Profile for Xbox Kiki > Reviews

Content by Xbox Kiki

Xbox Kiki

Page: 1 | 2
RUROUNI KENSHIN VIZBIG ED GN VOL 01 (OF 9) (C: 1-0-0)(PP: 1-3 (Rurouni Kenshin Vizbig Edition)
by Nobuhiro Watsuki

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for your money!, 19 May 2014
I'm a new Rurouni Kenshin fan and I discovered it when I saw the trailer for the second (Kyoto Fire) live action movie which is going to be release in august - and looks amazing I might add. Anyway I then decided to watch the first movie and from there I wanted to know the original material so I started watching the anime(I'm at episode 38) and started reading the manga. The result of this is that Rurouni Kenshin has become my fav anime and manga of all time(along with Fate/Zero). So needless to say that I adore the manga. I love Nobuhiro's art and it actually get's better the farther in you're in the story not that it's bad to begin with. The art is really charming and does a great job at making the comody moments all the more fun and also suits the more serious parts of the story and the battles look amazing.

Okay on to the book itself. The book contains the first three volumes of the manga along with two special chapters and aditional stuff like The Secret Life of Characters where Nobuhiro Watsuki explains how the different characters came to be, colered images in the back(usually 3), a whole chapter in color(which is kind of mean, because then you don't want the beautiful colors to stop!), and a glossary of the restoration which is quite good to help you see the whole political picture of the story if you're not so familiar with Japan's story in that period to begin with.

The story in general has a great blend of action, comedy, and a bit of romance to keep almost everyone entertained with a great set of characters that I adore as Kenshin himself, Sanosuke, Megumi, Kaoru to name a few! This book is mostly "just" the introduction to all the main characters, but still a nice and fun introduction with a good amoun of homour and action to keep your attention. The book is rather large with over 500 pages and weighs about 1 kg. It's not that big of a problem and I probably just lack muscles in my arms, but it can get rather heavy to hold the book so it easier to read it with something like a table to help take some of the weight off your arms - but still it's not a "real" problem.

All in all if your a manga fan or new to manga in generel then you should really give this legend of a manga a chance especially when you get them in so good quallity for a nice price in the Vizbig edition - btw the paper is also a really good quality!

Fate Zero Pt 1 [DVD]
Fate Zero Pt 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ei Aoki

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best things I've ever watched!, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Fate Zero Pt 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I pre-ordered Fate/Zero when I saw that it was only for 15 £ and didn't really know what to expect so I went for it - and all I can say is that I'm mind blown about how awesome this is!

The story is a pre-quel to Fate Stay Night(which btw is getting a remake this october by Ufotable). It takes place in our modern world with the twist that there excist magic in this world. It's about 7 masters who have a servant each whom is a heroic spirit such as King Author etc. They all fight in pairs for the Holy Grail(therefore Holy Grail war) which is and artifact that can grant any wish one may desire. The servants are devivded by 7 class where you have Saber, Berserker, Caster, Rider, Archer, Lancer, and Assassin. The really entertaining thing about this is that some of the pairs of masters and servants are bffs at first glance some of them have more tension between them and don't get along so well. The cast is quite huge and it's really hard to explain all the characters, but all the servants and their masters have different reasons to fight for the Holy Grail and the characters have destintive character designs and backstories - they are all and interesting bunch and that goes for both the masters and servants. Another thing that is really awesome is that no one is the 'main main' protogonist. The focus on the characters change acording to the episode you're watching. The effect from this is that you really don't know who's going to win and can get into everyone of the characters and feel for them. It's a great way of keeping the viewers attention.

The animation is done by Ufotable and is becoming my fav animation studio(along with studio BONES) - they sure know how to spend their money to make trully outstanding animation with bright colors, sharp and fluid animation, and the best mixture of 3D effect blended with 2D that I have ever seen. It's really is a joy to look at. And the quallity doesn't drop one bit!!! The soundtrack is equally awesome and epic as the rest of the show and was composed by Yuki Kajiura.

This anime contains A LOT of story, but it really is better to watch this without knowing that much. One downside to this is that the first episode is 40 minutes long and gives you a lot of information about the Holy Grail war which can get a bit confusing - and that's kind of a problem in the whole show. But either way, if you like, action, epicness, anime, or anything in between this is really a must watch - you won't be disappointed! It's my fav anime along with Rurouni Kenshin and it really just is EPIC! I can't wait for part two!

Thanks for reading - hope it was helpful!

Gurren Lagann - Anime Legends [DVD]
Gurren Lagann - Anime Legends [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars After I gave Gurren Lagann a chance it's my fav anime ever(or just one of my fav entertainment things ever)!, 3 May 2014
I've known about the legend that is studio Gainax for a while. But I will admit that I never understood the appeal - I respect them for making Evangalion, but I thought that that anime had a few problems with haow to use the money for the production so it sadly lacks because of that - Note: Gurren Lagann doesn't have that problem. FLCL was also just to much for me to take and so was Gurren Lagann. I saw a review of the anime and while I thought the review was good and fair I just couldn't get myself to see the show, because it's was too weird - But I couldn't have been more wrong!!!!!

