Profile for L. Taylor > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
PURAX Extra-Strong Antiperspirant Roll-On 50ml
PURAX Extra-Strong Antiperspirant Roll-On 50ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!, 1 July 2015
I bought Purax a couple of months ago now and it immediately took effect. It caused very little discomfit (when used according to the online instructions and advice from other reviewers - not straight after shaving, only three small rolls per underarm, overnight, once a week) and indeed even then only the first couple of times - now I feel no discomfit at all. But it's only after today that I've felt moved to write a review. I have been wearing nothing but black on my upper half since I was 16 years old - 20 years now. No one has ever noticed (until now, my having pointed it out to them) and during every shopping excursion I have had to walk sadly past rack after rack of lovely bright coloured tops due to their having those cursed accessories - sleeves.

This morning though I thought to myself 'Today! Today is the ultimate test!' Courageously and with a devil-may-care attitude I threw on a bright pink short sleeved cotton T shirt. If you can't sweat shamelessly in 35 degrees then when can you? However. I have just arrived home after 60 minutes on a packed rush hour tube on the hottest July day in the UK since RECORDS BEGAN. I then walked for a further ten minutes from the tube station. The first thing I did on arriving home was rush to the bedroom mirror, arms raised like Rocky reaching the top of his steps. And what did I see? NOTHING! Not a crease, not a spot. An absolutely dry underarm and pristinely pink T shirt.

Anyone reading these reviews will know the social torture of excessive sweating. We've spent hundreds of pounds potentially on expensive Botox treatments or 'maximum strength' antiperspirants. We've felt the shame of going into an important meeting even on a cool day only to discover that we could really do with a change of shirt. We've soldiered through, bravely. But no longer is this necessary!

This stuff is life changing. Buy. It.

Floral Design Glass / Polished Chrome Touch Table Lamp
Floral Design Glass / Polished Chrome Touch Table Lamp

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted six months. Rubbish., 20 April 2015
Purchased October 2014, touch function blew in a shower of sparks last weekend (less than six months later). Now won't turn on using the base at all, has to be turned on and off at the wall and stays on brightest setting only. Waste of money.

Firefight: A Reckoners Novel
Firefight: A Reckoners Novel

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed...., 11 Jan. 2015
Sanderson has never been the subtlest of writers, as evidenced with his clunky (but nevertheless efficient) resolution to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. However, in the case of his epic (if you'll excuse the pun) fantasy novels, this lack of subtlety has been offset by genuinely innovative magic systems, strong characters and cracking storylines.

Although a divergence from his usual genre in that it falls into a nearly unique 'antihero superhero' category, Firefight pales in comparison - to both his fantasy series and Steelheart. Like its predecessor it suffers from a distinct over abundance of dreadful similes dressed up as one of a number of occasionally irritating character traits of the lead protagonist. David's silliness and naïveté is forgivable in Steelheart, though. He is sheltered, green and filled with an appealing and understandable determination for vengeance. Having fulfilled this vengeance at the end of the first book, however, the development of his character stalls throughout the majority of this, the second in the series. His motives seem less Hero and more Overwrought Adolescent (forgivable if he were younger but not really appropriate given he's 19 years old and to all intents and purposes an adult) and his stream of consciousness is at times self righteous and frequently repetitive. Don't get me wrong - I understand that he's supposed to be a complete 'nerd' - but it comes off as simply annoying, not endearing, which I'm assuming was the desired effect.

In fairness, this review is written by a (slightly cynical) 35 year old and this series is targeted at young adults. Having said that, a younger audience does not necessitate the dumbing down of the main character or the standard of writing, which is what it feels like Sanderson has done here. Quite apart from Steelheart, there are numerous other examples of fantasy authors turning their hands to the YA genre successfully without sacrificing standards (Joe Abercrombie's Half a King is a recent example) and it's terribly disappointing that after having hit the nail on the head with its predecessor, Firefight is in many ways so weak.

This isn't by any means a bad book. David's woeful conversational skills are offset by the dry, sometimes laugh-out-loud responses from his colleagues. In terms of subsidiary character development, we're gifted with a little more background on Megan, Prof and Tia. Regalia is an interesting villain and Dawnslight suitably mysterious. As always the Epics, their powers and their weaknesses plus in this case even more than in Steelheart the setting, all reflect Sanderson's eminently respectable imagination. And the plot moves along reasonably well when you put aside the endless references to David's fear of water (eventually justified but nevertheless belaboured), the slab-handed descriptive passages, the over egging of his angst-ridden obsession with Megan and his determination to save the world, alone if needs be. The final third of the book does much to redeem the previous 250 pages, hurtling towards a satisfying conclusion. But I very much hope that for David's next outing we're treated to a less naval-gazing and a slightly more mature, developed main character in addition to an action-packed storyline.

I suspect I will be in the minority in writing a fairly mediocre review. And despite my feelings about Firefight, my thorough enjoyment of all of Sanderson's other books ensures I will buy the next in this series regardless of my feelings on this one. But all in all it comes off as a bit of a placeholder, and I hope to see more from book three.

