ARRAY(0xa4b62a2c)

Profile for bookwormsu > Reviews

Content by bookwormsu
Top Reviewer Ranking: 981

bookwormsu "thrifty" (Somerset UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Dvd ~ Ben Whishaw
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Genius, 6 Aug 2012
The Hollow Crown - TV Mini Series [DVD]
I can't wait for the DVD because I missed Henry V.........................................!!!. I really enjoyed this series. I know Richard II from A level but the other history plays are new to me except for "Once more into the breach..." and does "Gentlemen of England" come from here as well ? I was amazed how much I enjoyed it. I was a bit worried about the fact it was adapted but thankfully all they did was miss out some scenes and speeches, and lines, and transpose some scenes. One was very dramatic when the executions were on stage rather than "Off " in the wings. Film of course can show you executions but the theatre is a bit limited. They DID NOT change the text, thank goodness. What I mean is that although they shifted things a bit they did not alter the actual lines, the words were kept the same, so it was the sheer beauty of Shakespeare. It was mostly men, yet I was riveted. And moved. To hear these famous speeches spoken by actors who know they are speaking from history, who know they are transmitting Shakespeare's emotion over hundreds of years to 2012 was an amazing experience. Oh when Falstaff starts talking about "the days", of sadness of the old ones, looking back at the past. How well "This England " spoken. I was doubtful about the omission of the last two lines " This England that was wont to conquor others, has made a shameful conquest of itself" (or herself?, but it is a bit glory-mongering and other bits like it have been cut. I was hard put it, to chasing the scenes on my on-purpose purchased new edition of Shakespeare with a bit larger text so I could follow all the lines (am not 18 now, as I was was when first reading Richard II).. Will be easier when watch it the second time. This is a superlative series, a brilliant moving production. This is Shakespeare as he wrote.

Holy Bible: King James Version (KJV) Illustrated edition (Bible Kjv)
Holy Bible: King James Version (KJV) Illustrated edition (Bible Kjv)
Price: 30.10

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a Best Buy, 20 July 2012
Illustrated Bible: King James Version (KJV), illustrated with 400 years of Biblical art (Bible Kjv)

This is a must -have item for any household concerned with spiritual life as well as material possessions. This is fantastic value. The book comes in a slip case which is sturdy, and has an illustration on. The actual book is plain cloth bound (the picture that Amazon gives is of the book inside its slipcase which is why you see the illustration) The text is clear, and uncluttered with all those notes King James' bibles have, which impede reading. An an OAP who wears glasses for reading the text looks fine.There is a little bit of see through but hopefully I will get used to that. The version is the traditional King James which I was brought up with. There are italics to denote words the translators inserted (in 1611) to make the sense easier. The original printing of the Authorized Version used roman type to distinguish text supplied by translators, or thought needful for English grammar but not present in the Greek or Hebrew. In the first printing, the device of having different type faces to show supplied words was used sparsely and inconsistently. This is perhaps the most significant difference between the original text and the current text. When, from the later 17th century onwards, the Authorized Version began to be printed in roman type, the typeface for supplied words was changed to italics.

To me it is historically accurate as it is the one used from late 17th century until about 1970, well now really.I bought it to replace a broken backed and yellowing Family Bible bought in 1890 ish by my great grandparents. I am sorry to throw it away, but I have cut out all the entries, over three generations (four including me) and will paste them in this new book. I hope God will forgive me, we live in a practical world.

There is no mention of 400 years inside the book, but there is on the back of the slipcase. So this is a lovely thing to buy to celebrate the 400th anniversary. It is also very good price, this item has a list price of 40.

The pictures are gorgeous, and they tell you what each picture is as well. Most people in 1611 were illiterate which is why the Bible was appointed to be read in churches. They gained a lot of their knowledge from pictures. There is a little bit of see through on the paper. I find if I put a blank bit of A4 paper behind the page it helps. Now books are being printed in China we are getting this not-so-good thich papaer, although it feels a nice quality. I have looked at several bibles and I still think this one is lovely.

This book is published by Collins who have a licence from H M the Queen. Strongly recommended.

O

Sherlock Holmes: Complete Illustrated Novels
Sherlock Holmes: Complete Illustrated Novels
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 July 2012
Sherlock Holmes: Complete Illustrated NovelsThis is a lovely book. The illustrations are quite well reproduced and really give you the atmosphere of the time. The paper is good, and the weight of the volume quite acceptable to hold. I think this must be the best Sherlock I have found to go on my shelves. The text is OK to read, though the Folio society one is bigger text, but then it takes double the space. As an OAP I would not reject this book on type-size, and some, unfortunately I have to; one of old age's little things we have to bear. Full marks.

Sherlock Holmes: Complete Illustrated Short Stories: Complete Illustrated Stories
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant buy, 12 July 2012

This is a lovely book. The illustrations are quite well reproduced and really give you the atmosphere of the time. The paper is good, and the weight of the volume quite acceptable to hold. I think this must be the best Sherlock I have found to go on my shelves. I have a well-produced Folio Society one but it does not have the original illustrations which really make this a good read. The text is OK to read, though the Folio society one is bigger text, but then it takes double the space. As an OAP I would not reject this book on type-size, and some, unfortunately I have to; one of old age's little things we have to bear. Full marks.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Illustrated) (Top Five Classics)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Illustrated) (Top Five Classics)
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars American spelling, 8 July 2012
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Illustrated)

The illustrations in this Kindle book are very good, and are helped by the zoom facility. They are much clearer than I have sometimes seen them in real paper books. The text has American spelling. I just use it to look at the pictures while reading my paper (proper British spelling) copy of the Adventures.

