Profile for James Bland > Reviews

Adventures with the Wife in Space: Living With Doctor Who
Adventures with the Wife in Space: Living With Doctor Who
Price: 3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 3 Dec 2013
A warm hearted read with some real laugh out loud moments. Also I get quoted in it! I am the Land Rover rant guy and so have the unique distinction of getting the only apology from Sue during the experiment. Get in! (For the record my comments were meant to be humourus...)

Detomaso Spacy Timeline Stainless Steel Men's Quartz Watch with Grey Dial Digital Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet G-30723A
Price: 53.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Coolest Watch Ever, 18 Jun 2013
I just received this today as a present, and I am really impressed with it. It got a nice weight to it (I like to feel the weight of a watch on my wrist). I like the retro/futuristic look of it - retro in that you press a button to display the time (digital watches in the 70's were like that), which, as stated elsewhere, has the benefit of ensuring a long battery life, and also in the way that with all it's LED's it's very much how the "future" was represented in 70's SF...if that makes sense. I love it!

101-in-1 Games HD
101-in-1 Games HD
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Addictive, 28 May 2013
This review is from: 101-in-1 Games HD (App)
I can't stop playing! Wasn't sure whether to buy it, but decided to give it a go since it was free. Glad I did.

Black Executive Multi Function Standby Case for the Kindle Fire HD 7" Tablet (Previous Generation Tablet) 16GB or 32GB with Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake Feature and Stylus Loop Holder + Screen Protector + Capacitive Stylus Pen
Offered by MOFRED PRODUCTS
Price: 34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Case at a Great Price, 23 May 2013
Superb. No complaints. Good quality. Comes complete with a screen protector and pen. I particularly like the way it makes the Kindle come out of standby when you open the case. Buy it!

Doctor Who - Mara Tales (Kinda/Snakedance) [DVD]
Doctor Who - Mara Tales (Kinda/Snakedance) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Davison
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Release, 16 Jun 2012
Hunt down the Easter egg on "Snakedance", it's well worth the effort! It runs to around 14 minutes, but it is a little tricky to find. If in doubt, google is your friend (other web searches are available)...

Freefall - a science fiction action adventure (Hammer Mehran Short Stories Book 1)
Price: 1.33

2.0 out of 5 stars Falling Short, 10 April 2012
I got this for free, but I note that it is now on sale for slightly over a pound. If I'd paid for it I would have given it only 1 star.

The opening page of the book (if you can really call it that, as it is very short, although to be fair they do mention it is only 50 pages long in the description) warns you that the book contains adult themes. And then straight away the story starts and hits you with those themes. Sex scenes can be fine when they fit the story (the sex scene towards the end of the story fits in so much better, for example), but the opening scene seems somewhat forced - the kind of writing you'd expect from a young teenage boy who has all the hormones but none of the experience. It's embarrassing in it's ineptitude - you can almost image the writers sniggering behind their hands as they typed.

I'm not a physicist but I also suspect one of the major plot points regarding shifting gravity is utter hogwash.

A lot of the characters are rather two dimensional stereotypes. My biggest surprise is that the villain of the piece doesn't have a moustache to twirl!

My final criticism would be that the ending is so predictable. I saw it coming a mile off.

On the plus side, I suppose it can't be all that bad as it did keep me reading to the end in one sitting, but I can't say it was entirely a joyful experience.

Running Through Corridors: 1
Running Through Corridors: 1
by Robert Shearman
Price: 14.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeing Past the Production Values, 2 April 2012
I have just finished reading this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was great to get the positive comments from the two authors, and it is written with gentle humour.

There are a couple of negative points for me.

Firstly the pair comment on the mistake of the production crew having the character of the Doctor referred to as "Doctor Who", and yet this is also a crime (punishable by use of the mind probe if I got my way!) that the authors of this book are guilty of (Robert Shearman states on page 319 "it was the merry contrast of seeing Doctor Who scolding his irresponsible little brother" - the most recent example I have read).

Secondly, the editing of the book is rather poor. There are numerous typos, jumbled up sentences and repeated words. Sometimes the meaning of a sentence is lost until you work out the order it should have been in, or delete the appropriate repeated word. An example from "The War Games" would be "...the writers allow every him to represent every other frightened Tommy..." (Page 317), which should read "...the writers allow him to represent every other frightened Tommy...". This is just the final one I remember, having been read most recently, but such errors crop up through out the book.

I realise that in this review I have concentrated more on the negative aspects of the book (which is at odds with the book itself), but I would still give it 5 out of 5 as it is a great read, just let down a little by poor editing. As with "Doctor Who" itself, it would be a shame to down-grade great writing because of shoddy production values.

USB to RS232 - USB Converter Cable
USB to RS232 - USB Converter Cable
Offered by HDMIPerfect
Price: 2.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Works straight out of the box., 7 Feb 2012
I didn't even need to use the enclosed installation CD rom. I do find I need to plug the USB in every time I need to use it (i.e. - I can't leave it plugged in and use straight after power up - the computer needs to recognise the USB lead being plugged in for the lead to boot up), but this is just a small issue. For the price you can't knock it - hence the 5 stars. I use it with Windows 7.