Profile for J. Ramage > Reviews

Content by J. Ramage

J. Ramage "space_weavil" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Joytech HDMI Tri-Link Switcher (PS3)
Joytech HDMI Tri-Link Switcher (PS3)
Offered by Piranha Technology
Price: 17.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasted my money on this, 5 Mar 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this because of the remote control feature mainly but have had nothing but trouble with it ever since, and now need to go looking for a new switcher altogether. It either doesn't work at all, or else the picture and sound cut out every few seconds (as happened with my bluray player).

The Ghost That Haunted Itself: The Gruesome Ghoul of Edinburgh's Greyfriars Graveyard: The Story of the McKenzie Poltergeist
by Jan-Andrew Henderson
Price: 6.56

3.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction but could use some historical research, 15 Dec 2006
I bought this book after having gone on the City of the Dead tour in Edinburgh with a friend who was very into the ghost lore, and I was interested to find out more. It's a very good introduction to the history of the hauntings in Greyfriars and the Vaults, and is a very easy read. The mixture of first hand testimony and narrative makes it varied and interesting too.

My only criticism would be on the historical accuracy of the text, and I'd advise people reading this to take any dates or details given with a pinch of salt. The mistakes I've found were very basic (the dates of the deaths of Charles I and Oliver Cromwell for starters), which doesn't speak well of the research done by the author and just makes me want to double check anything else stated before I'd rely on it as fact.

Other than that, however, it is a very good introduction, and I'd also recommend the author's other work on Edinburgh's underground city to anyone interested in visiting and doing the tours.

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars An epic disappointment, 8 May 2005
Having been interested for many years in the mysteries upon which this book is based I was extremely keen to see how 'The Da Vinci Code' handled its topic, especially given the hype surrounding its publication. I have to say I have never been so disappointed in a book for a long time.
Although there are good moments in this book, (Silas, the albino monk is an interesting character and his eerie inner narrations were probably the high point of the book for me), the characterisation on the whole is very lacking. The two protagonists seem to do nothing other than give exposition, which to me made this book extremely boring. The codes and ciphers, which I expected to be thought-provoking, were to me extremely obvious, and I found the ending highly rushed and not at all satisfying.
I very much wanted to enjoy this book, however I can find very little praise for it.

A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
by David Salo

5.0 out of 5 stars Gateway to Sindarin, 8 May 2005
Although there are several guides to JRR Tolkien's languages, these tend to be rather general and concise, designed more to give a taste of the work the Professor put into his epic tales. 'Gateway to Sindarin' has far more detail, and treats the Sindarin language in the same way as a French grammar reader would treat its subject matter. Personally, as someone who uses Sindarin frequently for contributions to a fan website, this made the book invaluable. It is well-written, clear, and with its appendices / word lists as well, this book finally gives all the information a student would need about Sindarin in one place.
The in-depth analysis of grammar, consonant mutation etc, might not be the best place for a beginner to start, but any serious student of Tolkien's languages should not be without this book. However, the opening section on the history of the Elvish languages in itself gives a great insight into the amount of time and labour Tolkien put into creating his world.
Finally, the linen binding has an almost ethereal, 'elvish' quality about it; just a small detail that struck me as adding to the book's desirability.