Profile for maymarvel > Reviews

maymarvel (Sweden)

The Perfect Pitch: How to Sell Yourself and Your Movie Idea to Hollywood
The Perfect Pitch: How to Sell Yourself and Your Movie Idea to Hollywood
by Ken Rotcop

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the book it claims to be, but entertaining from time to time, 6 April 2011
The Perfect Pitch was a real disappointment. It includes lots of stories on memorable pitches followed by either...

* "That pitch worked for me because I [put in name of established writer] have a personal relationship with [put in name of producer] but an unestablished writer would have to do it differently." Notice then that the book doesn't cover what the unestablished writer could in fact do to improve their pitch!

or...

* with Ken describing a pitch that some producer told him was memorable, but he has no idea if the story actually got sold or produced. (I'm not entirely sure being remembered for dressing up as a superhero during my pitch is the way I'd want to be remembered or the way to build a professional relationship, but I might be wrong.)

In other words this is a book filled with amusing anecdotes from Kens career. An entertaining read, but nothing to help me build my pitch.

If you're a writer looking to improve your pitch (like me) I would buy Selling Your Story in 60 Seconds: The Guaranteed Way to Get Your Screenplay or Novel Read instead - inspiring book filled with actual, usable tips for the unestablished writer!

If, however, your looking for a couple entertaining stories from inside the producers/writers world, this book might be something for you!