Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Content by Kindle Customer

Kindle Customer (Oxford UK)

Staedtler Fimo Air Light 8131-0 Air Drying or Microwave Hardening Modelling Clay 250g - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Microwave to set, 17 Jun. 2014
This is brilliant stuff: it sets in the microwave in 10 minutes (on 70% power; stick a cup of water in with it) to a very lightweight, finely textured white material. My daughter (9) spent a happy afternoon making people from it - you can keep moulding it for ages, and if it gets a bit dry and crumbly, just knead in a little water or brush some water over the surface cracks. When it is set, you can paint it. We used a mixture of poster paints and watercolours.

THE FOOD HOURGLASS
THE FOOD HOURGLASS
by Dr Kris Verburgh

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to date science, 13 April 2014
This review is from: THE FOOD HOURGLASS (Paperback)
This book is clearly written (despite the odd typo/translation infelicity) and makes a big deal about being based on good science. I particularly appreciated the introductory section explaining the way the evidence has been assessed, showing exactly why not all scientific findings are as useful as those published in more discriminating journals.

I am interested to hear about why too much protein is damaging to the kidneys and about how much is enough. I had suspected that the modern 'Paleo' way of life includes way more meat than your average Palaeolithic human had access to, as this book confirms. Other details that I found valuable include: analysis of the cautious use of dietary supplements (yes, nature can provide everything we need, but it's very tricky to do it really well and nature doesn't give a damn about you once you are past about 30); emphasis on oily fish; yet more info on the evils of sugar and some useful ideas about fasting/calorie restriction with the aim of longevity and long-term health (including the benefits of being thin) rather than weightloss as an end in itself.

Food, and How to Make a Healthy Meal of it
Food, and How to Make a Healthy Meal of it

5.0 out of 5 stars up-to-date advice, 1 Sept. 2013
I downloaded this book this morning and I'm already finding it useful and full of sense. It's great to have such a lot of complex, up-to-date knowledge so well explained, and from a British point of view too.

The First 20 Minutes: The Surprising Science of How We Can Exercise Better, Train Smarter and Live Longer

5.0 out of 5 stars informative and well written science for nonscientists, 6 Jan. 2013
This downloaded fine on my kindle and I read it with interest in just a couple of days. It has had an immediate and positive effect on my activity levels, and as well as that I foundthe engaging way the author led me through the details of the science irresistible.

The Partridge and the Pelican
The Partridge and the Pelican
by Rachel Crowther

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, entertaining and thought-provoking all at once, 22 May 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel: the plot is deftly parcelled out between chapters (and time-zones) to keep you guessing and the characters are totally believable. The balance of their good deeds and not so good deeds becomes increasingly complex, shifting the reader's expectations right up to the end. After reading, the book seems to invite a more leisurely consideration as the characters - especially Olivia - are still with me and their stories are connecting in my mind in ways that bring so much of my own life experience into focus.

The Dead School
The Dead School
by Patrick McCabe

5.0 out of 5 stars Teachers (and others), be only a little afraid..., 18 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Dead School (Paperback)
I am about to start teaching this text for the third time, despite understanding what the other reiviewer means in warning teachers off! The first time I came across this novel it was on the syllabus in the Gothic section.

This is actually a really useful way to approach it. The Dead School comments on and adds to 18th and 19th century Romantic Gothic literary concerns: there is the refracting theme of memory and how it affects the imagination; the obsession with education; the depiction of religion and its subversion; the idea that the individual's needs conflict with those of society, plus lots of death, violence and madness, obviously!

This book is a remarkable achievement because it does all this against the background of 20thC Irish history. Sometimes, as in the death of Raphael's father, Irish history jumps into the foreground before receding to leave only its effects in the imaginations of the characters. The message seems to be that, whether small-scale or large-scale, 'history' is who we are now. The vividness of all the voices brings everything into sharp, painful focus.

The grating cheeriness of the narrator, whose gloating omniscience is one of the cleverest aspects of the way the story is managed, wraps the whole thing in wince-making, gleeful irony by continually giving the game away. This adds to the fun but also the humanity of the novel.

The Year of the Flood
The Year of the Flood
by Margaret Atwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Theme and variation..., 15 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Year of the Flood (Hardcover)
Having been so gripped by the ideas (and to a lesser extent the characters) in Oryx and Crake that I chose it as a set text that year for the A-level English Lit group I was teaching, it is like being given a present by Atwood to read The Year of the Flood now.

I am enjoying reinvigorating my understanding of and reactions to the ideas presented in Oryx and Crake and Atwood does add to those ideas here as well as repeat them: for instance, in The Year of the Flood we witness direct communication between a young Crake (Glenn) and the Gardeners (albeit obscurely), which gives us more of an understanding of Crake's motives than Oryx and Crake can do on its own.

Yes, this is an overtly political book, as most futuristic novels are; to those who think fiction should restrict itself to 'stories' without meddling in politics - are not all narratives inextricably tied to their social and historical contexts, whether the reader recognises them or not? Are not all important ideas political eventually? What makes this book important is that, like other dystopian narratives such as Brave New World, 1984 and even Atwood's own The Handmaid's Tale, it uses fiction as a screen on which to project our sometimes discordant values and gives us a chance to have a good look at them.