Profile for Stu > Reviews

Content by Stu

Stu

Page: 1 | 2
Anker® New Laptop Battery for Acer Aspire 4253 4551 4552 4738 4741 4750 4771 5251 5253 5336 5349 5551 5552 5560 5733 5733Z 5741 5742 5750 5750G 5755 7551 7552G 7560 7741 7741Z 7750 7750G and Acer TravelMate 4740 4740G 5735 5735Z 5740 5740G and Gateway NV55C NV53A NV59C - 18 Months Warranty [Li-ion 6-cell 5200mAh/58WH]

1.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for 5742, 31 Aug. 2015
The long list of model numbers above that this battery supposedly works for includes 5742. Yet within a day or two mine refused to charge, and doing things like updating the drivers did nothing. Comparison between the battery and an official one shows different voltages, so I am angry that this company promotes this battery as a one size fits all solution. It doesn't.

Destiny (PS4)
Destiny (PS4)
Offered by PROGAMES

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay shooter, but not much more, 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Destiny (PS4) (Video Game)
I bought this because I realised I didn't have a FPS in my PS4 collection and I'd played the few games I have bought to death. So I thought this would tide me over until the swathe of RPGs later in the year. I suppose, with the sci fi elements, I was expecting something beautiful, and varied, and story led. Well, it looks beautiful, at least, and there's some decent action, but that's about all that I can say for it. It is quite repetitive, and seems to have gone into the online thing so much that it has forgotten that things like stories exist. It will probably keep me going for a little while, but it's a fill in game, not a long term one.

Herco Flat Thumb PickLight
Herco Flat Thumb PickLight

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither one thing nor the other, 22 Jun. 2014
When I saw these, they seemed like the obvious approach for someone who used a flat pick and wanted to get into thumb picking. Unfortunately, the sheer size of the pick means that without significant sanding down, it's not really useful for me as someone who likes to perform highly technical picking sections. It's probably okay for strumming and some passages, but I find that actually, a normal thumb pick offers a better feel when gripped like a normal pick.

Mastering Sambo for Mixed Martial Arts
Mastering Sambo for Mixed Martial Arts
by Scott Sonnon

3.0 out of 5 stars A perfectly legitimate approach, over complicated., 23 Mar. 2013
Scott Sonnon has occasionally attracted some controversy in martial arts circles. Buying this book, I didn't care. I decided to make my own mind up, try the moves for myself, and generally ignore the hyperbole. I'm quite glad I did, because Sonnon's approach does seem to be a tight, 'squashy' approach to attacking the legs. The moves are legitimate ones, and at least elements of what he does have made their way into my game. Certainly, someone looking to improve their leg locks could do worse than to read this.

There are things that I find annoying. First, the quality of the writing is terrible. It is confused, over complex, and prone to using made up terms that simply get in the way of understanding the methods involved. Even the name 'saddle' for what he is doing seems a little odd when everyone else, on seeing it, would say 'oh, a leg triangle'.

Secondly, the balance of the subjects seems off. The idea that we should triangle our legs to be more secure is given a whole chapter. Russian Sambo's devestating flying and rolling leg attacks are given next to no time. The presentation of the material isn't that clear as a result. There are also some problems with the pictures not always lining up clearly with the text.

Yet there are things I like. Sonnon probably puts more focus on ground entries to these techniques than most (although that may be because ground entries are quite difficult. I genuinely find it easier to attack with an inverted shot to the kneebar/inverted heel hook than to pull off his backstepping saddle entry against the seated guard). There is also the part where leg lacing doesn't get a lot of attention in other books on the sport, even those by people who place a strong emphasis on it online. And his techniques do have the advantage of working quite slowly, so you don't have to rush through them to be safe. There are other approaches out there, and my own methods have moved on a little since reading this, but this is certainly valid and worth trying.

The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller
The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller
by John Truby

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent alternative to other structure options, 23 Mar. 2013
First a quick note about me: I'm a ghost writer by profession with more than thirty-five novels under my belt at this point, some of which have done quite well. I need to understand the craft of writing to do my job, and this is as good a starting place as any.

I first read this at university, when I was working on one of my first novels. I liked Truby's emphasis on using the strength of the premise to keep other story elements such as plot, character, setting and so on coherent. I still find his seven basic structure steps quite useful when I'm in a hurry and if you're looking to learn how to approach structure in a formal way, this is a clear, straightforward, reasonably practical guide that offers a valid alternative to options like the Hero's Journey approach.

In terms of voice and presentation, I generally like the book. Most of what is here is quite clear, and most of it makes a certain amount of sense. Seemingly inevitably in this kind of structure book, Truby suggests that his approach is the only one that 'really' works, which is one of my pet hates, since people can and do produce beautiful works with all kinds of different approaches. More than that, I don't think anyone can ever really claim they're giving you a magic paint by numbers set with which to produce Old Masters.

So there are the usual general warnings with this sort of thing. Remember that when writers like this analyse stories and find their own system at their heart, you could just as easily turn around and find several others. Remember that an analysis of great storytelling does not necessarily equate to a guarrantee that by following those steps you will produce great work. Remember that like all books in this genre, this one is necessarily general. And remember that you can overdo it.

Having said that, I do like this book a lot, both because its approach is slightly less formulaic than some others, encouraging you to think about your story for yourself until at least the back end of it, and because it shows that there are other analyses out there beyond the standard ones.

