Profile for Dr. H. Payne > Reviews

Content by Dr. H. Payne

Dr. H. Payne

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Orchard Toys What a Performance!
Orchard Toys What a Performance!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Orchard Toys game but for age 5 up?????, 6 May 2011
I bought this for my daughter's 5th Birthday as she is a bit of a drama queen. The idea of the game is great and some of the things you have to do are hillarious. We have played with 3 generations, I was almost hysterical when my 73 year old mother-in-law had to perform 5 press-ups on one occasion and touch her toes on another (she managed to do that, fair play)!

Basically there are three categories of tasks:
1 Who am I?: - the player has to pretend to be something (like a ballet dancer, aeroplane, cat etc) without making any noise and everyone has to guess what they are.
2 Make a noise: without moving or speaking the player has to hum a tune or make the noise of, say, an animal and they other players must guess what it is.
3 Actions: - where you simply have to do what is written (hop, touch your toes etc), no-one has to guess

If the player can't/won't perform that task, or no-one guesses correctly they have to take a forfeit. These are often things like move back a few spaces. The particular forfeit is on the back of each card, only visible with the use of the red acetate "decoder".

I did enjoy this game however I would question the advertised age range. At 5 years old my daughter struggled to read "pretend to be riding a horse" and "hum the tune oranges and lemons" silently to herself. With help she did enjoy playing.

Sony NWZB153L B Series 4GB MP3 Player with Unique Quick Charge - Blue
Sony NWZB153L B Series 4GB MP3 Player with Unique Quick Charge - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable value for money but a few flaws, 6 May 2011
I had an old Sony Walkman MP3 player and loved it (I still do) but I needed a second one and bought this current model. There are some great features such as the easy drag and drop of files from the computer onto the player and the rapid charging via integral USB. Usually it has completely recharged within about 30-60 minutes and gives a good 5-6 hours play time.

I even like the "Zappin" feature when I've plugged the player into my car. This plays either very brief or slightly longer intros (you select your preference from the settings menu) to each song so you can skim though your files and find what you want to listen to.

I'm not so keen on the controls of this model as compared to my last Sony MP3 player though. The lightest of accidental touches when you're picking the player up switches it on which is annoying if you're just moving it somewhere. Also there is a rather gimmicky round dial on the front. You have to twist it clockwise to go forward a track, anticlockwise to go back. This is somewhat fiddly to do one-handed - what's wrong with a straightforward button to press?

Overally this is better than some of the really cheap MP3 players on the market with no integral USB charger, no visual display screen and limited button controls that have to perform several functions each. The sound quality seems fine to me, although I do use Sennheiser HD 205-II Headphones with Rotatable Ear Cup headphones as I can't stand the standard little ones that always fall out of my ears.

Adult Sorceror's Hat
Adult Sorceror's Hat

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, sturdily made, won't sit on my head properly, 6 May 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Adult Sorceror's Hat (Toy)
This hat looks amazing. It reminds me of the sorting hat from Hogwarts. It is cut and sewn to maintain the twisted, lopsided look of a well used witch's hat. It has a decent weight to it and folds back down for storage with no discernible damage or distortion.

I agree with the earlier reviewer, however, about the drawback of this hat - it won't sit on my head properly. I have an average sized head but the hat just won't pull down far enough to feel secure. There is something in the design of the headband that leaves it perched precariously. This was a major flaw in my opinion as I bought it to go to a fancy dress party and did not want to be fiddling and fussing with my hat all night. There's no way it will stand up to trick or treating outdoors with my children.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but handwash only, 6 May 2011
I've bought Hatley coats (and bags, wellies and brollies) for my son and daughter for a few years now. They consistently produce lovely designs that look like they are for children rather than mini adult fashions. The coats are fully waterproof made from polyurethane/polyester which is soft and flexible. There is a soft and cosy terry towelling lining, although this is not warm enough for Winter use. On this coat the lining is pink and white stripped, many Hatley linings are plain white. I have found Hatley coats to be hardwearing and longlasting.

My only complaint is with washing these coats. The towelling lining often gets grubby especially if it gets thrown on the floor in school. The instructions are for handwash only which, let's face it, is not practical. I have put previous Hatley coats in the machine on a gentle wash. A few have been OK but one lost parts of its design and on another most of the design came off.

I will continue to buy these coats as I love the designs so much and they do keep the children dry. Just beware the washing!

The Gift of Story: A Wise Tale About What is Enough
The Gift of Story: A Wise Tale About What is Enough
by Clarissa Pinkola Estes

3.0 out of 5 stars A small story elegantly told, 13 April 2011
This review is for the hardcover version of the story, not the audiobook.

I am a fan of Clarissa Pinkola-Estes. Women Who Run With The Wolves: Contacting the Power of the Wild Womanis an amazing collection of stories with reflective, Jungian interpretation following them. I bought this book in expectation of similar quality but was a little disappointed.

If I had looked carefully at the product sales description I would have seen that "A Gift of Story" is a tiny book (16.8 x 13.2 cm) with only 40 pages. Essentially it is one traditional folk story wrapped in a couple of layers of other stories about how Dr Pinkola-Estes came to hear of the story herself.

