Profile for Shred Head Dan > Reviews

The Borderlands [DVD]
Dvd ~ Luke Neal
Offered by zoverstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining and creepy, 9 May 2014
This review is from: The Borderlands [DVD] (DVD)
Great story and some great characters as well, throw in some genuinely creepy and chilling moments and you've got yourself a great little horror movie.

For fans of supernatural horror and the occult.

Twilight Zone - The Movie [DVD] [1983]
Twilight Zone - The Movie [DVD] [1983]
Dvd ~ Dan Aykroyd

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic slice of nostalgia, 9 May 2014
I've always had an early memory of being terrified of a huge monster-bunny I saw on telly one night when I was a kid. As I've grown older, I've always wondered if it was just a dream I had once or was it actually a real film or TV programme. When I found out it was part of this film I couldn't wait to watch it again!

What an excellent movie as well, full of interesting and creepy stories and just an absolute ton of fun!

I Saw The Devil [Blu-ray]
I Saw The Devil [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Byung-hun Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly well made, but disappointing ending, 9 May 2014
This would of been one of my favourite films of all time if we wouldn't have had the usual "moral battle" that plagues most revenge movies....I mean, the guy killed your wife and taunts you about it...rip out his insides and feed them to him and ENJOY DOING IT. THERE IS NO MORAL BATTLE.

Best part of film was second time he catches the scum and severs his achilles tendon, that was absolutely exquisite and wonderful...but went downhill after that with all the "inner turmoil" and pleading from his in-laws to stop...pathetic and annoying. Especially since the story is so damn good and it promises you so much when he tells him that "it's just beginning" after the second beat-down.

Amazingly well made and acted, but not enough punishment for my liking and when he does finally catch up with him at the end, he kills him in such a quick and pathetic way that there is no pay-off or feeling of satisfaction that he has suffered or been mentally broken down, which the story promised.

Massive let-down for me, impeccably well made, no doubt, but doesn't come close to the remake of "I Spit On Your Grave" in terms of satisfactory deaths of scum-bags.

Little Deaths - Exclusive Directors' Cut [DVD]
Little Deaths - Exclusive Directors' Cut [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Maza

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining trilogy of stories, 8 May 2014
This was something different and cool that I really enjoyed, well worth having a look at if you're a horror buff.

Bait (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Bait (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Richard Brancatisano
Offered by YouWantIt-WeGotIt

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 8 May 2014
Bait is a film full of bad stereotypes, shaky acting and some questionable CG...but it still somehow manages to be loads of fun!

The concept although sounding pretty silly on paper, actually makes for a very entertaining and enjoyable movie. Not all the shark effects are bad either...some are genuinely frightening (like when it swims past the submerged car ...yikes)!

The best of all the cheesy-type shark films in my book, this is a B-movie that doesn't KNOW it's a B-movie, if you catch my drift. So yeah, if you just wanna settle down with some popcorn and have some fun, then Bait is well worth giving a go!

I would love to watch the film in 3D as people say it looks great, but I'll have to wait until I get a 3D telly for that!

ABCs of Death, The [Blu-ray]
ABCs of Death, The [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Ingrid Bolsų Berdal

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully different and unique. Loads of fun!!, 8 May 2014
God knows why this film receives so many mixed reviews. I've been a fan of all types of horror films pretty much all my life and I thought this was absolutely AWESOME! I've seen it twice already!

The concept is just brilliant and I was astonished at the creativity and sheer imagination of some of these directors...I have no earthly idea how they came up with some of the scenarios. Some were funny, some were gruesome, some were silly and some were more dark and twisted...ALL were entertaining however! My favourites were the words for the letters D, F, H, K, L, N, Q, R, S, T, Y and Z. They were all good really but those ones stood out to me as being the most impressive creatively.

So yeah, as I said earlier I simply don't understand the negativity at all. I can only assume that people didn't properly understand what they were getting into before watching/buying this film. My recommendation is simply this:

If (like me), you think the premise of the film sounds fun, innovative, intriguing and something completely original, then watch this film!

