Profile for Colin Bentley > Reviews

Content by Colin Bentley

Colin Bentley (Culgoa,Victoria, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Peter: Portrait of a Serial Killer [DVD]
Peter: Portrait of a Serial Killer [DVD]
Dvd ~ Walt Kissack

1.0 out of 5 stars Total load of old rubbish !Save your money !, 21 July 2014
Total waste of money. For a start it only runs for 85 minutes ...so I felt ripped off from the beginning. I expected the story of the Peter Sutcliffe murders and how the police tracked him and eventually caught him....but no this is almost a glorification of Peter Sutcliffe and excuses for why he comitted his horrendous crimes. This DVD seems to set out to justify his crimes and make you pity him......waste of money.

Spartacus [Blu-ray] [1960]
Spartacus [Blu-ray] [1960]
Dvd ~ Kirk Douglas

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Cast and Stanley Kubrick., 3 May 2014
This is my favourite film. I love just about everything Kirk Douglas has ever done from Champion right through his briliant career. This film has one of the best casts ever assembled. Jean Simmons, Laurence Olivier, Charles Laughton. Peter Ustinov,an award winning score by Alex North and directed by Stanley Kubrick. What more could you ask for ? A great epic film with lots of pace and action. Typical of course of Hollywood, the facts are wrong....Spartacus was not born a slave. He was in the Roman Army and after desertion was given the choice of becoming a gladiator or something worse. .....and as he loved to kill he became a gladiator. But that aside it's a great movie, action packed from start to finish.

Favourite Television and Radio Themes
Favourite Television and Radio Themes

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories ! memories ! memories!, 12 April 2014
Gee this takes me back to when I was about 7 years old and living in England especially the radio themes like Coronation Scot which was theme for Paup Temple and Devils Galop the theme for Dick Barton Special Agent. I ordered a copy 2 months ago from another source but it got lost in transit, so had to buy this copy at twice the price.....but worth it.Not as onterested in the TV themes but the theme from Steptoe and Son is great. Worth waiting for.

Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Johnny Mercer Songbook
Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Johnny Mercer Songbook

4.0 out of 5 stars Last of the Songbooks., 2 Feb. 2014
By no means the best of the songbook series, that would have to go to either Rogers and Hart or Gershwin, but as the last in the series very respectable. Ella, perfect as always and great arranging from Nelson Riddle who has accompanied her on two previous albums. I think this pairing is the best of the three. Worth the money for just a few of the tracks namely This Time the Dreams on Me, Skylark, Dream and Midnight Sun.What a great lady of song she was.

On Broadway/On Broadway II
On Broadway/On Broadway II

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Goulet, 30 Oct. 2013
What a top choice of material beautifully sung and aranged. I didn't have a lot og Robert Goulet in my collection and thought this would fill the gap as I will shortly be commencing a radio programme presenting nostalgia materiel. This is a fabulous album....if you are a fan you will not be disappointed. It's worth buying for "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever"just by itself. Another great track is the uptempo "Come Back To Me" . It's one of his very early albums , but if you don't have it you will love it.

In The Still Of The Night
In The Still Of The Night
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Eckstine !, 1 Sept. 2013
I am a huge Bily Eckstine fan and some of these tracks I did not have. Alas I was very disappointed. The arrangements are strictly second rate 1940 sounding. Time On My Hands is a nice track but I'm afraid the rest just didn't push my buttons. Sorry Billy.

Stephen King Boxset [DVD]
Stephen King Boxset [DVD]
Dvd ~ Drew Barrymore

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Stephen King, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Stephen King Boxset [DVD] (DVD)
like so much Stephen King Material the boks are great but simply doesn't translate well to the screen. But overall not bad.

Titanic - A Legend Built In Belfast [DVD]
Titanic - A Legend Built In Belfast [DVD]

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 7 May 2013
This was a big disappoinment. I think it was produced as a tourist promotional vodeo for Belfast. because that's it is. I'm becoming very jaded about the Titanic, with so many people simply cashing in on the 100th anniversary but failing to offer anything different. Save your money.

Django Unchained  (DVD + UV Copy) [2013]
Django Unchained (DVD + UV Copy) [2013]
Dvd ~ Jamie Foxx
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ! Excellent ! Excellent !, 7 May 2013
If I could give this movie 6 stars I would. I'm not a particular fan of Tarantino, but I absolutely loved this from the first frame to the last. It is pure cinematic enjoyment, and that's why I watch a movie....to be entertained. Yes extremely violent and bloody but I can't put into words how much I enjoyed it. I just didn't want it to finish. Unlike many of the reviews I thought the music let it down. I does put me in mind of the early Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, but this is more so. Love it, loved it, loved it !

Flight [Blu-ray] [2012] [US Import]
Flight [Blu-ray] [2012] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington

2.0 out of 5 stars Bomb., 9 Mar. 2013
I don't know quite what I expected, but after reading several reviews, I thought I might be buying a gripping movie. I usually find Denzel Washington is a mark of a good film but this was a bitter disappointment. It's about an alcoholic who happens to be an airline pilot who at the start of the film is involved ina air crash. After that the film is a dead boor, but having said that I must add that I hate filme about addiction, be it booze or drugs. I don't want to spend two hours of my time watching a film about someone who has no willpower. Waste of money......can't work out why whey bothered making it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4