Shop now Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now
Profile for R. Rigby > Reviews

Content by R. Rigby

R. Rigby "foolbritannia" (Harrogate, the Great County of Yorkshire)

I Want An Alien For Christmas
I Want An Alien For Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 April 2015
Best damn Christmas song ever...

Good Omens: The BBC Radio 4 dramatisation (BBC Radio 4 Dramatisations)
Good Omens: The BBC Radio 4 dramatisation (BBC Radio 4 Dramatisations)
by Neil Gaiman
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect. Just perfect., 14 April 2015
I bought the paperback of this when I was about eighteen. I'd discovered Pratchett at school and figured if his name was on the cover it must be good. It was. I assumed it would have been a film ages ago, but it never happened.

Then Radio 4 made this.

It's perfect. All the characters sound exactly as I imagined them, and it leaves the special effects to my imagination, which is perhaps where they work best. It even features a cameo by Pratchett and Gaiman. If you liked the book, you will love this. If you've never read the book, buy this AND the book. If you didn't like the book, buy this and realise how wrong you were, and then buy the book.

The Complete Rainbow Orchid (The Rainbow Orchid)
The Complete Rainbow Orchid (The Rainbow Orchid)
by Garen Ewing

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book - and I'm a 43 year old ..., 14 April 2015
6-8? 6 to 68 maybe! I loved this book - and I'm a 43 year old English Teacher! Great swash-buckling fun for "kids of all ages", it took me back to Tin Tin, the old Republic/RKO serials I watched on telly as a kid and the Indiana Jones series of films. (Well, the frst three anyway - we don't talk about the fourth...) Fast paced plot, engaging characters, excellent artwork worthy of Herge himself, an absorbing, exciting, challenging read for younger readers, an entertaining romp for young adult readers and a shot of pure, heavenly nostalgia for middle aged kids like me!

I can't recommend this book highly enough. Seriously, don't buy one, buy two, because once you've read it you will talk about it to your friends endlessly, and you won't want to lend them your copy in case you don't get it back, so you really will need a spare!

Melanie's Marvelous Measles
Melanie's Marvelous Measles
by Stephanie Messenger

1.0 out of 5 stars This could get children killed., 2 Jan. 2013
Children die of measles in the UK every year. Not many, I'll grant you, but that's no comfort if it's your kid. There is nothing marvelous about measles. Encouraging people to htink otherwise is downright irresponsible.

Findings
Findings
by Kathleen Jamie

5.0 out of 5 stars An eloquent evocation of place and feeling., 28 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Findings (Paperback)
Findings, by Kathleen Jamie is a startling evocation of place. Jamie presents a collection of essays and observations of her native Scotland, bringing a poet's eye to the landscape and city skylines. There is a keen awareness of the beauty of the natural world, and of the artifacts built by people, be they ruined bothys in isolated glens, the monuments of Edinburgh or a preserved specemin in a jar.
It is always a joy to see the world as others do, and Kathleen Jamie is generous and eloquent in her observations. A book to make you open your eyes and love the world again - as such, it is highly recommended.