Tap Out Textbook: The Ultimate Guide to Submissions for Grappling
Tap Out Textbook: The Ultimate Guide to Submissions for Grappling
by Steve Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of moves, but no system, 23 Mar. 2013
I bought this primarily because it is one of the few grappling textbooks with an in depth section on leg locks, and I am very much a leg locker by inclination, but also because I wanted to expand my approaches to other attacks. Please note that word 'approaches'. The actual attacks themselves are inevitably limited in number by the ways the body works. So what counts is the range of set ups and the way a writer integrates what he or she shows with an understanding of the opponent's likely responses.

There are a lot of different set ups here for moves. A lot. If you're going in looking just for an encyclopaedia of submission techniques, this is a perfectly good starting point. Many of them are only slight variations on a theme, but that is in many ways a mark of completeness. Some of the moves here are interesting and unusual, coming from very different angles.

Yet I found three or four issues with this book that have knocked a couple of stars off it. The first is that the photography isn't always great when it comes to pinning down the details. Indeed, the descriptions often seem to miss the kind of small points that are the difference between doing something and doing something really well.

A second is that there are some issues with nomenclature, so that it would be hard for someone like me who hasn't trained with the author to immediately jump in and find the moves he's looking for. Some of the names are obviously their nicknames, and that is fine, but sometimes, I found myself wondering if a minor variation really justified a new name. I also found myself wondering about the accuracy of some of the terminology. For example, we are shown a 'spladle' which in the book is synonymous with a 'banana split' both wrestling moves that can be turned into submissions. Yet a quick search online suggests that while they are related, they are different moves.

My biggest gripe is that there seems to be little rhyme or reason to what is included where. We get a collection of isolated submission set ups, but there is no sense of where they might fit into a game plan or system. We have no sense of why people are using particular guards or positions, or what might happen in response to their movements. In the leg lock section, I was disappointed to find only a very brief discussion of leg lacing, when I have found it to be one of the main things that gives me the time and control to execute attacks consistently against better opponents. There is also little sense of what is a bread and butter submission and what is more of a rarity.

I think that this lack of a sense of how things fit together is part of why I haven't used many of the moves here. I can see the movements, and certainly perform the leg attacks physically, yet they are individual events floating in the ether for me, and not steps along a single road.

Flying Colors [Limited Edition]
Flying Colors [Limited Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars An album that rewards multiple listens, 23 Mar. 2013
I bought this primarily because I'm a Steve Morse fan, and there's certainly plenty of him on this album, but the best part is that it's more than just him. You have a quintet of great musicians working at the top of their games, playing wonderfully put together songs that have just enough of a pop/rock sensibility while still having room for them to stretch out.

Jim Dunlop SI Moonshine Slide Md
Jim Dunlop SI Moonshine Slide Md

4.0 out of 5 stars A good choice for slide players looking for something new, 23 Mar. 2013
I'm one of those slide players with a whole collection of different slides in materials ranging from glass to brass to chrome. I even went for one of the medicine bottle ones once. Currently, this is my favourite. It has a tone that is as articulate as glass, but with some of the depth and warmth that you get from brass. It is one of the few slides I've come across that likes both clean and higher gain tones, and its ceramic structure means it doesn't get foggy, slick and horrible after a few tunes. The only slight quibble comes when selecting sizes, since mine is in an awkward spot where it's a fraction big for my little finger, and I have to really work to get it off again with my ring finger. It also costs a little more than a cheap brass one for those players whose slide isn't their main thing. It's worth it, though.

Doughnut
Doughnut

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Holt's Best, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Doughnut (Kindle Edition)
This is a perfectly okay story of quantum physics, alternate worlds and everymen sucked into the unusual, with a side order of over the top similies and cynicism. So far, so Tom Holt, and as I have read all his comic fantasy novels, I think it's fair to say I'm a fan of the style. Yet we seem to have gone back to that problem he has when he does time travel, where the plot is essentially meaningless and all explained at the end, and where the mechanics involved slightly overtake the characterisation and joy of it. Even the comic elements seem to fall a little flat with this one. A fan will be reasonably happy with it, and I was, but I don't have any particular plans to re-read it.

Inovalley CH10CD-N - (Black) HIFI System CD Player - 2 x 25 Watt Speakers
Inovalley CH10CD-N - (Black) HIFI System CD Player - 2 x 25 Watt Speakers

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic mistakes ruining an item that could have been perfectly adequate, 23 Mar. 2013
I did not buy this item expecting a top of the line hi-fi. I just wanted a functional way to play CDs MP3s and radio. This seemed like a good way to do it, yet I have had nothing but trouble since it first arrived around a week ago. The very first thing I noticed was that it did not feature a UK plug, which is unacceptable for an electrical item sold through a site aimed at the UK. Today, when the sellers sent me a euro-UK plug adapter, I finally started to set it up and noticed other probelms. A basic but fundamental one: it is not level, meaning it wobbles when I press any of the buttons. It might sound like a minor thing, but when it feels like you're about to push the thing over every time you change CD tracks, or press the button to close the CD tray, it's actually quite important.

That is an annoyance, but a bigger one is the radio aerial, which cannot pick up anything but fuzz despite being in the same space occupied by my previous system, which functioned more than adequately when it came to radio.

The only reasons I'm giving it even the second star are that A: it works for CDs and MP3s, so does some of what it is designed to do. B: the sellers have been very helpful so far.

Page: 1 | 2