When the Lights Went Out: Britain in the Seventies
When the Lights Went Out: Britain in the Seventies
Price: 5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Struggling through it, 7 July 2012
When the Lights Went Out: Britain in the Seventies WEll I bought this for about a pound in the Jubilee Sale. I think it must be quite a hefty volume, I have spend quite some days on it (off and on) and still only half way. I doubt I will read the rest but will skim it a bit and look the finishing chapter which is supposed to round this off.Life is too short.

I have a sort of feeling the author may be American- the use of the term "hornsbulling" does not strike me as a native Briton's language. I sense too a bias against the Labour Party. The author interveiws many people who made headlines in the 70's and uses their hindsight to weave his chapters. I am a bit disappointed really. It is nearly all political history, there is very little discussion of how life was for the ordinary person. he deals with things that I do remember - the Hornsey sit-in, the first issues of Spare Rib, Women's Liberation Movement, the Miners' strikes,without really giving any more information about them than I already have, as one who lived through them. There is some gossip about Harold Wilosn (which I will not repeat as it is unsubstantiated, and medical sources close lipped) There is some description of Margaret Thatcher and the bringing in of popular stories "Margaret Thatcher, Milk Snatcher, " when all who were there remember it as "Maggie Thatcher Milk Snatcher". he does not seem to have bumped into anyone who remembers the name by which she was popularly called. He thinks the seventies was a terrible period, but to be honest I remember it as a time of rapidly increasing salaries, and opening opportunities, in London anyway.

All in all a dry dusty tome.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has good points, 5 July 2012
BT Inspire 1500 Single Digital Cordless Phone with Answer Machine - Black

This is a good phone. It has a big screen and the letters are much easier to see than in the BT Graphite which I also looked at. I previously had a BT Freestyle 750 which is heavy, clunky and I could never understand it's menus and for some odd reason it could never remember which year it was in, so all the messages had the wrong date on. I am delighted to chuck it in the bin. This one is very simple to operate reminding me of the early Nokia phones. It has everything I wanted, remote access, handsfree, flashing light to tell you there is a message. If you are inputting names and numbers you may need glasses (if you wear them) and I have put the names in capitals which is easier to read. But when you dial a number the numbers come up black and very clear. This phone is a great deal more in a well known catalogue high street shop (beginning with A). I am not sure if I will use the text facility but I think I have 200 free a month with my BT package. Later; This phone I eventually gave up on because I could not read the incoming caller's name. It is more for a younger person.

BT Graphite 2500 Single DECT Digital Cordless Phone with Answer Machine - Black
BT Graphite 2500 Single DECT Digital Cordless Phone with Answer Machine - Black
Offered by Pricelover Deals
Price: 32.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for those needing glasses, 4 July 2012
BT Inspire 1500 Single Digital Cordless Phone with Answer Machine - Black

This phone is quite stylish and it is good for talking with as has a well designed handset, which curves away from the face. The buttons are easy to use, and all is attractively laid out. It also has all the functions I desire which are handsfree, remote access (please change your pin number even if you don't use remote access otherwise your phone can be hacked easy peasy), usable keys, caller display and i think it had a light flashing on incoming calls. It is a stylish matt black.

For me visibility is a problem. I only wear glasses for reading but find it difficult to decipher the numbers on the small screen, though I like the blue back lighting. I also ordered a BT Inspire so I could look at both and the BT Inspire has a significantly bigger screen and clearer numbers, so it is charging up now and likely I will go with it.

This phone is good and I like it, but better someone younger I think .

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous, 25 Jun 2012
Karrimor Urban 30 Rucksack REally nice. The quality is not bad, not top class but not bad. Everything looks really useful. The laptop section will need padding at the base. I don't really need a 30 litre rucsac but I bought two. they are a quarter of the original price and Karrimor is my favourite brand, it started in the year I was born. A bargain buy, even if you only use it to take clothes to a launderette or store your winter jumpers in, its good value. Really pleased.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all round bag, 25 Jun 2012
Karrimor Sierra 10 Rucksack

This is a very useful bag. I bought all three colours when I saw the first one, and noticed the retail price was 19.99. Inside there is a division for papers (A5 or A6 size) mobile phone, pen etc etc and a key clip. It would hold A4 sized files but not very thick ones. I bought it for travelling to act as a daysack , it holds my medical stuff, thermos, sandwich , maps, bus timetables, kindle . The back is useful. The pocket to the outside slot is quite small which is quite good as things cant fall out. My current Karrimor Zodiak has a long zipped entrance which is vertical and if you forget to zip it you can lose wallet etc. It is for my jaunts on the buses too, as OAP. It looks like they are selling off Karrimor now another firm has bought it. So that is why I bought a lot; they will not be seen again. The quality is quite good but I am not sure it would be up to daily schoolbag use. It's not top quality, but not bad. I am delighted with this. I have never heard of Sports Direct before but notice they have opened a shop in my home town. It is next door to Millets too, I expect Millets is getting nervous, now Black's have gone under. Well this is a fantastic buy, thrilled to bits. I may well nip down to Sports Direct and see what else I can buy. LATER I dont know why it says the item is now "unavailable" because it still is. Postscript. My daughter took the pink one away with her, as well the "Urban 30" in pink. She is using it for a backpack cycling. "OOOOO Just what I want""""

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14