Pretty simple really!

Subconscious Cruelty [Blu-ray]
Subconscious Cruelty [Blu-ray]
Offered by DIRECT_DVD_EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Provocative, beautiful, dark and hypnotic, 8 May 2014
Loved this movie. I'm very open-minded about the films I watch and personally enjoy films that are more transgressive and "outside the box". Subconscious Cruelty certainly fits that description.

A film that is at times beautiful and uplifting,and at others dark and unsettling, it always remains engaging and held me almost transfixed throughout. It raises questions on many important themes and delves deep into the darkest corners of the mind to present some fairly jarring imagery. However, I don't think for one second that this is a film designed only to shock, it's FAR more intellectual than some would have you believe, with much questioning of the human condition and the hypocrisy of religion.

Religion is a topic that the director feels very strongly about it seems, as there's quite a bit of anger and cynicism displayed in the movie. I myself am not deeply religious, but still found some of the imagery pretty unpleasant. That being said, I also recognise that religion has a lot to answer for in this world, war, violence, sexual discrimination, enough to justify this kind of resentment, as it's very clear that the director is trying to make a mockery of the entire notion of faith (and even the creation of life in the "Human Larvae" story). This is something which doesn't exactly sit comfortably with me (even as an agnostic), but it doesn't mean I judge the man whatsoever, as religion could have affected his life in a very negative way and would justify his wanting to anger and outrage religious people.

The film does have quite a strong degree of pessimism running throughout, with a focus on the more negative and destructive sides of the human being, but I found beauty in a lot of the imagery also. The score, although tense and creepy in parts, was gorgeous and wonderful in others, with many sweeping and uplifting themes that helped add to the dream-like quality of the bizarre imagery.

The effects work was absolutely fantastic (especially for such a low-budget production) and the performances all highly committed and at times very courageous!

So yeah, if you keep you're mind open and don't have any pre-conceived judgements about independent art-house movies, then I strongly suggest giving this one a go. An excellent effort by all involved, a daring and darkly fascinating piece of work.

The Raid [Blu-ray]
The Raid [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Iko Uwais

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathless, action-packed thrill-ride!, 8 May 2014
This review is from: The Raid [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is surely one of the most enthralling action/martial-arts movies of all time, 100% thrilling from start to finish. Featuring a simple but highly involving and tense story, great acting, relentless violence and some of the most amazing martial-arts choreography I have ever seen this side of a Tony Jaa movie (think "Ong-Bak" meets the new Judge Dredd movie and you'll be in the right ballpark).

For fans of action and martial arts, I could not recommend this more, simply a breathtaking experience that you MUST SEE!!

Dinoshark [DVD]
Dinoshark [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric Balfour

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit of fun spoiled by adolescent direction, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Dinoshark [DVD] (DVD)
I usually like the low-budget shark movies...but pointless nudity always annoys me and insults my intelligence.

Still a fun movie, with the usual funny performances and tongue-in-cheek concepts, but with all the random shirt-lifting and bikinis, feels like it's made by pre-pubescent boys (FOR pre-pubescent boys).

So yeah, bit of fun and you could probably add a star if you've never seen a half-naked woman before (or can't go 90 mins without seeing one).

The Reef [DVD]
The Reef [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrew Traucki

5.0 out of 5 stars Nerve-Shredding!, 29 April 2014
This review is from: The Reef [DVD] (DVD)
Two of my biggest fears...open water and sharks...should've known this one would frighten the life out of me and boy, did it ever do that!

This was as tense a film as I've ever seen. The decision to use a real shark was absolutely brilliant and coupled with the stark realism of the actors' performances, created an atmosphere of 100% pure terror. Watching this film was like living through a horrible nightmare at times, it made me jump, made me gasp, made my heart pound and was ultimately a purely thrilling experience...hands down best "shark" movie there is in my opinion.

If you're a big shark-film fan and are after something a bit more serious than "Mega Shark vs. Giant Cod" etc etc then please do yourself a favour and check this one out!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4