Profile for ElizaReadAlot > Reviews

Content by ElizaReadAlot

ElizaReadAlot

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Alex: A Cold Fury Hockey Novel (Carolina Cold Fury Hockey)
Alex: A Cold Fury Hockey Novel (Carolina Cold Fury Hockey)

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 "Painfully Honest" Stars, 15 Oct 2014
Alexander Crossman is a grouch, he's a loner, kind of a d*ck and it suits him just fine. He's also a Pro NHL hockey star with team mates who can't stand him and fans who have dubbed him MVP (Most Valuable Prick). He doesn't hide the fact that could care less what his team think, what the fans think; heck what anybody thinks. He's always painfully honest with others but as we discover later, not so much with himself.

In his managers efforts to clean up his image and promote the team's Cold Fury's profile, he enlists him to help a create a drug-abuse awareness program alongside a local drug counsellor. Sutton Price. She's friendly, social and all round nice girl with some spunk. After rising through her own adversities and coming out stronger than ever, she's serious about this programme and with promotional backing from Cold Fury she's willing to put aside her attraction and Alex's less than helpful behaviour to make it a success.

After this point in the story, the direction of what I expected changed. I have to point out his is an observation rather than criticism. There is the verbal sparring between them and the sexual angst/tension but there is also a more serious feel to the story.

I find when I read books by Sawyer Bennett her male leads are strong, dominate but always conscientious and sensitive. Alex is no exception. The writing was a pleasure to read and the journey with Alex a bumpy yet ultimately uplifting one. Sutton almost took a back seat in this for me, undeniably strong and determined I sometimes felt she was Alex's counsellor than Girlfriend. On reflection however, what I thought was pushy was supportive, encouraging & actually helping Alex with the breakthrough he needed. In terms of their relationship they had chemistry that was hot enough to melt the ice and a bond that was authentic.

For a self confessed "b*****d" he certainly had his swoon-worthy moments.

No More Mr. Nice Guy (Entangled Brazen)
No More Mr. Nice Guy (Entangled Brazen)

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.75 "Sex List" Stars, 15 Oct 2014
What do you get when you mix:

Alcohol,
Lowered inhibitions,
A newly single female just out of a long term oh-so-meh relationship
And an incorrigible best friend?

A sex list!

Or rather aptly named: Josie's Sexual To-Do List.

The morning after brings the expected hang over and unexpected embarrassment, as the list is discovered by Mack, her best friend's brother.
After having a good laugh at Josie's expense, he aims to talk her out of the ridiculous idea... Unless like all good friends, they can help each other out.

Ok, it isn't as easy as that... Mr. Nice Guy, Mack wants to dirty up his image and Josie... Well Josie wants it dirty!

Obviously the "in the name of the list" plan doesn't stick and those pesky emotions get in the way. I still found enjoyment in its predictability and although a short read, I never felt as though it was rushed or had chunks missing. I found both MC's pleasant and likeable, the plot was engaging with the right amount of steamy interludes. All in all, I found it a quick, simple and fun.

Collateral (Blood & Roses Book 6)
Collateral (Blood & Roses Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 "Zeth-Sore" Stars, 14 Oct 2014
I always knew reading the final book in the series wasn't going to be easy, I've become so invested in the characters Callie Hart has created and completely engrossed in the story and situations they find themselves in. In going into Collateral with the situation as it stood at the ending of Fallen, I knew the prices would be high and maybe the cost too great.
In truth I don't know where to start in reviewing this because as usual I don't want to say too much, but let's get the most important thing out of the way first....It's brilliant! Hang on to your seats, brilliant! For a series that I found built in strength, intrigue and suspense with every book, it would either sink or soar at the last hurdle and luckily for me, it was the latter. There were moments of extreme highs and devastating emotional lows and honestly times where I had to take a moment to cry, quite frankly.

In all the drama and craziness that occurs, the relationships of this dysfunctional gang was surprising a major focus for me. I love how much they care about each other and will always be there when needed. Zeth has never been in a more vulnerable position and on top of that we see him facing his own personal demons head on, all the while protecting what is his.

Zeth and Sloane's dynamic also takes on a new form, the sexual chemistry between is still present but the intimacy in their relationship matures. Zeth as impossible as it may seem, is even more desirable and takes on the role of the Dark version of Prince Charming.

