Profile for Mrs. Katy L. Thompson > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Katy L. T...

Mrs. Katy L. Thompson (Scotland - U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Stroke For Dummies
Stroke For Dummies
by John R. Marler

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be compulsory reading for everyone, 31 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Stroke For Dummies (Paperback)
This book has been incredibility useful and informative, so much so I feel it should be compulsory reading for every individual, not just so you recognise the sign of stroke or impending stroke in yourself or another & why acting quickly is crucial but importantly how you avoid having one in the first place. The clear descriptions and explanations of the 2 very different types of strokes which may strike, and each of their subdivisions, will put clear in your mind the symptoms which differ between the two and as each is caused by a different issue so too is the treatment very different. I'm not one to often use clichés, but would say, no stone is left unturned in this book, all your questions will most likely be answered.

My profession means I am fairly knowledgeable about nutrition, health and how a body functions in general, but until last week, when I found my 85 year old mother lying on her floor, clearly having suffered a stroke, I realise how little I know about this common event, except that we all know the FAST mnemonic for stroke.

The book is very comprehensive, just “look inside” above at the expanded contents, as opposed to the shortened at a glance contents. This has been such a helpful read for what has happened in my mother's brain, what to expect, what may lie ahead and what is happening at the hospital & why, rehabilitation, what to do for a loved one returning home and so forth. I have not felt the fact this is written by an American doctor for the American market has in any way undermined the content for us here in the UK, indeed the meat and potatoes, or should I say oily fish and salad, of the content are relevant to any country on the globe, hospital protocols may vary but you can interpolate and equate with our system in the UK. Very well written in an engaging manner, clearly laid out, information builds upon information, excellent diagrams.
John R Marler M.D. has done a splendid job of taking a complicated and often technical subject and explaining clearly.

Additionally, I also read how high blood pressure, so critical in your chances of stroke occurring, be meticulously & vigilantly controlled. The book points out how dangerous missing even one day of your HBP tablets can cause a spike in HBP, and you can then have a red stroke, a bleed in or on the outside of the brain, as opposed to a white stroke, caused by a clot in the brain. I have put the fear of God into my husband, who seems to run out of his HBP tabs on a regular a basis before getting round to picking up his next prescription. I don’t think he will be doing that anymore.

I end this review by saying again, everyone should read this book. If you have elderly parents, it’s a must have, watch for vascular dementia caused by tiny strokes & Tia’s, bigger strokes are likely on the way. If I had read this book a few years ago, I now see I might have recognised impending signs some years back, of the stroke my mother had last week. Take heart, you can reduce your risk of stroke significantly by looking after yourself. It's the first time I have heard a doctor saying you own your body and you should take the responsibility of looking after it, a thought I have often had myself, but looking at the state of our nation now, not one a large proportion of the public even consider - for example why would someone who has had stents fitted continue eating the very diet that caused the need for them being fitted in the first place & not embark on an exercise regime after such a wake up call, is it not a golden opportunity to change your lifestyle and give yourself the best possible chances for a healthy old age & future. I liked that he furnished you with all the info to do just that by getting to the root of the causes instead of offering sticking plasters to patch over problems.Highly recommend, well done Dr Marler.

30 Slippers to Knit and Felt: Fabulous Projects You Can Make, Wear and Share
30 Slippers to Knit and Felt: Fabulous Projects You Can Make, Wear and Share
by Arne Nerjordet

5.0 out of 5 stars Arne & Carlos do it again - Fabulous indeed, 14 Aug. 2015
All those of Arne & Carlos books which have so far been translated into English grace my knitting book library. This book is in the same sort of format which goes before, with lovely photographs of not just the slippers but toys from yesteryear dotted about in the shots, quirky knick knacks, Scandinavian bits and bobs. The layout follows the usual chapters of materials, basic slipper then onto chapters of different designs.

The book covers 3 types of felted slippers, high cuff, short cuff and clog type slippers. You are taken through the basic slipper more or less row by row, then once you have mastered that you can dip into the various chapters on various types of slippers for example Sioux Indian slippers, Sami moccasins etc.

