Profile for Chappers > Reviews

Content by Chappers

Chappers "chappers" (LONDON, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Walkthrough for Cut the Rope
Walkthrough for Cut the Rope

3.0 out of 5 stars Video link walkthrough - a bit iffy, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Walkthrough for Cut the Rope (App)
Free app which contains links to individual YouTube videos of solutions to each Cut The Rope puzzle. The videos are quick & clear, but the app has a tendency to stop working, particularly if you rush it.

Atlantis Adventures
Atlantis Adventures

4.0 out of 5 stars Demo of Call of Atlantis, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Atlantis Adventures (App)
If you enjoy Match-3 games, then try this free demo of the extremely addictive 'Call of Atlantis' paid app. It gives you a very good flavour of the proper game with 6 of the simplest levels to try ('Call of Atlantis' has 51 levels). You can also check whether you can stand the background music - though at least you can turn it off!

Jacksons Of Piccadilly Fairtrade 80 Teabags 250 g
Jacksons Of Piccadilly Fairtrade 80 Teabags 250 g
Offered by Cooking Marvellous

5.0 out of 5 stars A bright tea that never palls, 1 Feb 2013
I've tried lots of teabags over the years but this is by far my favourite blend. It has a 'brightness' to it which I find appealing at all times of the day, unlike Yorkshire (too heavy) or Typhoo (too bland). I'm finding it more difficult to source this Jacksons Fairtrade in my local supermarkets since the main-brand teas seem to be taking over the shelves, so I was delighted to find that Amazon is now stocking it in their 'Subscribe and Save' grocery section. Yummy - and delivered to my door!

The Shapenote Album
The Shapenote Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyous, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Shapenote Album (MP3 Download)
I stumbled across this wonderful album whilst searching out traditional carols. I almost bought An American Christmas: Shapenote Carols from New England & Appalachia by the same Tudor Choir, but opted for this non-seasonal album instead. There's something about unaccompanied singing that reaches deep inside me, and this selection is magical. Full of joy, enthusiasm and uncluttered faith.

Murder, She Wrote (PC CD)
Murder, She Wrote (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy peasy but quite fun, 1 Feb 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Murder, She Wrote (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
This is a simple point-and-click Hidden Objects game, with the additional challenge of blanked-out vowels in the list of the objects to be found. There are also a few extra puzzles thrown into the mix. There's no murder-mystery-solving to be done, as Jessica and her friends do all that - in fact, as someone else has commented, there's an awful lot of chat!! It's a very linear game, in that you must solve each problem before you can move on, and you can't move on to the next case until you've completed the one you're on. However, you can't really go wrong as there are additional hints (to the point of spoon-feeding) for each problem if you get stuck. It took me a couple of leisurely days to work through it. The CD loaded and worked fine on Windows Vista.

The one thing about this game that does stand out is its lovely artwork. Jessica, Seth, Amos, plus Cabot Cove and its interiors are really well done, and stay with you long after the games are finished. It would have been nicer, though, if Jessica didn't wear exactly the same outfit in each of the 5 cases! I guess it saved on drawing. As with all hidden object games it's not something with much replay value, but I might just load this up again in a year or so.

Joseph Joseph Stretch Silicone Pot Stand - Pink
Joseph Joseph Stretch Silicone Pot Stand - Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful & practical, 1 Feb 2013
I bought 2 of these (one bright pink, one black) as a present for a couple who'd just had their kitchen refitted, and these pot stands went down very well indeed. Surprisingly heavy, but they pack away into a corner of a drawer when not in use rather than cluttering up a beautiful new worktop!

The picture on Amazon makes the pink one look a little sickly, but it's actually a true deep hot pink.

Daylight Floorstanding Reading, Art & Craft Lamp D23030-01
Daylight Floorstanding Reading, Art & Craft Lamp D23030-01
Offered by Sew and So

3.0 out of 5 stars Ugly efficient beast, 31 Jan 2013
This daylight floor lamp does its job, as it produces a non-flickering bright light for my hobby work. Frankly, however, it is the ugliest piece of kit that I have in my home. With its long, large bulbous head on the end of its stalk-like neck, it reminds me strongly of the 1953 film 'War of The Worlds'. Nor is the main stem as flexible as claimed. The picture on Amazon is presumably of a different model, since the upright on mine won't flex at all; it's built with a solid upright and solid top curve, and only the part nearest the light bends up/down and back/forth. (A picture of the actual model supplied is on RNIB's website.) The magnifier stem thankfully is much more flexible but seems unwilling to bend to just the right angle I need. I've found that to see comfortably I have to move my work around, rather than the magnifier bending to my will. When seated at a desk the light is at neck height and the magnifier at chest height. It's not possible to adjust the overall height. I've tried using it to read in my armchair, but the magnifier arm isn't long enough to extend fully over my chair arm onto my book.