There is some action that takes place off camera and rather than feel cheated, it rather ties in nicely with what will be the spin off to this series and will be Rebel's story to tell; which I'm very much looking forward to.

The Blood & Roses series is one of my favourites, it's been a crazy ride and though it may be the end of Zeth & Sloane's story, I seriously hope we see more of them in the future.

Unrequited (Beachwood Bay Book 7)
Unrequited (Beachwood Bay Book 7)

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 "Let Go" Stars, 17 Sep 2014
This was a nice pleasurable, steamy read and exactly what I needed to get me out of my book funk. I enjoyed the writing and liked that the story was on the grittier side of sweet. I think I'm definitely due a return visit to Beachwood Bay.

COME BACK: Dirty, Dark, and Deadly Book Two
COME BACK: Dirty, Dark, and Deadly Book Two

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 "Bulletproof" Stars, 17 Sep 2014
My immediate reaction after reading this was "***k me." Closely followed by a feeling of Hope. Maybe a little naively but I hope for everything to work out perfectly. For James and Harper to be free of the her father and The Company, for James' debts to be repaid and for them to have some sense of normality.

But I know there is a long way to go before (if) that happens. In the already complicated weave, another thread is added in the form Sacha. By all intents and purposes she should be another victim of The Company orphaned at 13, looking for answers and revenge; never quite trusting of James' intentions she is a new member of the fold.

I was endeared to Harper straight away, she has a steely strength to her but there are also a few moments of vulnerability that show once in a while - in these moments I want to hug her, even though the I'm sure she'd kick my ass. There were quite a few times I wished Harper could channel some of sasha's strength, luckily she has James.

The history of how James came to know her is unfolded in this instalment and he's feelings for if taken without suspicion are pure, Harper however holds back emotionally as much as she can. Sexually however it's all guns blazing.

The way in which this instalment is left was brilliant, not because I can handle the wait (I can't) but because I appreciate the layers to this story and if I have have it right I'm clinging onto James' words:

"I can't promise you we'll never be apart. It wouldn't be honest. But I can promise you one thing. If I leave you, I will come back."

Archer's Voice
Archer's Voice

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 "Only you. Only ever you" Stars, 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: Archer's Voice (Kindle Edition)
Archer's Voice is a book that snuck up and captured me from the first page. It has the most intriguing, heart rendering and over all inspiring storyline that makes this one of my favourite reads of all time. Mia Sheridan had a way of making my heart heavy with sadness but also burst with joy. It felt as though she put a lot of care of her characters as I a reader I couldn't help but invest in them. I genuinely feel like I could read this story a hundred times over and never lose the essence of it. When I think back on the book it evokes a myriad of emotions but even the wimp in me is so glad I read it.

The Reason I Stay
The Reason I Stay

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 "Jerkface" Stars, 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Reason I Stay (Kindle Edition)
Twenty - Four year old Matthew Rogers rolls into Jolene, Alabama with his Maserati named Greta and a S***ty attitude. On a four month extended vacation/exile from his role as a Lawyer in Seattle, he happens upon the Town and eventually The Jukebox Diner. Fed up with not being allowed home until whatever mess he has created has been cleared up by his less than interested Father; he has no problem taking it out on his waitress.

Lexington Blake is trying to have a good day but it's about to get worse. The twenty - one waitress is about serve up more than dinner. After trying to make nice with her moody out of town customer; who so far has refused to look at her, made fun of her name and insulted her meagre existence. He's downright rude and I had to mentally high five the girl for putting up with him for as long as she did; but when she finally does decide to let rip, it's standing ovation-slow clap worthy.

He's angry and shocked and even worse can't get Lexie off his mind, she's the first person who has ever called him out. She on the other hand doesn't want anything to do with him or his subsequent apologies. Unable to leave until she does Matt slowly immerses himself into the town and it's residents, which means he also he he sees more of Lexie and eventually wears her down - getting to know her and eventually slowly but surely becoming more than friends.

Lexie and Matt have both experienced loss & pain and their approaches to dealing with it are vastly different. Matt's previous approach was more destructive and although he is try to atone and make a new life for himself there are still some unresolved issues; whereas Lexie is optimistic. She sees the good, makes and hopes for the best; the same applies with her relationship with Matt.