So after knowing about the show for about a year I needed a slightly less serious anime and this came to mind and I thought why not give it a chance anyway. (I was completly hooked when I started watching).

Gurren Lagann is about a young boy named Simon who lives underground(as all humans do) with his best friend and "bro", Kamina. Kamina has a lot of character and says what comes to mind while Simon doesn't have the confidence that Kamina has. Kamina believes that there is a better place for the human race on the surface. One day Simon finds a small drill and a gaint weird looking head. Slightly after that his village gets attacked by a gunmen from the surface (a giant robot) and the beautiful Yoko starts a battle with it right away. Under all this presure Simon discovers that the small drill is a type of key used to control the giant face he discorvered and uses it to fight the gunmen in his villige after that Kamina, Simon, and Yoko travels to the surface to fight the gunmen and the Spiral King who is keeping the humans from reaching the surface.

The story seems a bit wacky at first and looks more like a parady of the mecha genre and while it certainly is that it gets a bigger and more epic plot as it progresses. The characters just work; even when Kamina being a bit of a cliché is still so good written that he just becomes epic with his speeches and knows the true meaning of what manly is. Yoko could be the normal fanservice girl(and while that is her porpuse for a part of the series) she still has a lot of character and is an independent woman who wants to fight for what she believes in. Simon starts of as a frightened kid, but has some of the best character development I've ever seen in anime(or anything at all) - which is why he's one of my fav characters ever(sorry Kamina, you're still awesome) he's so down to earth and the way he matures is just done beautifully!

The story could be placed in two arcs where the first arc is more of a parady of the mecha genre and the latter is where the 'real' plot begins(with a time skip after episode 15) and thus it gets a more serious tone than the first part. A lot of people didn't like this, but I wasn't bothered by it personally, but that could be because I took the anime quite serious to begin with so when the series started to get more serious it just worked for me.

The art style is really good and solid(except for episode 4 that seems a bit weird compared to the rest). I like it quite a lot with the character designs themselves and that the animation is smooth and filled with colors! The soundtrack was done by Taku Iwasaki and is the soundtrack that made me a fan of his work. It's just go so well with the show and has a lot of cathing tunes like Libara Me from Hell(being the most epic) and With Your Drill, Pierce the Heavens being one of the tracks that makes you happy.(Don't know how to describe it). I watched this in Eng dub and have no complaints what so ever. A lot of my fav VAs are here like Michelle Ruff(Yoko), and Simon being voiced by Yuri Lowhenthal.

After I watched this anime in 3 days I can just say that I just ADORE and LOVE this show sooo much! I'm already going to rewatch it - that's how good it is. It's a fun ride with epic scale, great characters, and it really touches your soul if you are willing to give it a chance. It made me laugh out loud more than once and it also made me cry at some ponts. It's and epic adventure that shouldn't be missed! So what are you waiting for - Just who the hell do you think I am!

NOTE: If you want to buy the show(I hope you enjoy it as much as I did), but buy the re-realeas of the anime that going to be released in october(you can find it on amazon).

Thanks for reading I hope it was helpful :)

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut [DVD] [1999]
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Trey Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars It's sooo South Park!, 18 April 2014
As the title says - It's South Park through and through so expect that nothing(and I mean nothing) is safe - Everything is subject to be making fun of so if you like the show and that kind of humour and don't find it offencive then you should get this movie!

Journey To Agartha [DVD]
Journey To Agartha [DVD]
Dvd ~ Megumi Hayashibara

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining journey in Makoto Shinkai style!, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Journey To Agartha [DVD] (DVD)
A lot of people has claimed Makoto Shinkai to be the "new" Hayao Miyazaki and while I get that it's only meant as praise for Shinkai I kind of feel that the claime is misleading because while the two have similarities for sure Shinkai is still doing his own thing - but I do love both directers work a lot!

Anyways...Leaving all that aside the movie is about a little girl who lives in a small village with her mother and meets the boy Shun and their meeting is ultimately what leads her to her journey to Agartha. I know that was kind of the really short explanation, but I won't go any further in the story because it's something you need to watch for yourself to trully enjoy the movie. The theme would be something along the lines to accept life as it is and that death is also a part of life - I really like the message, but it isn't something that the movie forces on you by any means. I decided to buy the DVD after watching the trailer for and the movie does not disappoint - before I new it the two hour long movie was already over. It's a really entertaing movie with some of the most amazing visuals I've seen in anything(but it's not in the photo realistic style as his later work in Garden of Words), but it looks gourgeus!

So I'm happy for my random trailer watching and this movie made me a fan of Makoto Shinkai. So if you like anime and anime movies in general you should give this movie a shot.

