Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "philwoody"

Cold War: Building for Nuclear Confrontation 1946-1989: Building for Nuclear Confrontation 1946-89
by Wayne D. Cocroft

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as expected, 20 Mar. 2004
I recieved this book yesterday and have finished it already (within 4 hours), while it is undoubtedly a fascinating and revealing read it doesn't really bring anything new or previously unseen out into the open as I thought it might. For anyone who's into Cold War architecture (as I am) it's probably a must have as it is well put together, colourful and very well illustrated but don't expect to be blown away, much more can be seen on the many web sites for this subject and Cold War Secret Nuclear Bunkers by Nick McCamley reveals more in my opinion but without the luxury of so many good quality colour photo's and diagrams. I'd advise people to "try before you buy" and get it from the library first.

The Secret State: Whitehall and the Cold War
The Secret State: Whitehall and the Cold War
by Peter Hennessy

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed, 13 Feb. 2004
I quite agree with the disappointed review by "Are-puh"
I ordered this book expecting further revelations somewhat in the same sort of vein as "Secret Nuclear Bunkers" but found instead a very dry and academic read based primarily upon declassified files detailing various forms, scribblings on bits of paper and minutes from the varying commitees meetings. The author merely made references to the odd couple of bolt holes the public in general are aware of and apart from his brief description of his visit to "Turnstile" and a very vague description of Pindar the rest of the book while slightly humorous at times struggled to hold my attention. I was expecting perhaps snippits of information on some of the facilities still in use today such as the deep level tunnel system under much of central London known as Q Whitehall or even better, revelations of why Burlington, Turnstile or whatever actually lives under Box Hill is still shrouded in secrecy even today.
While I don't regret buying this book I would advise other potential buyers to consider whether they want (in my opinion) a more explicit, revealing text such as "Cold war building for nuclear confrontation" or the afore mentioned "Secret nuclear bunkers" with more illustrations and actual photographical evidence rather than supposition.
To round up: I was disappointed with the book itself but only perhaps becauseI have been spoiled already by the wealth of information already available in other books and on the web too. It still has the depth to interest but not in quite the same league as others.