Matt's past collides with his future and it has devastating effects to the new life he has built. I have to confess it was strongly emotive and I was far more invested in their relationship than I realised. I was totally convinced by his evolution in the end. The journey isn't an easy or simple one, but one definitely worth taking.

Uncivilized
Uncivilized

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 "Google It" Stars, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: Uncivilized (Kindle Edition)
Dr Moira Reed is an ambitious, intelligent Lady on a mission. An anthropologist by profession, she makes the journey deep into the Brazilian jungle to locate one, Zacharias Easton. Her expedition is funded by Zach's living family member, and her mission is to bring him "home."

Born of missionary parents & orphaned at the tender age of Eight Zach is adopted and raised by the Caraican tribe. Now a fully fledged member and fully embracing their ways Moira's mission to bring him back to America is not be an easy one.

Their first encounter is unusual and unorthodox but the attraction instant. After unwillingly agreeing to leave, much of the primary encounters are fraught and a result of his obvious anger of being taken from the only place he knows as home, as well as his attraction to the woman he blames for taking him.

He is a man of control and discipline in all things, and to regain some said control; he sets about in trying to seduce Moira. She intrigues and confuses him, so used to the subservient nature of the women back home, he hopes to put to bed ( Boom! Boom!) any illusions of hers that upper hand in their situation.

Her resistance does not last long and Student/Teacher relationship is no longer confined to the classroom. As the story develops Zach temporarily puts aside his refusal to integrate and accept the new world, but when he does; I found it nothing short of comical; especially his crash course introduction with the help of Google.

I have to say, I had so much fun reading this one by Sawyer Bennett. In my opinion, the storyline is different to anything of hers I've ever read of hers before and in the realms of reality it's pretty far fetched, but that didn't take away any of the enjoyment for me in the least.

Taking that into consideration, it's still as pre-tty, pre-tty, racy. In fact I'd describe it as "The whimsy of Disney, with an 18+ rating!"

For Fallon (Chicago Syndicate Book 1)
For Fallon (Chicago Syndicate Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 "Trust Me" Stars, 31 Aug 2014
I have to admit Luca was the main highlight of my read, I liked him as a character. He’s the quiet, deadly type; Loyal and protective. He has an air of mystery that’s attractive, yet dangerous. He's not the showy Alpha, it's innate; he commands and demands respect.

What appears to be an innocent meeting in a nightclub is in actual fact recon for Luca's line of business. However when they "meet" for both of them it's instant. The physical attraction and the desire for more. They eventually after much agonising from Luca start a relationship and it's intensity is undeniable; although it's marred by the fact that Luca is holding back from her.

To some degree I underestimated Fallon, she's lead a straight forward life, she has happily married parents she's close too, a job she enjoys and a stable social life with best friend Teagan. As her suspicions rise and she can no longer ignore the darker side of Luca; there's a tenacity in her for the truth which is also later amplified as situations spiral out of her control.

The build up and momentum of the story is rather slow and I don't mean that negatively. As readers we are already in the knowledge of Luca's dealings rather early in the story, and observe the unfolding of Fallon trying to discover her suspicions no matter how much she initially tries to ignore them. And although we as readers are privy to information Fallon does not have, it's by no means predictable - in fact the action and drama is further accelerated.

I'm keen to discover where the story will go from here. As much as I would like to think it's a case of a simple apology, the damage that has been done is on a far larger scale that can be rectified with dinner and some flowers.

And so, I wait.

Reasonable Doubt 3
Reasonable Doubt 3

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 "I missed You" Stars, 27 Aug 2014
I remember reading the first book and loving Andrew's ability to shock and turn me on in the same sentence. I loved his filthy, unapologetic attitude and taken with the series from then - I'm happy to say this didn't change much in this book either.

As much as I'll miss that Andrew, I like the direction the Author has taken with this book. We see the man behind the facade and it's actually quite surprisingly emotional in part.

Aubrey also goes through a transformation and it was finally good to see her stand up for herself and find acceptance in more ways than one. They grew as individuals and a couple and the epilogue had me sighing in utter satisfaction.

I'm definitely keeping an eye out for future work from Whitney G. After all, the mind that brought us Andrew is the mind of a Lady I say, F.L.Y.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6