Profile for HM Patterson > Reviews

Content by HM Patterson

HM Patterson (Chippenham Wiltshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Honk and Holler Opening Soon
The Honk and Holler Opening Soon

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious!, 21 Mar. 2015
I managed to get 3/4 of the way through this book but could not finish it. I found it tedious and uninteresting. The main characters bored me and I found that I didn't really care what happened in the end. Sorry but not for me.

A Spool of Blue Thread
A Spool of Blue Thread

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointed!, 11 Mar. 2015
I really like Anne Tyler as an author, her characters are so colourful, full of human flaws like the rest of us. I don't know why but I never really warmed to this book or any of the characters in it. They all irritated me somewhat. In my opinion not one of her best. Maybe the reason I was less than impressed is because I read it shortly after re-reading "Patchwork Planet" one of her earlier books along with "The Accidental Tourist" both books are so good that "A Spool of Blue Thread" to me was pale in comparison.

The Prophecy of Bees
The Prophecy of Bees

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book to cuddle up with on a winters evening, 9 Feb. 2015
Good book to cuddle up with on a winters evening. Very atmospheric and well described. I must say I was rather surprised by the twist at the end. I did have my doubts while reading the book about the person who caused the twist at the end but certainly had not worked it all out as I usually do. All in all a good spooky book. I live in a Wiltshire village not too far from Cirencester and could certainly relate to some of the people in the book :-)

Waiting For Doggo
Waiting For Doggo

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Waiting For Doggo (Kindle Edition)
Not what it say's on the cover. I thought this book would be an amusing story about Doggo but was disappointed. Doggo didn't have much of a staring roll. I found the story boring to a high degree and must admit that I didn't finish it. I managed to get just over half way before I gave up!

Miss Carter's War
Miss Carter's War

2.0 out of 5 stars I was so disappointed with this book, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Miss Carter's War (Kindle Edition)
I was so disappointed with this book, it started off promising but then got sillier as it went on. I plodded through 50% of this book before giving up on it. It was the sex scene with Jimmy that finally finished me off. The fact that she met him briefly 6 years previously and he gave her his number and she waited 6 years before contacting him again and surprise he was still single waiting for her was ridiculous. I think Ms Hancock should be nominated for this years writers "bad sex" award it actually made me laugh. Lift me, guide me, till I find That spot which seems so to thy mind! He asks well, did I lift you to the spot? and she replies yes, yes, you did, Oh boy you did. :-)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2015 4:26 PM GMT

Hideous Creatures
Hideous Creatures

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 17 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Hideous Creatures (Kindle Edition)
Awful, couldn't finish it!

A Man Called Ove
A Man Called Ove

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved Ove!, 17 Sept. 2014
This review is from: A Man Called Ove (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. Ove is an exasperating, miserable old sod! but I loved him. He was a man of principals, a decent man under the gruffness. He worked hard all his life didn't talk much just got on with life. His wife Sonja was as lively as he taciturn but this worked well for them both. I cried and laughed whilst reading this book. I especially liked the part with the clown in the A & E dept. of the hospital it was really funny. I will certainly be recommending this book

Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes (Rose Gardner Mystery, Book 1)
Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes (Rose Gardner Mystery, Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 9 Aug. 2014
I can't believe I actually paid money for this garbage! Sorry but I can't think of one good thing to say about this puerile tripe!

Edward Monkjack Exterminator
Edward Monkjack Exterminator

3.0 out of 5 stars Stange!, 8 Aug. 2014
A really strange book I am not sure what to say! It was very naively written and quite predictable in places but to be honest I quite enjoyed it.

Secrets of the Lighthouse
Secrets of the Lighthouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Stereotypical Tosh!, 28 July 2014
Four words to describe this book Lightweight, Predictable, Stereotypical, Tosh! How anyone could award this silly book 5 stars is a mystery to me. I got 40% of the way through and nearly gave up, if it hadn't been chosen for our book club book I would have stopped there and then but I plodded my way through to the bitter end! Of course Emma's Irish uncles would be dark, brooding and handsome. Also Emma dark and vivacious unlike her tall blond blue eye'd, shallow sisters. Her upper class English "father" had to be tall, blond, blue eye'd and of course have a receding chin which was mandatory in this silly book, as I said Stereotypical! I knew the hapless Dylan was her real father as soon as he arrived in the book. Poor love lorn Dylan who loved and lost and never recovered (be still my beating heart!) What can I say about Connor, well I thank god for Emma who loved him in spite of his temper and the suspicions of the locals that he just may have murdered his first wife Caitlin but then he was dark and brooding! By the time I was nearing the end I wished that Peg's Jackdaw would fly in and peck out me eye's or maybe her pig would come through the door and savage me to death.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6