My 3-star rating is meant to reflect that this story is, in itself, "good enough" but it is a far cry from Dr Pinkola-Estes other publications. For some of her shorter stories I would more happily recommend her audiobooks The Beginner's Guide to Dream Interpretation: Uncover the Hidden Riches of Your Dreams with Jungian Analyst Clarissa Pinkola Estes or MP3 audio stories Bedtime Stories.

A Volcano in My Tummy: Helping Children to Handle Anger: A Resource Book for Parents, Caregivers and Teachers
by Whitehouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title - this is NOT suitable for home use, 2 April 2011
To give a bit of context I'm a Clinical Psychologist. I have 2 small children aged 7 and 5. Neither of them has anger "problems" but, like all humans, they get angry from time to time. I don't make a major issue out of feelings but I like to help my children understand what they're experiencing - it validates them and gives them more chance to express their feelings in helpful rather than destructive ways. There are several emotional books I have at home that are colourful and build narratives around sets of feelings that little children can identify with (It's Not Fair (Your Feelings)I Feel Sad (Your Emotions)). As this book specifically states it is a resource for parents I thought I'd be getting something along those lines again.

Goodness me I can't imagine why they would advertise this as a resource for parents. If you have a seriously angry child I cannot see how they are going to tolerate sitting down with you and reading the dull, patronising vignettes and do school-type "exercises" with you. I can barely imagine professional therapists wading through this.

Another gripe is that this seems to be written for children at the end of junior school or early on in high school. The title of "a volcano in my tummy", along with the basic drawing to me hinted at a younger age group which is why I bought it.

Overall I felt that this was misadvertised and I am heartily disappointed with it - I will not be using it with my children.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2013 2:48 PM GMT

House of Marbles Wooden Cribbage Set 221153 Cribbage board, Playing Cards
House of Marbles Wooden Cribbage Set 221153 Cribbage board, Playing Cards
Offered by Prezzies Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy and not built to last., 2 April 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've been playing cribbage for over 30 years. I started with a hefty cribbage board my father made himself. When I moved away from home I bought a small folding version that looked pretty much like the photo of this product. Sure, it wasn't my Dad's solid craftsmanship but it served me well for many years. I lost that cribbage board and thought this would be a suitable replacement.

I was really, really disappointed. It was incredibly flimsy. The hinges holding the two cheap pieces of wood together look like they're about to disintegrate, they're barely screwed in. Worst of all is the thin piece of limp plastic used as a cover for the pegs on the underside of the board. If it survives 10 games being opened and closed I will be amazed. My old travelling set used to have the peg hole under the board but was covered with a sliding metal sheet.

You get what you pay for and this was a cheap set that is cheaply made. This is not a bargain. I will be looking around for a new set and I don't recommend this to you.

INGO Hello Kitty Silhouette 2GB MP3 Player
INGO Hello Kitty Silhouette 2GB MP3 Player

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine for my 5 year old. Poor sound quality and functionality, 9 Mar. 2011
I bought this for my daughter to upload her favourite songs. As a first MP3 player for a small child who loves Hello Kitty it's OK. I would never be able to use it myself for a number of reasons:

- The sound quality with the headphones provided is appalling, thin and tinny. There is no equalizer function to modify this in any way.

- There is no display of any description on the player to let you search for tracks.

- There are only 3 control buttons on the player. One turns the machine on, off, does play AND pause. One is skip to next track AND increase volume. The last is skip back a track AND decrease volume. For a child this is simple enough, although I am concerned that there is no way of limiting the volume.

- There is no way of telling how much power is left. A red LED light comes on the player when it is turned on or charging. There is nothing on the computer interface when you plug it in to let you know if it needs longer to charge.

- To connect it to a computer you have to use a separate cable - no in-built USB connection. This is a bit of a drag as I often carry my MP3 player around and charge it wherever and whenever I remember. More planning required with this having the cable with you.

For die hard Hello Kitty fans only!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, effective, long-lasting, 20 Feb. 2011
My son has used this as his weekly swimming bag for over a year now. I'm about to buy one for his younger sister. It has withstood having badges sewn onto it, being thrown in and out of the car, wrenched open, and left sitting with wet kit in it sometimes for days at a time. It looks as good as new after all this time. Considering how inexpensive this is its amazing. Highly recommended.

Gelert Discovery Rucksack - Black/Pewter, 65-85lt (Old Version)
Gelert Discovery Rucksack - Black/Pewter, 65-85lt (Old Version)
Offered by bigdealoutdoors

4.0 out of 5 stars A great rucksack for flying holidays, 20 Feb. 2011
I bought this for a holiday abroad where I would only be walking relatively short distances with my luggage on my back. My main priority was to have a bag which wasn't going to have lots of loose straps to get snarled up in all the airport machines. This fit that bill beautifully. There are some clever bits of design where all the necessary padded shoulder and waist straps can be zipped away. Once everything is tucked away there are handles on the top and side to carry it the last short distance to baggage check-in.

The rucksack comes with a waterproof cover. Another great feature is the detachable small backpack which has good shoulder straps discretely zipped away when attached to the main bag.

I probably wouldn't have chosen this bag if I was going on a serious hiking holiday as there are more comfortable rucksacks out there. But it suited my purposes fine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13