech Republic at my own expense.
4. For this pleasure, I get a re-conditioned unit back (my unit is only 3 months old!).
5. You can ONLY put this flat on a surface, there are no wall mounts.
6. The QOS service seems to do nothing at all to my VoIP calls despite the fact that I have a 4.5mpbs upload speed.
7. Buy a DrayTek instead
8. I'm a bit fed up with it as you can tell ;-)