All slipper patterns are given in 3 sizes, small (European size 34 – 38), medium (European size 38 – 42) and large (European size 42 -46) these are equated to both US and European sizes (no UK sizing, so you need to know your European equivalent, this is no big deal). The slippers are knit in the round on short circular needles or DPNS. A 2 strand method is used to give thicker cosier slippers. You can always gen up on this technique by taking a Craftsy.com knitting course online or check out you know who tube. Colour work is charted.

I loved this book immediately I set eyes upon the content – having had a long wait for it to be finally released as the publish date kept shifting. There are many lovely slippers to choose from, truly something for everyone from older children to adults. The wool/yarn suggested is Norwegian, but since the gauge is given you can easily check out yarns available here in the UK which give the same gauge 14 – 16 Sts to 10 cms on the 5 - 6 mm needles suggested, just make sure it 100% wool and is not a super wash variety which will not felt in your machine!

This is the sort of book you want to curl your feet up under you on the couch next to a roaring open fire and read your way through, with an elegant china pot of hot chocolate beside you, ideally with mist or snow outside, it’s an Autumn Winter cosy sort of book to me. If you love sock knitting and their portability I think this may the new craze for you, these are of course portable and are knit more or less like socks though some of the toes are finished a bit differently. What great gifts for everyone to receive - felted slippers.

Magnus the garden mouse from their Knit & Crochet Garden book appears on a pair of slippers – so sweet – slippers with pompoms, slippers with coats of arms, slippers with roses, slippers with rabbits, tulip borders, horses, beautiful colour work slippers and more delights beyond. Now the piece de resistance for me is the final chapter “slippers for Christmas”....divine.......I want to make every pair in this chapter for Christmas, they are delightful.

I highly recommend this lovely book to knitters. Arne & Carlos keep their quirky style going beautifully in this book. It says Fabulous on the cover, and I quite agree.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2015 11:09 AM GMT

Arne & Carlos-30 Slippers to Knit & Felt: Fabulous Projects You Can Make, Wear, and Share

5.0 out of 5 stars Arne & carlos do it again - Fabulous indeed, 14 Aug. 2015

I loved this book immediately I set eyes upon the content – having had a long wait for it to be finally released as the publish date kept shifting. There are many lovely slippers to choose from, truly something for everyone from older children to adults.The wool/yarn suggested is Norwegian, but since the gauge is given you can easily check out yarns available here in the UK which give the same gauge 14 – 16 Sts to 10 cms on the 5 - 6 mm needles suggested, just make sure it 100% wool and is not a super wash variety which will not felt in your machine!

Facial Concepts Facial Flex Ultra
Facial Concepts Facial Flex Ultra
Offered by Dentaflow SA

5.0 out of 5 stars I wholeheartedly recommend this simple, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Facial Concepts Facial Flex Ultra
I wholeheartedly recommend this simple, yet well made gadget to you for good results if used twice daily. I did not buy from Amazon UK, but came to Amazon looking for replacement bands & saw mixed reviews of the gadget & felt I had to tell you of my good experience.

I have, over the years, probably bought just about ever facial gadget & gizmo available to woman! I have also done facial exercises on & off over the last 20 odd years - I am now 57. I got this gadget maybe 8 years or so ago, possibly longer & thought is useless. In December 2012 a panic set in at the face peering back at me in the mirror, I was definitely aging & my neck was starting to flow into my chin. I went on line & did lots of research on gadgets to see if anything new had turned up while I had been off any facial maintenance. I kept coming back to good reviews of the FF so went in search of my gadget which sadly I could not find & decided I had thrown out. I was greatly relieved to eventually find it, & with renewed enthusiasm & armed with some YT clips of how to use the gadget I thought I would give it a go again, use it correctly & persevere.

In the past having looked for speedy results, I felt the number 1 bands (easy with least resistance) were too simple & moved straight onto number 2 bands (intermediate), this strength straight off is likely to mean the mouth piece skews off course, as indeed some write here, this is because insufficient muscle has been built at this early stage to control the mouthpiece, so you could easily be fooled into thinking the gadget does not work.

