Profile for D. Young > Reviews

D. Young (UK)

Heaven [Deluxe edition]
Heaven [Deluxe edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 20 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Heaven [Deluxe edition] (Audio CD)
Classic, heartfelt material from a woman whose level of humility surprisingly matches the scale of her talent - huge. Brilliant album. Reminds me of UK soul goddess Gabrielle.

Strip Me
Strip Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Ludicrously good., 17 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Strip Me (Audio CD)
I speak as a big fan of Natasha's previous works, 'Unwritten', 'N.B.' and the North American-only release 'Pocketful of Sunshine'. On this latest offering, Ms. Bedingfield thankfully stayed true to her original sound, stuck with her roots and maintained her genuity, whilst also evolving and maturing without taking any of that original sincerity she has always possessed, away. I'm so happy that she didn't move on to a sound and feeling untrue to her i.e. the current trent of electro-pop that everybody seems to be doing these past couple of years, which although I'm not particularly against, just isn't my preferred genre of music. Natasha herself says of the meaning behind the album; "It's about being human. We all look different, but when you strip it all away, we all have similar emotions. The ups and the downs, the joys, the sorrows, and the power. The uniqueness. The magic. Nothing can take away the beauty and the power of who we are, and the power of our voices." And with that said, I'm about to head on over to Amazon.COM, to order my copy for $9, since while I really do feel the album is worth it and more, I won't be shelling out £21 on here just because it's an import, until the official UK release! If you're a fan of sincere singer/songwriter type music, that doesn't stray too far from the grain but also manages to avoid being bland, and is filled with messages of hope and love, then this is the album for you. Definitely my favourite album of 2010!

Avatar (DVD + Blu-ray)
Avatar (DVD + Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Sam Worthington
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet to view., 24 April 2010
This review is from: Avatar (DVD + Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
I didn't see the movie when it was out in the cinemas, preferring to wait until it came out on DVD to get the "full experience" I suppose you could say, but am in need of some confirmation if there's anyone who will give it. The item here is listed as "Blu-Ray + DVD" does that mean that there is a disc with the blu-ray version of the movie, and a disc with the standard DVD version of the movie?! or that they're both on one disc? or that it's just a blu-ray DVD? I hate to sound terribly ignorant, but since I don't have a blu-ray player (or the money to buy one currently) but plan on purchasing one in the near future, I figured I'd buy this version since it seems to have the standard and HD, but am not sure if that's the deal..and don't want to order it before I know for sure!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2010 10:31 PM BST

Unbroken
Unbroken

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbroken, 27 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Unbroken (Audio CD)
The title of the brilliant American Idol runner-up Katharine McPhee's new album is 'Unbroken' not 'Long Way from Home'. I don't know why it's still listed as the latter since the album cover is uploaded and clearly states the official title. Anyway, this is a brilliant album. It does contain mainly ballads, of a pop-rock/alternative/folk feel, with lyrics written by the likes of Lucie Silvas and her even singing backing vocals on the opening track as well as a couple of others, to name one of the great singers contributing to this project. There's just one featured guest on the CD, Jason Reeves on the haunting 'Terrified' which I think is definite single material. I won't give a track by track review, since I honestly once again love them all, but the first and second singles 'Had It All' & 'Say Goodbye' definitely hooked me in and made me interested in this album. I loved her first album which wasn't released fully in the UK, which was more Pop/Urban R&B, and although I was hesitant at first to hear this latest, I'm really happy with the direction she's gone in and I love how she's matured and grown as an artist, her vocals are truly lovely and the production is really good. I'd definitely recommmend this album to anybody who likes Lucie Silvas, Colbie Caillat etc. It has an authentic feel and is not McPhee attempting to gain mass mainstream appeal, which in some ways I'm sad about since her sales might not be as good as I'd hope, but there's still hope for some good promotion, and it's definitely better than any pop effort could've been.

Rated R
Rated R
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The wait is over, and she delivers., 14 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Rated R (Audio CD)
Yes, Rihanna's style this time around, sonically and physically, is darker, raw, edgy and explicit. Yes there are those that are saying she's trying too hard, is now trying to be some sort of gothic rocker chick, but this is all clearly ignorance. If you appreciate artistic development, if you appreciate growth, this is the album for you. This is by far her best album to date (in my opinion) and I see 'Disturbia' from the Good Girl Gone Bad re-release as being the perfect introduction to her new sound and image. The album features production from The Y's (new production team Justin Timberlake is a part of), will.i.am, upcoming UK act Chase & Status, Polow da Don, Ne-Yo and The-Dream with Tricky Stewart. The album is explicit, yes, and I was shocked at first to hear her say the f word, and mother f, but it fits with the whole vibe. She is maturing and developing into a true artist. She could've went with another GGGB and been considered a generic sellout, but she chose to progress, and progress she has. I'll definitely be buying this album when it's out, and I've just ordered Good Girl Gone Bad since I don't have a physical copy yet. The tracks on this are catchy, deep, raw and artistic. If you like tight production, great vocals and clever writing, and of course..Rihanna, then this is the album for you. Definitely in my top 5 of 2009, and I've loved at least 30 new albums this year. I've not included a track by track review or a favourite track note, because I love every song.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2009 1:53 AM GMT