Profile for Vanessa Kimbell > Reviews

Content by Vanessa Kimbell

Vanessa Kimbell "Vanessa Kimbell" (England)

Yes, Chef! 20 Great British Chefs 100 Great British Recipes
Yes, Chef! 20 Great British Chefs 100 Great British Recipes
by James Winter
Price: 16.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes Chef introduces the personalities behind the Flavours, 17 Nov 2010
As I write my own book I can't help noticing the other books on the market. What is increasing obvious is that to stand out, a book has to have something extra. It is not enough just to be delicious these days. The recipe book consumer wants more. James Winter and James Bulmer have written Yes Chef. It is about 20 great British Chefs and has 100 recipes from them. It is fair to consider some of these top chefs as artists and whist this wonderful book certainly does give you a full display of food art, it was the superb introductions to each chef that caught my eye. This is certainly different enough to make me to want to review it.

Yes Chef gives a selection of recipes. Yes - they are all delicious. But what makes it work is a sense of personality behind each chef. The introductions give a sense of history, personality and influence in a way that makes you not only want to try the recipes .. but also reading about them made me want to head straight to the phone to book a table in the chef's restaurant.

For instance Chef Matt Tebbutt learnt to Fly with the Air Squadron at Oxford Brooks University. The idea of a chef that can fly strangely made me want to try out his spiced poached pear with Gorgonzola honey so much more. Or Jason Atherton, who left home with out telling his mum what he was up to, as he headed to London to end up as one of tour leading chefs. Now doesn't that bit of stubborn determined personality doesn't make you want to try his Roast Rack of Lamb with Shepherds pie?

In this way the book is unique. There are plenty of delicious recipe books on the market but this book. Yes Chef, has a far tastier extra. This book has captured the flavor of the chef as a person, which makes it for me, a must read.

Cook: A year in the kitchen with Britain's favourite chefs
Cook: A year in the kitchen with Britain's favourite chefs
by Rebecca Seal

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy one cook book this year .. make it this one., 21 Oct 2010
Cook. For me this book has to go straight on to the pile of must have books for 2010. It's just beautiful. The instructions are clear. The information is useful and concise. I love the synopsis of who each chef is above each recipe. It's fun, up to date, interesting and beautifully shot showing you exactly how the food looks. Considering all the different contributors - the instructions are given in a precise and consistent way that made me want to cook from it immediately. I made a fabulous Chickpea, leek and fennel soup from the October chapter - it's great to cook from.

The benchmark of a great cookbook to me is if it makes me want to rush in the kitchen and start to cook delicious food. Well this is aptly named because It did just that. It made me cook.

The Great Book of Yorkshire Pudding
The Great Book of Yorkshire Pudding
by Rosemary Shrager
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars The really Great book of Yorkshire Pudding, 20 Oct 2010
My father once asked my mother why she had served scrambled egg with his Sunday roast. She never made Yorkshire pudding again. Ever.
This fabulous iconic British pud is superbly written about in this gorgeous book. Like the pud itself, it's a sturdy classic little book that is packed full of delights. Recipes, tips, advice, myths and humor with some great photo's too. I'd highly recommend this book and shall be buying another one as a gift for my mother. After 40 years of refusing to make a Yorkshire pudding I am quite sure that if anything might persuade her to have another go it would be Elaine Lemm's really great book of Yorkshire pudding.

Tender: Volume II, A cook's guide to the fruit garden
Tender: Volume II, A cook's guide to the fruit garden
by Nigel Slater
Price: 24.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is practical & delicious beauty. A rare thing., 29 Sep 2010
As ever Nigel's recipes work. But, it's not just the feel, the texture and the color of this book that I love. It is the weight, the setting of the text and the beautiful photography that hold Nigel's words together. The recipes are enclosed in the beauty they deserve to be in. From the heavy deep red cover to the weight and shade and texture of the paper it is printed on - this book evokes desire. I wanted to cook from the pages. In fact I couldn't wait to create. Reading his turns of phrase, and intimate style it is as though I am listening to a classical piece of music. I am moved. He doesn't write. He composes. It was such an inspiration to have this book that I wrote a blog post about it and trued out the one of the recipes. Needless to say .. it was utterly delicious.

I can't recommend this book highly enough.

Bread Matters: Why and How to Make Your Own
Bread Matters: Why and How to Make Your Own
by Andrew Whitley
Price: 13.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Whay I can eat French Bread and Not English Bread, 20 July 2009
Thankyou Andrew Whitley!!! After many years of avoiding bread at all costs I have read this book and now understand why I can eat French bread ( and now of course my own) and not English bread. I have no more digestive difficulties ... and am enjoying my own sourdough .. it's delicious. The author runs courses and was delightfull in advising me on the phone... thankyou. I have since reading this book purchased 2 more for my mother and my best friend... HIGH praise indeeed!