Profile for Archy > Reviews

Archy (Glasgow, Scotland)

Hold On Now, Youngster [Limited Edition]
Hold On Now, Youngster [Limited Edition]
Offered by Amtrak123

5.0 out of 5 stars This band are so good that their album is dissapionting but still worthy of a 5 star review, 28 May 2008
It's been around two years since I first stumbed across Welsh pop outfit Los Campesinos! and their catchy addictive sounds led this album to ve my most anticipated this year.

Unfortunately, 2 years of build up set me up for dissapointment, but don't get me wrong, this is still a contender for debut album of the year.

It seems they have finally found "the perfect match between pretention and pop" which they've been searching for since the earier EPs, but if you've heard the early demo's and EPs, you may be let down by the roughness of the album.

In the past, bands debut's have let me down by being too polished compared to their work beforehand, but Los Campesinos! somehow have managed to go the other way.

Most noticably on You! Me! Dancing!, the uber-polished sound from the past which worked so well has been replaced with a slightly grubbier sound, which despite being good, doesn't quite live up to the earlier work.

Still a classic album

The Catherine Tate Show : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD]
The Catherine Tate Show : Complete BBC Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Catherine Tate

1.0 out of 5 stars This Show Did Actually Manage To Make Me Laugh At Times, 1 Jan. 2008
But I was laughing at how terrible it is so it doesn't really count.

Only buy this if you enjoy seeing the same thing over and over and over again. Every character follows the same formula for every sketch they appear in, it's basically the exact same thing in a different setting or situation. (if your thinking right now "wow that show sounds good" then you should be shot, but before you are you might want to check out 'Little Britain')

And as for the intelligent character below who gave this 5 stars...

1. She isn't funnier than Matt Lucas or David Walliams... but it's close.
2. "the swearing...is fab" so, am I right in saying that you are giving a show credit, because you enjoyed the frequent use of bad language? Or was it the quality of cursing that impressed you? Or are you just an idiot?

p.s If i hear one more person say "Am I Bovverd" or "Bovvad" or whatever the hell it is... I think I'm going to stick a knife in my neck.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2014 7:15 AM BST

Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD]
Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Frankie Boyle
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars The Finest Scottish Stand Up Since Billy Connolly Finally Comes To DVD, 26 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
If you have ever seen or heard anything by Frankie Boyle then you wont need convincing, you will want this DVD.

If you've not, then you will at some point soon, and then you will want this DVD.

If by the time it is released you have STILL not seen or heard anything by him, then you should get it anyway cause you wont be dissapointed.

Boyle has been doing stand up for many years but has recently enjoyed more fame by emerging as the undeniable star of BBC2's Mock the Week. His sharp, controversial style will regularly have you in stitches, and his constant diggs at his home country Scotland are hillarious for the natives to relate to, and enjoyable for everyone else as they get to laugh at us Scots.

Soon to be one of the top names in Brittish comedy, watch this space.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2008 6:57 PM BST

Scouting For Girls
Scouting For Girls
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars 2007's Happiest Album, 23 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Scouting For Girls (Audio CD)
This album wont get the most sales, it wont win at the NME awards, the Vodafone live music awards, the MTV European music awards, or the Mercury music prize, but if there was an award for happiest album of the year, this would win hands down.

It kick's off well with Keep On Walking, follwed by hit single She's So Lovely. Possibly the only bad thing about it is that it peaks too early, with track 3 and breakthrough single It's Not About You. The remainder of the album is similar to the opening 3 tracks, with highlights being Heartbeats, Elvis Isn't Dead and closing track "James Bond"

All Families are Psychotic
All Families are Psychotic
by Douglas Coupland

5.0 out of 5 stars "And they'll think they've just seen a star.", 13 Aug. 2007
Excellent book. Not much can be said about it other than it is a must read, funny, interesting, and believable... well, maybe just funny and interesting.

The completely over-the-top plot would usually put me off a book, but the hillarious situations and genuinely brilliant characters kept me hooked from start to finish.

The relationships in this book although downright bizzare, are also beautiful, and the last few lines between Janet and Sarah give the book the perfect ending.

Since reading this I have read Coupland's first book, Generation X, which was dissapionting in comparison to this, but I still look forward to reading some of his other work such as Girlfriend In A Coma and JPod.

Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture
Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture
by Douglas Coupland

3.0 out of 5 stars Uneventful, But Interseting, 13 Aug. 2007
This is a book I did not particularly enjoy, and I must admit to at times being completely bored rigid, yet some parts were rather interesting.

By the end of the book I must admit I was pleased to be rid of it, but I think this was partly to do witht the fact that I was born the year it was released, therefore cannot realate to the generation.

Another reason for my dislike was that i chose this book based on the author. I was given a copy of All Families Are Psycotic and fell in love with it, so decided to look up Coupland's other books.

It hasn't put me off Coupland, but i sincerely hope his other works are more AFAP, less Generation X

The Catcher in the Rye
The Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-rated, 13 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
I read this book because I felt I had too, I have a friend who talks about it constantly and I've heard so much about it's greatness, therefore went in with exceedingly high expectations.

I was bitterly dissapointed.

I had to push myself just to make it to the end, and found the whole thing utterly pointless.

I think my main issue with the book was Holden himself, who I utterly despised from start to finish.

His warped view of the world did no more than annoy me, and as far as I can recall there were very few characters who in his opinion were not "phonies."

I also lost track of the amount of pages wasted on Holden standing in a phonebox, considering who to call, not that I in any way cared who he chose as all the characters in consideration played no other part in the book therefore i wondered what might be gained from such phonecalls, i was just plain angry when he then left without calling anyone.

All in all, this book is not a classic. Neitehr is it a complete disaster. It is merely an incredibly average book which has been completely overpraised and God only knows why.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 13 Aug. 2007
This book will change your life.

If you die without reading this book, then you havn't truely lived.