Profile for Ecky Carlyle > Reviews

Caligula: Uncut Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Malcolm McDowell
Price: 7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars 40AD A Rome Odyssey, 27 Jun 2012
'40AD A Rome Odyssey' I gave it that title because it reminds me heavily of 2001 A Space Odyssey. It does this in the sense that although there is a plot it's very long and set out with many pointless scenes inbetween it. For the record I disliked 2001 A Space Odyssey finding it very tedious.

This movie to is very tedious and only slightly better in my opinion. Only instead of scenes that last 10 minutes of a rocket landing you might see a 10 minute scene of a felatio.

Malcolm plays the character of the intelectual yet tempremental tyrant. This movie will proably only be of interest to hardcore Mcdowell fans like myself. Although I have only seen half a dozen movies containing him I am sad to say that this was most probably my least favourite.

O Lucky Man! [DVD]
O Lucky Man! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Malcolm McDowell

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated and without any sense., 19 Jun 2012
This review is from: O Lucky Man! [DVD] (DVD)
Perhaps being only 18 years old I am too young to 'Truly understand' this film. Although I understand that the film aimed to take a jab at capitalism I felt that as a whole it had no real sense of direction or movement.

There are points in a film where 'the plot thickens' for example the car crash which involved the two dogdy police officers seemed as though it was going somewhere but that was never refered to again. I remember seeing the famous scene on youtube of Mcdowell seeing the man-pig and jumping from the window horrified BUT THE PLOT NEVER THICKENED! The events were all completely unrelated.

I can understand why this has more or less become a cult film but it wasn't for me. I felt it was the weakest film of the Mick Travis trilogy.

Perhaps other Malcolm Mcdowell films I would recomend would be IF, Clockwork Orange, Caligula, Gulag, Disturbed and others.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2012 7:51 PM BST

Best Of (10 Series) [Australian Import]
Best Of (10 Series) [Australian Import]
Price: 11.88

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT a best of collection, 7 Nov 2010
This CD promotes itself as a best of collection but really it's not. It's a collection of the song which ripped of other artists and sold the most copies.
A Vanilla Ice best of collection would look more like this:

Ice Ice baby
Detonator
Trailer Park Mullet Wars
Bounce
Survivor

These are definatly some of his better songs which u should hunt down.

To The Extreme
To The Extreme
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Epic... with minor mistakes., 27 Feb 2010
This review is from: To The Extreme (Audio CD)
Great fusion of Pop and hip hop even if Ice man himself soesnt think so.
I would recomend getting this as well as a best of compilation. I just think that this has very much an album feel to it, like every song just fits together perfectly even just the little things like track 2; Yo Vanilla.

The highlights are definatly Ice Ice Baby, Play that Funky music, Ice is workin and It's a party

The few problems are:

That he includes the remixed version of Play that Funky music which actually drops my favourite line, "Go White boy go white boy go".

He was unoriginal, by which I mean he did too much sampling of everyones songs.

His first single was actually Satisfaction which was not included on the album.

Appart from these few minor mistakes however it was actually quite good and I would also recommend his 1994 album Mind Blowin.

Pure
Pure
Price: 6.21

4.0 out of 5 stars A good comeback, 5 Nov 2009
This review is from: Pure (Audio CD)
Replicas, Pleasure Principal and all the other 1979 to about 1991 are many that I like being a massive fan of New Wave.

I was however slightly upset with the dull tone of Machine and Soul, Felt that Sacrifice gave an ok direction and despite everyone elses love for it I very much dislike Exile. However Pure I found felt almost something similar to me that maybe even Replicas did only replacing Synths with Guitars.

The title track PURE has a powerful chorus and comparable to the NIN song Sanctified.
RIP has a simple yet powerful chorus as well.
WALKING WITH SHADOWS is nothing but a chilling gothic anthem
LISTEN TO MY VOICE is exactly what you want to do when you hear this track.

Probably his best album in 10 years!

Exile
Exile
Price: 7.02

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand, 28 Sep 2009
This review is from: Exile (Audio CD)
This album is supposed to be one of the very best of Gary Numan and sold many times more than lots of the mid-year ones.

Sacrifice seemed to have some good points about it but Exile to me seemed to just lag on and on and on. Dominian day, the first track and lead single as far as Im concerned was so bland with little or no appeal.

Absolution just kind of wallows in existance for about 5 minutes aimlessly.

Im sorry but I honestly can't find a single song on the album I like.
I would advise buying the 'Pure" album instead.

Singles
Singles
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars New Order Singles Review, 31 July 2009
This review is from: Singles (Audio CD)
I mainly bought this so I would have a copy of Blue Monday. Alpng with bizzare love triangle and true faith. However I felt that the synth of Blue Monday died with their musical evolution.

By the end they sounded more like ColdPlay.

If however you are a cult follower of the band and want brief snippets of the bands history with all their different followers than buy this for sure.

Ladyhawke
Ladyhawke
Offered by Dirty Deals UK
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The LadyHawke Album, 31 July 2009
This review is from: Ladyhawke (Audio CD)
Good album, on my playlist for several weeks, My favourite was the track: Paris is Burning.
I also liked: Manipulating Woman, Back of the Van, Professional Suicide along with others.
Surprisingly My Delerium, her biggest song was not one of my favourites infact I think the track is a little over rated.

Overall a good album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2010 4:57 PM GMT

Electric Pioneer: An Armchair Guide to Gary Numan
Electric Pioneer: An Armchair Guide to Gary Numan
by Paul Goodwin
Price: 12.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Gary Numan Electronic armchair, 9 Jun 2009
A book I would recomend for most devout Numanoids. It contains his entire discography up to 2004. I personally like to read it whilst listening to the song in question.

It is however not a thrilling read, not the kind of thing you read from the front page to the back, it's more like an information source like an atlas or a dictionary.