Giant Gobstoppers (3kg bag)
Giant Gobstoppers (3kg bag)
Offered by Chocolate Buttons

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Dec. 2014
Product as described and super fast delivery - I will have some very happy (and quiet!) nieces and nephews over Christmas. Thank you!

Catch Interactive Cat Feeder
Catch Interactive Cat Feeder

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it!, 15 Nov. 2014
Bought this a few months ago and have given it a bit of a run before reviewing, since some of the other reviewers have commented that it is too small for large dogs and it slides across the floor. I would agree with the former but in my opinion the latter issue is a positive - it takes even longer for my very greedy cat to get his food out when he's having to slide it around the living room in addition to battling with the spikes. An excellent product, well made, quick delivery, worth every penny - would definitely recommend!

A A Lovely Way to Burn: Plague Times Trilogy 1
A A Lovely Way to Burn: Plague Times Trilogy 1

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Lovely Anything...., 3 Jun. 2014
Stevie is a shopping channel sales girl who stumbles onto a nefarious plot and as a result becomes a wanted woman. Her casual lover/boyfriend/love of her life has suddenly died/been killed/committed suicide and simultaneously the world is rocked by a seemingly incurable and virulent virus. As a result, the book is set in what I assume is supposed to be some kind of 28 Days Later-style dystopian Armageddon, one where the citizens of London are dropping like flies as a result of this mysterious virus but which Stevie, naturally, being the perky, go-get-em-girlfriend cliche protagonist inherent to these badly written chick-lit novels dressed up as something 'edgy', overcomes within a matter of days.

It started off as a promising idea. Sadly, within (a generous) 100 pages, A Lovely Way to Burn disintegrated into turgid prose built around a completely nonsensical premise. I have rarely read a book as badly written. At 50%, to my frustration, I cottoned onto the fact that Welsh's preferred descriptive technique is the simile. By 75%, having clocked one approximately every third page, I wanted to bang my head against a wall. The writing is simply dreadful and I am at a loss not only as to how this author has been published, but that it has happened more than once.

The dystopian setting appears to have no bearing whatsoever on the events that occur in Stevie's little world other than to present a vaguely interesting setting for a criminally uninteresting story, and the author's attempt to build up to an ending linking the two 'plots' - the micro of Stevie's world and the macro of the plague - is ludicrous. Stevie herself is completely unlikeable and all of the characters are two dimensional. The vast majority appear to have been included in order to die in furtherance of the plot (such as there is). Midway we are treated to a cringeworthy and pointless love story only to have the character in question written right back out again within 50 pages, along with everyone else who may have been, in some parallel universe where this was actually a book worth reading, of interest.

By the last few chapters I had resorted to skim reading. Had it been any longer than 350 pages I would have given up, but I find it hard to do so with any book in case the final few pages contain any redeeming qualities. I was disappointed in this regard. I'm frankly baffled at the good reviews it has been getting in the press and on Amazon.

To use the author's preferred descriptive technique, it's like a slow motion descent into complete and utter pointlessness. Like a horrifying film that never ends - especially given this is the first of a trilogy. Avoid.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2015 11:17 AM GMT

Rosewood Jolly Moggy Wild Catnip Toy Teaser, 48-inch
Rosewood Jolly Moggy Wild Catnip Toy Teaser, 48-inch

5.0 out of 5 stars His Majesty Approves...., 20 Mar. 2014
Cats are mercurial creatures and although I know mine likes some dangler toys, others are a complete fail. He absolutely loves this. A combination of the way it wriggles and the catnip, I think. He's played with it every night for a few weeks now. I've had to cut it open and sew in more catnip, so I think it's best I invest in a few more! Great price, yes the feathers came out quickly but this didn't affect his enjoyment. Five stars!

Faultless Hot Iron Soleplate Cleaner & Burn Remover
Faultless Hot Iron Soleplate Cleaner & Burn Remover
Offered by L.M Electrical

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle Product!, 5 Dec. 2013
For any burnt on synthetics or similar, which is what I bought it for, this stuff really does work miracles. Best used in conjunction with a self cleaning function to ensure that it doesn't clog up the steam holes. Don't believe the negative reviews on this product saying it doesn't work, for me its a staple item in my cleaning cupboard. Worth every penny and more.

Catit Tiger Design Patterned Scratching Board with Catnip, Lounge
Catit Tiger Design Patterned Scratching Board with Catnip, Lounge

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow start but eventually a hit, 28 Sept. 2013
It's taken my cat a couple of weeks of practice to get the hang of this board, at first he would scratch it without lying on it and just ended up dragging it around. But two weeks in he has the technique down pat and its now one of his favourite spots. I can see myself needing to get a new one soon but for £7 it's not prohibitive to keep him supplied. A very good product.

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, 21 Sept. 2013
Pointless purchase. I bought these in April 2013 and they've lasted less than five months. Sound now gone completely for no apparent reason on one side. If you use them only occasionally they may be worth it but if using them for more than a few hours a day they simply don't last. I've been resisting purchasing a decent pair of headphones on the basis that the good ones cost a fortune but this product has proven that you get what you pay for. Don't waste your money!

Page: 1 | 2