I used this gadget last late January 2013 onwards religiously, morning & night for 200 contractions at each go, this with the incentive of my daughter's forthcoming wedding looming in the May. By March there was definite improvement & when I looked at photos of myself I realised my neck was very much tighter & better defined (see photos at the end of this). I have a receding chin to start with, so I have a horror of developing a turkey neck.

Of course , as with any programme, one then begins to take the new defined look for granted & one way or another this got used less & less.

Now my other child is about to get married & I dug out my little gadget again in August & have been using intermittently every night, I have recently stepped this up to my early 2013 twice daily regime, & lo the results are showing again. I must continue to use this & not let laziness creep in again this time.

Knowing a lot about facial muscles & facial exercise , which is tiresome & time consuming to do daily, I am aware that the muscle under your tongue which keeps the turkey wattle tight is worked with using this gadget, as are many other tiny muscles around the face. You will also plump up any under eye sunken/hollow patches as the muscle will, over time, be rebuilt to fill out this hollow area. The dreaded pouches at each side of us middle aged woman's mouths is greatly reduced or completely toned up as the muscle running from the mouth corners to the ears, which holds all that bit of the face up, are also rebuilt & toned up. The cheeks plump up too. Win, win.

2 -3 minutes morning & night is very little time to reap the rewards that this discrete little gizmo can yield. It can go on holiday or away for the weekend with you too, don't leave home without it.

Some tips for using:

Start out with the number 1 bands & progress according to the instructions, I am now always on number 3 bands (the strongest) since I have built up to strength again.

Poke your head slightly forward & tuck your chin down a little, squeeze hard to entirely close the piece - if you cannot do this, then you have advanced to stronger bands too early - hold the contraction for 1 -2 seconds & release keeping pressure on the mouthpiece, don't just let it spring open, harness the slow release too.

Make sure you contract your neck muscles with each squeeze so you can see the two large & strong muscles each side of your neck stand out - if you have not seen these for some years, imagine you are making them stand out! To find then, lie on your back with your head hanging off the side of your bed, now slowly lift your head up, you will find these 2 muscles will stand out on your neck as they pull your head upwards.

Use twice a day religiously - build up to 200 contractions with a brief 5 second break after 100, remove the gizmo from your mouth & swallow during your break, you will be ready to do this after 100 contractions!

Concentrate & stand in front of the mirror, don't do other things whilst using your FF, pay attention to really doing the exercises properly, you will only be cheating yourself if you rush through the practice without doing it slowly & carefully.

Change to new bands in your present strength bracket every week. I find a Sunday night is a good day for me always to remember to do this.

Make sure you have oil or moisturiser on your face & around your eyes, you will be moving your face & don't want to do this with un-lubricated skin.

Advance up to the next band only when you feel the band you are using is very easy to work.

Buy proper Facial Flex replacement bands! I bought some strength 3 bands on that vast second hand website we all love, which came from the USA, & they were not the same quality as FF bands, they were also impossible to squeeze closed.

Watch as many video clips on YT of how to use the FF & practice until you feel you have the correct technique, this is very important. Ignore the YT clips which make fun of this gadget, it is one of the best things I have ever used.

Read the many review on the American "cue vee see" channel & Amazon.com of this item - very inspiring.

Finally here are the pictures which made me realise, 6 weeks after use in 2013 that the gadget was working for my face shape.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2016 9:42 PM BST

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous & Beautifully Made, 23 Oct. 2014
These boot are just gorgeous & beautifully made - inside & out. The shearling lining is real sheepskin, not faux, though it is not on the foot bed insole, however this is good, because it would compact there over time & cause lumps & bumps (as my Ugg type boots have done over the years) & also sizing the boots could be difficult at the start.

I really was most unsure what size to order, as I am a size UK 7, but most of my other boots, including Dubarry Galway's, are Euro 41 or 42, which equates to UK 7.5 & 8. Finally I found a seller on eBay mentioning that they came up big, she had ordered 6.5 but felt they fitted more like a 7. I ordered the UK 7, still in a little trepidation. There is more than enough room in these & they fit perfectly with room for a winter sock if need be. I think this is a true UK 7 which we don't often get now, it is mainly Euro sizes, but Brasher being a British company seem to have stuck to the old standards. In days gone by, I always knew a UK 7 boot would be fine, it is only in recent years this sizing issue has crept in for me.

