Profile for SkippyRoo > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
WOOD SMOKE WoodWick HIGHLY FRAGRANCED Reed Diffuser 3oz
WOOD SMOKE WoodWick HIGHLY FRAGRANCED Reed Diffuser 3oz
Offered by House of Fragrances

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a scent for people who hate all that smelly crap, 29 Feb. 2016
I hate smelly candles and that sort if from-from rubbish. I hate mist florals, I hate fruit scents, I hate vanilla, and I REALLY hate scents that are supposed to smell like food. If I wanted a bloody cupcake, I'd bake a bloody cupcake.
So imagine my surprise when I came across this scent in a store and liked it.
So I got the reed diffuser, and it made my house smell nice and didn't make me nauscious. Sorry to say that is not the case with all Woodwick scents, even the woody/oriental ones.
It lasted about four weeks, but you can top it if with unscented baby oil to stretch it out that little bit longer.

Managing My Money: Banking and Budgeting Basics
Managing My Money: Banking and Budgeting Basics
by Natalie Hale
Edition: Spiral-bound

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but for lower levels, 5 Dec. 2012
I thought this book was great because of the spiral binding and comprehension questions throughout. But unfortunately it is at too low a level that I was looking for. It would be great for primary students or the developmentally disabled (in fact it is aimed at Down Syndrome young adults, I think). But for everyday teenagers - even below average intelligence teenagers! - it is simply too condescending and they would be insulted. Shame, cause it's the right idea - basic ideas, comprehension questions, practice - just not for everyday teens. Item returned.

Money and Teens: Savvy Money Skills
Money and Teens: Savvy Money Skills
by Wesley Karchut

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for American Teens - Not So Great for British Teens, 3 Dec. 2012
This book covers all the basic money concepts a teen needs to know. However, as one can tell from the Quarter on the cover, it is American. As such, it is great for American teens, but not really as useful for British teens. It is true that some concepts such as budgeting hold true in all countries, but it is also the case that those chapters are only a few of them and that content can be found in many places. Where this book would be valuable is in the extra information, like on work, taxes, and other things. But again - AMERICAN. If you're American or have teens going to live in America, then this could be useful. If you're British, get #yourmoney which I also bought. I returned this book.

13: Game of Death [DVD]
13: Game of Death [DVD]
Dvd ~ Krissada Terrence
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thriller, 12 May 2012
This review is from: 13: Game of Death [DVD] (DVD)
We really enjoyed this movie. We watch a lot of thriller/horror movies, and this combined comedy and violence and action well. Comedy is very situational, not so much slapstick. Violence ranges from mild to decapitation. Acting top notch. Recommend.

An Introduction to Haiku
An Introduction to Haiku
by Harold G. Henderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Introduction to Haiku... Ever!, 9 Oct. 2011
The other review is completely accurate in the pros and cons of this book, but it is still the most accessible and complete introduction to haiku I've seen. If you read this book and do not come out with a better appreciate and passion for haiku, then you shouldn't ever write haiku.

If you are a reader or writer of general poetry, or have a burgeoning interest in Japanese culture, then this book will open the door to new perspectives.

Haiku: Poetry Ancient & Modern: An Anthology
Haiku: Poetry Ancient & Modern: An Anthology
by Jackie Hardy

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag of Poems, 9 Oct. 2011
I'm a fan of haiku, and also have Henderson's Intro to Haiku, Blyth's four-book series on the subject and Kerouac's book of haiku. The first two authors spend a great deal of time going into the background and interpretation of different haiku. This book doesn't. So if you are looking for in-depth discussion of haiku, this is not the book for you.

The poems are presented by themselves, one or two to a page, in large clear typeface, with pictures scattered throughout. Although most haiku are traditionally classed by season, this book separates the poems by element: wood, fire, earth, metal and water.

The poems are a mix of Japanese classics like Issa and Basho and Western authors. It does not provide years, so I can't tell you how old the non-Japanese poems are. (A bibliography discussing each author would have been a nice addition.)

To be honest I found that the Western haiku were a genuine mixed bag. My favourite was by Dee Evetts: "morning sneeze/the guitar in the corner/resonates". A close second, on the opposite page was by Brian Cater: "this long recession:/at the end of my tee-square/a spider starts work". Throughout you will find some very charming Western haikus.

But a large number just irritate me. Like this one by George Marsh: "on a rusty buoy/the fog bell feels/each melancholy wave". Or this one by Susan Rowley: "morris dancers/tread old patterns/into summer turf". All too often when reading I would find a haiku I particularly liked, and would find out it was by a classic Japanese haiku artist. Doesn't place English haiku in a very good light. One wonders how these modern haiku were chosen and by whom. Was it a monkey with a set of darts? There is little context (as compared to my book of Kerouac's haiku) and the end result is random words spewing out into the great nothingness.

There are better books of haiku out there.

Dr. Marten's 1490 Original, Unisex-Adult Boots
Dr. Marten's 1490 Original, Unisex-Adult Boots
Price: £70.00 - £232.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Great winter boots, 22 Dec. 2010
You know all that snow that's on the ground? And how it turns to ice after people walk on it? I bought these boots in September, and now in December (after I broke them in) my feet are WARM, COMFY, and best of all, NOT SLIPPING. Best. Boots. Ever.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2011 3:01 PM GMT

Home Made Wines & Beers
Home Made Wines & Beers
by Ben Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Good general primer, 22 Dec. 2010
Absolutely great book for beginners. Covers sanitation, equipment, recipes, common problems, and the fermentation process for both wines and beers. Admittedly, some of the equipment might be a bit out of date by now, but wine and beer always brew the same, and the suggestions for fruit and vegetable wines are great.

Complete Vegetarian Cookbook
Complete Vegetarian Cookbook
by Hunt Janet

4.0 out of 5 stars Transatlantic cookbook, 22 Dec. 2010
Best thing about this cookbook: the ingredients are in both metric and imperial, so the book can be used by both Brits ("aubergine") and Americans ("eggplant"). I'm American, so it's a great shortcut for me.

This book is good for "recipes on a theme" -- looking for different things to put on your baked potato? No problem! They're all grouped together here. Has a section titled "For Growing Appetites" for kids, but really a no-brainer. Cheese pizza? Really? Surprise! The recipes are vegetable vegetarian -- no meat substitutes, but some tofu. The main dishes can be creative, like the Gougere or Aubergine Italian-style. Some Indian dishes included (though that's pretty British, too).

Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Cookery
Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Cookery
by Rose Elliot

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag for Mixed Veg, 22 Dec. 2010
My husband is vegetarian, and I only started cooking vegetarian for him. Our copy is his, and was probably bought from the first run in 1988. The recipes are all vegetable vegetarian -- no meat substitutes, and very little tofu (if any). The recipes range from dead obvious (fruit salad or porridge) to amazingly complex (stripy vegetable pate with sweet pepper sauce or spinach roulade with mushroom and soured cream filling). Has an index, and nods to vegans. Not sure if these comments apply to later editions or not.

Page: 1 | 2