Profile for Philip Laskey > Reviews

Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac
Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac
Offered by Bora-Computer GbR

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice alternative to the usual rodents!, 27 April 2016
I use this mouse on an iMac, and it works well - much nicer than the little "I clicked but nothing happened" Apple mouse. Its internal battery is a good feature, saves having to keep swapping rechargeable AAs. The various customisable controls are nice although I haven't explored all the possibilities yet. The sculpted form is comfortable - I am fairly sure the original mouse was giving me finger joint problems, let's see if the makes a difference - and the build quality and feel is nice. A bit expensive and could be said to be over-packaged, but I rate it highly.
Update after using it for a few weeks: I can still recommend it, BUT... 1. the battery doesn't last long. The reason is it contains a tiny motor that drives the scroll wheel - it seems to be using power even when not in use. The remedy is to switch it off every time you switch off the PC, then you won't have to recharge it so often. 2. the pointer sometimes seems reluctant to move for some reason. The remedy is to wiggle the mouse a bit. In all, it's still pretty good.

Fujifilm X30 12 MP Digital Camera - Black
Fujifilm X30 12 MP Digital Camera - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of style and customisability, so-so image quality., 12 April 2016
Only had this camera for a few days but already getting to like it. It is nice to handle, just the right size, and has a load of customisable controls. It's well made (with a few reservations) and well finished. The thing that keeps it in the "compact" league is the image quality - in jpg it only just matches my much smaller and cheaper Panasonic TX8! At higher ISO speeds it does a lot of "smearing" of fine detail in an attempt to obscure pixel noise - 1600 ISO looks "stippled"! Even at 400 ISO the "painting over the rough bits" effect is rather obvious! Admittedly I did set it to Medium size. "Film simulation modes" are thoughtful but fairly crude - the "Velvia" setting just looks a bit garish, although the black and white settings are handy. However, I also have a Nikon D5300 which is spectacularly good, and it isn't supposed to compete with this - it's just for (good) snapshots - the value of this X30 is in the controls, with a customisable control ring, manual zoom (with focal length equivalents on it as though you were using a 35mil film camera...), most useful manual exposure compensation dial and as I said, customisable function buttons, so now I can use the movie button for selecting white balance - I'd never use it for movies. Like any decent camera you can customise WB as well. Viewfinder is nice for bright sunlight although you might find yourself using the screen most of the time. The screen tilts, although its maybe a little "creaky" mechanically. The tiny flash is pathetic, you might be excused for thinking it wasn't working - obviously Fuji want you to buy the 160 quid accessory flash, although there is a cheaper Metz version, but I rarely use flash anyway. I have an old Metz slave flash if I do want it. You need the admittedly pricey lens hood/filter kit - Fuji aren't saying what size the filter thread is, but the filter and hood are well made and look as though they belong to the camera. Lastly, I rigged up the strap so it only attached to one lug - it gets in the way otherwise. You don't need a two-point strap for a camera this size. So, this is a camera for those who like to customise controls, who like a cool looking camera, and who know that you need a larger sensor for max quality!

Pacsafe RFIDsafe Z50 Wallet Charcoal
Pacsafe RFIDsafe Z50 Wallet Charcoal

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Wallet!, 21 Mar. 2016
I bought this to replace an older Pacsafe which served well for years but, well, let's say if you wash them they don't like it! The z50 is a little bulky but well made and it holds everything like it should, and the RFID protection might just concievably be an advantage one day - nice to know it's there I suppose. The chain is a bit of a liability though, nothing says "my wallet is in this pocket" better than a chain like something off a Black Metal guitarist's stage gear (or maybe HMS Belfast) - I removed mine and substituted an old whistle cord. Apart from anything else it makes your trousers too heavy. The five year warranty is nice, I suppose if the stitching comes undone in five years you could get a new one out of it but there's not much to go wrong in a wallet. It's good.

