Profile for Dandillus > Reviews

Dandillus

Night Thoughts
Night Thoughts

5.0 out of 5 stars Suede's Second Best Album Ever!, 3 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Night Thoughts (Audio CD)
For me, this is Suede's best album (with the possible exception of Dog man Star - can that ever be bettered?). Fantastic songs of light and shade that sequence together to create an almost seamless work of art. I have been a fan since the beginning - was it 1992 or 3? - but tailed off around the time of Head Music. I honestly never thought they would create great music like this again.

Kafka On The Shore (Vintage Magic)
Kafka On The Shore (Vintage Magic)
by Haruki Murakami
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Another random sequence of events, 8 Feb. 2010
This the second of two Murakami novels I have now read and the feeling that I have come away with on both occasions is one of being both being cheated (out of the time it took to read them) and of huge disappointment. It is clear that M has an ability to write well drawn characters. However, the impression I get from his modus operandi is that he sits down and writes whatever pops into his head that day with no attempt WHATSOVER at piecing these threads back together for any type of resolution. I do not want all loose ends brought together a la some kind of airport best seller, BUT this book really just lurches from one peculiar episode to the next and it really does try your patience. You can see echoes of other writers in M's work (Pyncheon, Rushdie), but he is a good few rungs below this class and I don;t get the plaudits that he gets, for both this wilfully bizarre novel and his 'masterpiece' (ha ha ha) The Wind Up Board Chronicle. I will not be wasting any more of my life reading this adolescent nonsense.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2016 6:52 PM BST