All in all an unsatisfactory purchase. I'm keeping it simply because it would be such a hassle to try to repack and return it, but I wish I'd bought a more flexible - and a more beautiful - lamp!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2013 1:11 PM BST

Scotch C60 Magic Tape Dispenser - Silver - with 1 Roll of Magic Tape Supplied - For tape 19 mm x 10 m

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of room for a 19mm x 33m tape, 9 Jan 2013
After yet another season of wrapping Xmas presents with my sticky tape dangling from a desk edge, I finally made a useful decision and bought this rather smart Scotch dispenser. Nice and heavy, and quite a neat size (approx 6" long, 2" wide and 3" high). All of my various 3/4" small tapes fit onto its central core/drum, some more snugly than others. Once loaded with a tape, the drum then drops securely into the body of the dispenser and doesn't pop up unexpectedly when I pull on the tape. So all in all a good design. The roll of Magic Tape supplied with this item was in fact 19mm x 33m, not the 10m advertised, so that was a nice surprise!

LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD)
LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD)
Offered by Startup Media

5.0 out of 5 stars You need a controller to get the best game experience, 14 Dec 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is just a warning to potential buyers who aren't already geared up with a game controller for their pc. I can't really comment on the game itself as I'm only a few levels into it, though I'm enjoying it immensely as it's delightfully off-the-wall in a non-threatening kind of way.

Not having played video games since 'Tomb Raider' (oh how that ages me!), I couldn't resist buying this Lego LOTR game for my Windows Vista laptop. Alas, on installing it, I found that the Read Me file says: "For the best game experience it is recommended that you play LEGO® The Lord of the Rings(tm) using a dual analog game pad with six buttons. You will be unable to tip-toe /walk slowly when using a keyboard."

I ploughed on regardless but found the keyboard controls horrendously hard work (such as trying to select the right character), and for some things impossible to achieve. I finally hit a wall during 'Weathertop', where my keystrokes simply did nothing. So I caved in and bought this excellent controller Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - Black (PC) which installed without a hitch. The game recognised the controller immediately and now properly displays on-screen prompts etc. Quite an expensive addition to my little detour into pc gameplay, but now at last I can enjoy this amusing game as it was meant to be played!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2013 1:50 PM GMT

Scrooge (2-Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD]
Scrooge (2-Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alastair Sim
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag of 'Scrooge' in b&w and colour, 9 Dec 2012
This is a review of the 2-disc Collector's Edition of 'Scrooge' Scrooge (2-Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD], a boxed set which includes both the original Black & White release from 1951, a 'Colourised' version of the same film, and a varied set of extras. I found this set to be a mixed bag of delights.

The 'digitally restored' black & white version is generally very decent, with good clear image detail and sound. However the picture suffers from too much contrast between glaring whites and deep blacks, which I found a strain until I changed my tv setting to a dimmer mode.

The 'colourised' version on the 2nd disc is rather woeful, because the transfer has chopped off some of the original picture. This was most noticeable in the Jacob Marley & First Ghost scenes, where the top half of characters' heads were missing! No matter which tv setting I used - even on 4:3 ratio - I wasn't able to view the whole picture as it was meant to be. Given that I'd bought this double-dvd set so that I could occasionally watch the tepid colour version, I feel rather short-changed.

There are quite a few extras on the discs - none too exciting, unless you're interested in a rather bored George Cole trying to summon up memories of a film made 55 years earlier! Alas there are no subtitles nor trailers. If you want a full breakdown of all the extras, search through the previous reviews for Trevor Willsmer's excellent one of 17 May 2011.

This box set was published by DD Home Entertainment in 2005, so if you're just looking for a decent b&w print of 'Scrooge' you could perhaps try Scrooge [DVD] [1951] which was produced by the same company in 2008.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12