TASCAM DP 006 Portable recorder
TASCAM DP 006 Portable recorder
Offered by redappleaudio

4.0 out of 5 stars A tiny machine with large possibilities., 21 Mar. 2016
This is the second similar recorder I have bought, the previous one was the four-track DP004, which is almost identical in operation, so I knew what to expect. I haven't used it seriously yet but I like the compact size, easy operation(once you get the hang of it!), and the fact tracks 3 and 4 are stereo, so it's effectively a six track. It does use up battery "juice" quite fast, although I chose it because it uses batteries and fits my analog synth rack without needing yet another power adaptor. Interestingly it was supplied with one of those teeny micro-SD cards in an adapter, rather than a standard SD card but these are so cheap it isn't a problem. Sound quality is good but it needs some pre-eq - I use a small Behringer mixer anyway. I'd say for most home musicians and touring musicians, this is a very useful machine... plus, the built in stereo mikes are good for recording ambient sounds for experimental music. Could be it has more potential than it looks!

Transcend 16 GB DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi
Transcend 16 GB DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi
Offered by SKYWISH

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best dashcam., 27 Jan. 2016
This cam is the second one I've owned and is far in advance of those generic things you can buy on e**y for 15 quid. Well made, easy to operate, clear menu system, BUT you have to download the full manual from Transcend's site. The provided manual is only a "quick start" in ten different languages. It's not hard to figure out though. Best thing is the picture quality. It's like watching TV, even though I only set it to 720 - which I recommend as this takes up less memory! Also the wide angle is a real wide angle, it covers most of the view out of the windscreen, unlike my old one. My only problem was finding a place for the power cable - it's better to avoid the scuttle on most cars today, as this is the airbag cover!

Transcend Suction Mount for DrivePro Car Video Recorders
Transcend Suction Mount for DrivePro Car Video Recorders

4.0 out of 5 stars You need this., 27 Jan. 2016
It sucks - onto your windscreen! Better made than the previous off-brand mount I had (for an off-brand cam...)

Transcend Extreme-Speed Memory Card Micro SDHC Class 10 32 GB
Transcend Extreme-Speed Memory Card Micro SDHC Class 10 32 GB

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for dashcams, 27 Jan. 2016
Bought as part of package with Transcend DP200. A must if you are serious about dashcams, this size will record hours of video.

Duracell MN1604 Procell Battery Alkaline 9V - Pack of 10 Batteries
Duracell MN1604 Procell Battery Alkaline 9V - Pack of 10 Batteries
Offered by K Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars very good value indeed., 27 Jan. 2016
Pack of 10 of these useful but expensive batteries, at a cost that works out at about 1 pound each. Marvellous! I like the little rubber cap on one of the terminals, someone has noticed PP9s short out/leak if stored carelessly (lost a few like that in the past...). Expiry date is 2019, which suits me...

Patch Leads: 6 x 25cm long Patch Cables for Effects Pedals with Angled Jacks
Patch Leads: 6 x 25cm long Patch Cables for Effects Pedals with Angled Jacks
Offered by Dangleberry Music

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice budget leads for FX and synths., 20 Jan. 2016
Nice budget leads for effects boxes and synth systems.

Behringer RV600 Reverb Machine Effects Pedal
Behringer RV600 Reverb Machine Effects Pedal

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not exactly "stompable"..., 20 Jan. 2016
I bought this for a tabletop analog synth system, and it works well operated by hand. The effects are pretty good, although I use it on a keyboard. If I were a guitarist I'd probably get the Boss equivalent - the Behringer is made of plastic and would probably not last very long if you were stomping it! There is no "click" on the pedal switch, and no click stops on the selector dial. The activation switch is activated by a stick of rubber under the pedal which activates a microswitch somewhere at the bottom of the unit. You have to take the pedal off to get at the battery, and there is an easily-lost spring that is not anchored to anything underneath. There is quite a hefty load on the battery - I killed a PP9 after only a few hours, probably because it has no on-off switch and you have to pull out the "in" plug to actually switch it off... anyway, if you're a guitar player, it's probably better to spend more and get a more durable unit. But it suits me...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5