Profile for jackie > Reviews

Content by jackie

jackie "bookworm" (argyll, scotland)

CAULDSTANE
CAULDSTANE
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Don't be afraid to visit Cauldstane'..., 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
I have just spent a whole weekend at `Cauldstane', to the exclusion of everything and everyone else in my life, in order to discover the fate of the characters in Ms Gillard's latest gripping novel.
I was initially reluctant to engage with a story described as `Gothic' and woven around ancient curses and what was billed as a suspenseful and scary story. I thought I may find this unsettling and outside of my usual comfort zone. My feet are usually planted firmly in the `safe' and predictable. Having read Ms Gillard's other works, all of which I have enjoyed, I downloaded her latest book prepared to at least have a go at what I was sure I would probably not enjoy.

How wrong I was. From the first chapters I was completely absorbed by the book, with themes of facing up to and overcoming fear at its heart.
I have usually found with Ms Gillard's books, that as well as being entertained by the characters and the way their stories unfold, I am introduced to fascinating background facts and information which colour in the narrative and edify me along the way. `Cauldstane' is no exception and the thoroughness of the research is clearly evident. Ms Gillard has again managed to create unforgettable characters whom I cared about.
I am not going to expound further on the story, I would hate to spoil it for others. All I will say is that I am glad that I overcame my initial reluctance when I read the plot line and decided to give this book a go. I have had a very memorable weekend!

The Guilty One
The Guilty One
by Lisa Ballantyne

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb read, 14 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Guilty One (Paperback)
I was gripped from the first page and have neglected all sorts of tasks in my impatience to get to the final page. What a well-written debut. I was reminded of how I felt when I read 'We Need To Talk About Kevin' by Lionel schriver: the characters between these pages will remain with me for a long time to come. Well done Miss Ballantyne, I look forward to reading more of your books.

THE GLASS GUARDIAN
THE GLASS GUARDIAN
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story you will never forget...., 10 Jun 2012
When I invest my time reading fiction I am always choosy about the subject matter. I read to lose myself for a while; hoping that as I am transported through another's story I may learn something along the way whilst being entertained and amused. If after finishing a book the characters linger in my heart and thoughts, then I know that I have made a wise choice.

I am not normally drawn to the supernatural or paranormal but have read all of Linda Gillard's previous novels and have never been disappointed and on that basis I downloaded `The Glass Guardian'. I loved the characters, the musical and lyrical threads which wove them inextricably together. I was uplifted by the fact that, through all the grief and darkness in the book, there was always the promise of the light shining through - the obstacles just had to be shifted! I will say no more as I would hate to spoil the story for those who have not yet read the book and are thinking of doing so.

I know that the `hero' will sit nicely alongside my all-time favourites, `haunting' me in a special way.

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner
by Elizabeth Haynes

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and unforgettable, 15 May 2011
I started - and finished this wonderful book over this past 2 days. I was gripped from the start, unable to do the things I ought to be doing because I just had to read the next page to find out what would happen. Ms Haynes commented in the notes at the end of this story that she would 'hate anyone to feel she was trivialising the tragic subject of domestic violence'. On the contrary, it has had the opposite effect. Well done on a thought-provoking, and yet at the same time, entertaining and unputdownable read.

One Good Turn: (Jackson Brodie)
One Good Turn: (Jackson Brodie)
by Kate Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars unputdownable!, 23 July 2007
Well done Ms Atkinson, 'One Good Turn' had me gripped from the first page. Fast paced, lots of sub-plots and twists and turns, each segueing neatly into the final d'enouement. . A novel which amuses, entertains - each word a total pleasure to read. Her characters are so real and had me caring what happened to them. The beauty of this story for me was Ms Atkinson's language. A book I know I shall go back and re-read. Ian Rankin describes this as the 'most fun I have had with a novel this year'. One cannot fail to agree!