Profile for Akaibi Vine > Reviews

Essential Car Care for Girls
Essential Car Care for Girls
by Danielle McCormick

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good :) !, 16 Mar. 2009
Bought this for my Mum, who has finally learned to drive at the age of 35. It does look a bit chavvy from the outside, and even in some bits inside, but really does have relevant information that seems to have been really useful to her and she was pleasantly surprised when she started reading it! It tells you stuff you really need to know without overcomplicating things, has good pictures and little bits of advice for Girl drivers out there, a really good buy.

Sex And The City: The Complete Season 5 [DVD]
Sex And The City: The Complete Season 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sarah Jessica Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite!, 21 Sept. 2008
This is my absolute favourite of all 6 seasons, though I wish there was a 4 and a half star rating, as this season is soooo short, 8 episodes if I remember rightly (maybe 10) compared to the tohers which generally have 18 or 20.

Obviously you should watch them all as Sex and the City really is best enjoyed from start to finish, but this series is a real gem :)

Sex and the City: The Movie - Extended Cut (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Sex and the City: The Movie - Extended Cut (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sarah Jessica Parker
Offered by Live Long and Prosper R.I.P 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good :) !, 21 Sept. 2008
I went to see this movie on opening night and went back 3 more times, I love it so much, it's made me cry every time, but definately gets more upbeat as it goes on and has some real funny bits, particularly with Charlotte. A really great end to an amazing programme, which I still miss! I'm so gutted it's over, but if you're still feeling the blues, this should pick you up.

I pre-ordered this 2 disc edition from Zavvi (sorry Amazon) and got it three days before release, which is how I'm reviewing it now, after finally getting round to watching it. I definately noticed the extra bits in the film, but obvoiusly they're nothing life changing, just cut out to make the film a shorter 2 and a half hours - yes, it's mammoth - but yeah, the extra bits don't make a real difference, the main scene added was a hallowe'en bit with Lily in, which was sweet, and a bit longer trying on Carrie's clothes from her wardrobe earlier in the film. So in my opinion, they don't add much, but the extra disc with interviews and on-set footage is good, and there's a nice long bit with Pat Field and the girls talking about the wardrobe, amongst other things, and there's directors commentary, but I haven't faced that as of yet, I've spent a whole afternoon playing around with the discs and stuff though, so it'll keep you amused for quite a while.

There's no need to go on and on about the actual film, I can't understand why any Sex and the City fan wouldn't like it but there has been mixed reviews I suppose. I admit there's a few bits that were less than perfect but it's a 2 and a half hour film, it can't all be breath taking! Definately a must for any fan - or even SATC virgins! As the premier approached, I found out two of my best friends had never watched the series, and they both came to see it more than once, and loved it :) Though, if you only want this edition for the longer version of the film I don't know if it's worth it, if you want to see the extra stuff on the second disc then go for it!

Enjoyyyy

The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid
The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid
by Bill Bryson

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 19 Aug. 2008
I bought this book without knowing anything about Bill or his following, what her wrote or how he wrote. It was literally a last minute buy before a 2 week holiday. I'd finished before the end of the first week.

I was instantly drawn in by his characteristic writing style, which is playful and informative as ever. I loved learning about his childhood and all the events which surrounded it. I was literally in awe. I'd never read like this before.

So after a week and a half in Cyprus with nothing to read, I was home and went to a bookstore to buy another of his (Notes from a Large Country) which I loved as well.

I've read a few of his now, but still none beat this. And no other writers compare. Read this book!

Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005]
Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Jake Gyllenhaal

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 19 Aug. 2008
Basically, everyone else seems to have just said the plot of the film. I will say that this movie is one of the most beautiful, amazing films ever made and is best watched alone, with a clear mind. Heath Ledger is commonly said to have given a brilliant performance, which I agree with completely, on parr with his last complete role as the Joker. However, I do feel Jake Gyllenhaal is very underrated in this film, I love his performance, particularly at the start of the film, though his character's actions begin to get on my nerves towards the end, this doesn't take away from the magnificent ending, which could not be bettered. I have never watched it without crying.

Factory Girl [DVD]
Factory Girl [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sienna Miller
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 19 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Factory Girl [DVD] (DVD)
I really don't understand how people can be so malicious about this movie. I was hesitant about watching it as I thought it looked good, but I really wasn't a Miller fan. But having watched it, I honestly loved it. I'm not saying it couldnt be improved, because couldn't everything? But I thought Sienna, Hayden and Guy were really good, I loved the used of music in the film which helped put it in the era it belonged, costumes were great and I generally really liked it, people criticise that it blames Warhol for Edie's demise, but honestly, they weren't there and neither was I, so we can't judge, although Andy was known to be kind of manipulative, and the same people also say Guy Pearce acted him brilliantly. I'd also like to say that my two best friends were sceptical, both telling me that they hated Sienna Miller, but one night I made them watch it, as it's definately in my top 5 favourites. So we all sat and watched it and they admitted afterwards that they loved it. All in all, a great paced film, which will probably make you want to live in the sixties and be part of the it group. Watch it with an open mind.

Fat Chance! (Livewire Books for Teenagers)
Fat Chance! (Livewire Books for Teenagers)
by Leslea Newman

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't compete with others, 19 Aug. 2008
I felt like this book only really addressed issues on the surface, wasn't very well written and was way too simplistic. I didn't feel like I could connect with the main character, in fact, I just didn't care about her. I was really not impressed with this story at all. I think it would've been better if it followed Nancy's story instead, though I don't think the author has the talent to handle that story.