Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now
Profile for Gizzer > Reviews

Content by Gizzer

Gizzer (Hampshire, UK)

Gadgets World Pull Tab PU Leather Pouch Cover Case Only Fits Sony Xperia Z2 + STYLUS TOUCH PEN. (Black)
Offered by GADGETS WORLD

2.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT for Z2!, 18 May 2014
This is NOT a pouch for the Xperia Z2! When mine arrived I could instantly see that it was too big. I even commented to my wife that I bet it's for a larger phone like a Samsung Tab.

Sure enough a colleague of mine owns a Galaxy Tab 2 and it was a perfect fit!

I've given the review two stars purely because it does cover the Z2, but I wouldn't want to drop it because the phone will come flying out!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget, finally available in the UK, 23 Mar. 2014
Great product. Only does one thing (streaming from smartphone / tablet), but it doe a it very well.

Great for watching YouTube or BBC iPlayer on a big screen. Other apps that support this are appearing all the time, so I would expect 4oD, ITV player etc to all support this at some point, as well as things like Now Tv and Amazon Streaming Video.

Extremely easy to set up and configure too.

Gadget Giant HTC One (2013) Black PU Leather Pull Tab Protective Pouch Case Cover & LCD Touch Screen Stylus
Offered by Gadget Giant

2.0 out of 5 stars This is not for an HTC One, 2 May 2013
Aside from the fact that the product photo shows an iPhone 4 inside it, I was willing to go ahead and purchase because the product is clearly described as a 'HTC One (2013) Black Pouch'.

It arrived promptly but I immediately suspected the fit would be wrong. It was definitely bigger than an iPhone 4 case but the HTC One protrudes around 5mm from the top of the case and is clearly unprotected should you drop it. Unsurprisingly a Galaxy S3 fits perfectly which confirmed my fear that this is really for a completely different product (the S3). My search for an HTC One case on Amazon has shown several products being sold as an HTC One case, only to turn out to be for the Galaxy S3.

It's a shame because this is exactly the style of case I was looking for.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Lockheed Martin F16CJ Fighting Falcon (Block 50) - 1:48 Aircraft - Tamiya
Lockheed Martin F16CJ Fighting Falcon (Block 50) - 1:48 Aircraft - Tamiya
Offered by japanstore,

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely well made, 17 Mar. 2013
Tamiya's 1/48 F-16 is acknowledged as one of the best Viper kits out there due to its excellent detail and precision moulding. I can definitely see why - everything so far has fitted together seamlessly.

When I eventually finish it I will try and upload a photo.

Revoltech Danboard Mini Yotsuba&! Action Figure Amazon.co.jp Box Version
Revoltech Danboard Mini Yotsuba&! Action Figure Amazon.co.jp Box Version

5.0 out of 5 stars So cool!, 17 Mar. 2013
Extremely pleased with this. After stumbling across pictures of Danbo on Flickr I always thought that I would get one eventually - especially as my children hate being the subject of my photography!

Now I have an extremely expressive model that won't complain if it has to hold a pose for more than ten seconds!

Build Your Own ASP.NET 4 Web Site Using C# & VB, 4th Edition
Build Your Own ASP.NET 4 Web Site Using C# & VB, 4th Edition
by Timmothy Posey

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of errors - and that's just the first chapter!, 11 April 2012
As per the review title, the book fails right at chapter 1. The chapter mixes screenshots from the 3rd edition of the book even down to asking you to code the web page title as "Welcome to Build your own ASP.NET 3.5 Website" (When this book is obviously Build Your Own ASP.NET 4 Website).
I could almost forgive this as a small typo, but for the fact it is fundamentally wrong to the way that Visual Web Developer 2010 generates that Default.aspx page compared to the way Visual Web Developer 2008 generates the boiler plate code.

A paragraph clearly says to delete the code on the page and type in the code snippet (which is from the 3rd Edition of the book!). Doing that erases the page directive that includes the default.aspx code-behind file. Which means the page then of course can't work.

To complicate things, a screenshot it then shown displaying the expected result - a result that is impossible to achieve because you've just deleted the code that calls the site template. If you get clever and leave the page directive in, it still can't work if you use the code snippet because the code generated by Web Developer 2010 isn't meant to work with the code snippet from the 3rd edition of the book!

I'd like to add that I'm a developer of 10 years or so, and although I'm new to .NET, the errors here are glaring - and I'm not misreading them.

Just to confirm this, I've started chapter two and the very first code snippets on pages 30 and 31 are all from the 3rd edition of the book again - even asking you to type in "ASP.NET 3.5" as the page title!!

Interestingly, the Sitepoint website shows that this edition of the book currently has no errata! The mind boggles....

I would love feedback from the previous reviewers that give this five stars. Were they reading a magical version of the book without any of these errors?!

Essentially the 4th edition appears to be a rush job, with no quality control.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2012 3:15 PM BST

The Non-Designer's Design Book
The Non-Designer's Design Book
by Robin Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful, 13 May 2010
I really enjoyed reading this book and learned an awful lot from it.

Interestingly some of the topics covered design rules that I was already subconsciously adhering to. But as the book says several times: being able say why something is right or wrong (because you know what design principle is being used/broken) gives you power over the design and the capability to correct it.

I'd recommend it to any techy and/or non designer as an essential read.

Remember: Be Bold!!!

Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver
Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver
Offered by Mytoyfactory

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy.... But the sound stopped working after just two days, 10 April 2010
**UPDATE** (7th July 2010)
Well, FOUR sonic screwdrivers later, it looks like the problem has been fixed! It appears that the original version of this screwdriver eventually breaks if you try and use the two "hidden" sounds (it somehow blows the sound chip) - but if you don't use the hidden sounds then everything is ok. At any rate I picked up my fifth screwdriver today & was surprised to find that it now makes the "David Tennant" screwdriver sounds (if you have that toy then you already know the sound). So it appears Character Toys have secretly acknowledged the problem by swapping sounds chips to the older 10th Doctor screwdriver sound effects. Bit of a shame as I liked the newer sound, but at least (hopefully) it won't break now.

Original review:
This a great toy/replica and the sliding machanism seems very sturdy (which I wasn't expecting). However, only after having it two days the sound has stopped working - it literally stopped "mid-buzz". A change of batteries has not fixed it either.

Looks like there is a real flaw with the electronics.....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2010 8:14 PM BST

Livescribe 2GB Pulse Smartpen
Livescribe 2GB Pulse Smartpen

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing device!, 26 Sept. 2009
I love this Smartpen! Ever since I saw the original Anoto pens years ago I was always fascinated with the idea of electronic pen capture, but it's not until the Pulse Smartpen was released that I finally found my dream product!

The fact that you can record voice as well as the actual ink completely makes it for me - All of a sudden meetings, personal journals, study notes etc. take on a whole new perspective when you include sound as well as your written notes.

Genius!

Everyone needs a Pulse smartpen!!!