At the price these are being offered here, they are outstanding value. I know my daughter, who lives in deepest & coldest Cairngorm area, got similar boots by another continental maker & they were £200+. As we live in Scotland, I can only say, role on snow & winter, I am ready to rock with these on my feet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous & Beautifully Made, 23 Oct. 2014

Please note I did not buy these through Amazon, but felt compelled to write this review because of the quality of this boot for the price, indeed even at much more, also if my sizing information can help another person decide on size, it might save them all the research I had to do. I went for the dark brown with white shearling.The company Trekkers, who are selling these here, have outstanding customer service, with quick delivery, quick responses to email queries & dealt with a small issue I had, by sending out a small replacement part next day delivery. I highly recommend their service.

KnitPro KP10730 Magma Knitting Chart Keeper Fold Up Style, Black
KnitPro KP10730 Magma Knitting Chart Keeper Fold Up Style, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitter's mate you can't do without, especially good for travelling,, 3 Aug. 2014
An excellent product. I now have 3 of these, since I tend to have a number of knitting projects on the go. I have been using these for the last 3 years & wonder how I ever did without them. The magnetic strips are very strong, so there is no chance of losing the place on your pattern or chart when you close the binder shut & pop it in your knitting bag, or take it on holiday on a plane. When opened like a book one side is for holding your pattern with the magnetic strips, this is slightly larger than A4 & therefore contains standard A4 patterns with room all around so you don't get dog eared corners & the magnet strip has room to overlap. The other half of the binder has a flat pocket to hold sheets of paper or further pattern charts, though you may need to fold these for them to fit in.

The binder, has a snap lock closure which has 2 sets of poppers so there can be 2 positions, so allowing you to have the binder act as a stand in a more upright or slightly more angled position.

KnitPro KP10731 Magma Knitting Chart Keeper Fold Up Style, Black
KnitPro KP10731 Magma Knitting Chart Keeper Fold Up Style, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitter's mate you can't do without, especially good for travelling, 3 Aug. 2014

I have uploaded some pictures to let you see - sorry could not see how to do this,, so no pics.

ZADRO Little Magnifying Mirror 15 times magnifying
ZADRO Little Magnifying Mirror 15 times magnifying
Offered by TECHNICAL NOVELTIES

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, quality little mirror, quick delivery from the USA, 18 May 2014
This little mirror is well made, & of good quality. I was surprised how quickly it arrived from the US, I ordered it on the 6th May & it arrived week beginning 19th. I did debate ordering the one which comes with free tweezers, simply because I would not need to wait for it to arrive, but decided, cheap tweezers are a waste of time, & why would a company add such a cheap item in with their mirror, this made me rather wary of the quality of that other mirror. I am glad I plumped for the Zadro from the US.

I already own a Tweezerman X10 magnifying mirror, originally bought at Boots, & this new more powerful X 15 one from Zadro looks much the same, only seems better made, more robust is the term really. It has an additional 3rd suction foot on the back so you can stick it to a window or your favourite larger mirror. The Tweezerman only has 2 suction feet & was always falling off when I stuck it to my mirror. I do find if staying in a strange hotel where one's own home lighting is missing, this type of mirror is best stuck to a window for good lighting - do check no one outside can actually watch what you are up to though!

As with any magnifying mirror you should be aware that you cannot hold it at a distance from your face & hope to see your entire face reflected, you must hold the mirror up close & then you can inspect - & take fright at! - a small section at a time.

I am thrilled to know that if my eyesight deteriorates I can also buy from this same company, Zadro, the X 20 mirror.

As any girl with dark hair will know, a good magnifying mirror & a set of tweezers go everywhere with you, the thought of being separated can strike terror into one's heart. This mirror fits nicely into a handbag make-up bag or luggage. I wholeheartedly recommend this X 15 magnifying mirror to you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7