Thanks for reading and I hope it was helpful :)

The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air [DVD]
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air [DVD]
Dvd ~ Janet Varney

5.0 out of 5 stars An surprisingly interesting journey, 18 April 2014
I bought this for my sister, because she's a major fan of Avatar The Last Airbender. She was really sceptical about the Legend of Korra and she's told me that the story is really good and surprisingly enjoyable, but still not on par with Aang's adventure(but that series has actually ended so there's still a chance for Korra to get there!). My sister is still really hyped about the release of the second season. All in all it's only around 10 £ for ALL 12 episodes(unlike what the desribtion of the DVD says) so if you liked the Last Airbender you should try this out!

Thanks for reading, I hope it was helpful and enjoy watching the show :)

Viva Pinata (Xbox 360)
Viva Pinata (Xbox 360)
Offered by Excess Gaming

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta catch them all!, 27 Mar. 2014
Sorry...I just couldn't resist making a Pokémon joke!

Anyway. Viva Piñata was one of the first released games for the Xbox360 when it was first released. I remember I was messing around with the different videos that was one my Xbox360 and then I saw the trailer for this game and was all like I gotta own this game! So my parents were kind enough to buy this to me and my sisters(I was about 12 years old at the time).

The game starts of with you arriving as a new gardner to a garden which clearly has seen better days. It's now your job to revive the beauty of the garden by getting as many different piñatas to want to live in your garden. Does the concept sound a bit boring? - that my be the case, but it's actually a lot of fun! There are tons of different piñatas to catch and they all have different look, size and tasks you need to complete to get the individual piñata to want to stay in your garden. It's quite addicting to try to collect all the piñatas and when your really into it you just want to catch all the different species to see what their houses look like, their romance dance, the color they get(they are all grey coler until you catch them) etc in order to become the Islands new master gardner. The animation is really cute and fits the game really well - the music is also quite shoothing. I will admit that it is a game that you will likely get really hooked for periods of times, but it's really surprisingly fun if you give it a try - this is definetly the best game RARE has made and one of the best Xbox360 exclusives!

Fullmetal Alchemist 6 - Captured Souls [DVD]
Fullmetal Alchemist 6 - Captured Souls [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seiji Mizushima
Offered by Springwood Media

5.0 out of 5 stars This is where the anime begins to shine!, 23 Feb. 2014
I'm a huge fan of FMA in general and have already watched all the Brotherhood episodes and really wanted to also se the 2003 version. It's a bit of a pain to see the start be told slightly different, but in these four episodes there is actually quite a lot of differences from the Brotherhood version that got me totally hooked because I really want to get to the point where they start doing their own thing - that's where the shows truelly shine. So I really really loved these episodes and they are some of my fav episodes!

The animation looks so good and it's amazing that's it's about 10 years old! After I got used to the English dub after listening mostly to the Japanese dub I just can't decide which version to watch, because they're both really well done. All in all a very interesting and entertaining anime - highly recomend watching it.

Thanks for reading my review - I hope it was helpful! :)

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Offered by EVERGAME

5.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, but a lot of fun!, 21 Feb. 2014
First of, I want to say that part of my confusion is probably caused by the fact that I played Metal Gear Rising first and then thought I would play the fourth game, bevause it was cheaper and I wanted to see if stealth games where my thing.

Anyway. First of I really like Sneake as a character(and I've only seen him in one of the games he's in), Otacon, and Raiden are all really good characters. The story is good, but I didn't get the whole scale because I'm missing a lot of games. At first I was sooo bad at playing this game stealth style, but I really wanted to play it the way it was supposed to be played so I kept trying. When I got my hang of it then the whole game became a joy to play I loved using the little robot(forget what it's called) to scan the area before I made my way through the stage. The bosses are also I thrilling joy to play. Lastly the graphics are amazing(I know graphics alone don't make a game, but I think that the engine used should get more credit), I thought the whole first hour when I was playing it that this looks so good! All in all a must for any stealth fan and if you're like me who has missed this classic of a franchise then try it out if you own a PS3...it might suprise you. I didn't expect to love it as much as I did!

Fullmetal Alchemist 1 - The Curse [DVD]
Fullmetal Alchemist 1 - The Curse [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seiji Mizushima
Offered by ofinnegan

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start, 21 Feb. 2014
I'm a new fan of the FMA franchise as a whole. I've done one of the things most people think is a bad idea - I watched Brotherhood from 2011 before the 2003 version!

I will say that it's a bit annoying to see the start of both anime's right to each other as they start in the same manner, but then they deviates a lot later on. I found the first four episodes entertaining, but compared to Brotherhood the pacing of the first episodes is kind of slow(due to that studio BONES didn't want to repeat themselves when making Brotherhood). But then again - almost every show has a kind of slow start because we need to have a foundation before the 'real' plot can begin.

All in all a good start and the animation is superb when you think about how old it actually is!
The cool thing is that the Japanese dub has the same voice actors in both version of the FMA animes. But the English dub has a different VA for Al(but Ed's VA in English is the still the same). Al's VA does an excellent job and is one of the roles where it actually is a 'real' young boy who is doing the voice acting instead of a woman. It's kind of refressing, because I think that female English VA's has a bit harder by sounding convincing as a boy compared to the Japanese VA's that almost always nails it.

Thanks for reading.