Profile for Eco Chica > Reviews

Content by Eco Chica
Top Reviewer Ranking: 275

Eco Chica "More sunshine please" (UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
No More Kidney Stones: The Experts Tell You All You Need to Know about Prevention and Treatment

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of years of research, but still continuing a gravy train..., 2 Aug. 2014
I have downloaded a sample of this book and admire the commitment of its authors to helping people. But....

I am sorry, but from what I have experienced and gleaned, kidney stones alas, are not only as a direct result of certain foods. They are the result of Candida Albicans fungal infestation of the GI tract. All fungus produces oxalates in an effort to break down tissue in order to penetrate deeper into the host. It does this by extracting calcium from tissue walls and melting those barriers.

I have had about 7 stones. I suffered incredibly with the first one. Thinking this was my lot and hearing about lots of people who also believe it is 'their lot' to suffer in this way, I just put up with it. However, through that journey of total agony, I decided to clue myself up as to what on earth was going on with my body, especially as I realised afterwards, I was still passing much smaller, but sometimes painful, stones, continually.

Agreed: most kidney stones are made up in some form or other, of Oxalates.

Once people are told this, they simply move on to the more familiar 'other ingredient' in a kidney stones, which is Calcium.

I am always amazed that no one really discusses Oxalates in any detail? A quick search reveals, they are not naturally produced in the body and something is putting all that oxalic acid in your body and you need to work out where its 'really' coming from?

Granted, some foods do also contain oxalates, but in my opinion, the body knows how to deal with those 'isolated instances'. What the body cannot deal with is large amounts of oxalates, as in the waste product of intestinal fungus that is Candida overgrowth. Only fungus produces this large amount of oxalate, not lettuces or tea!

The first thing I did was to dissolve my stones myself. Finding out that this was easy to do and did not involve surgery or lasers, I figured had to be the right path. I decided I could resort to surgery if that didn't work. Pleased to say it did.

I did this using a solution of Epson Salts (magnesium sulphate), found in most people's homes. I took this once daily for 7 days, first thing in the morning. This is also how to tackle Prostate stones, that lead to prostatitis, but not a lot of people know that. There is no pain when you dissolve the stones in this way, because they are annihilated, or dispersed on contact. Why people are putting up with huge amounts of pain is quite honestly, beyond me?

Next, after you have eliminated your store of stones - my guess is you will have more than 1 or 2, or varying sizes - you need to address the Candida in your body. For that you need to do a Candida cleanse.

I did it, it worked, no more stones, end of ...

P.S. If your stones are comprised of uric acid, those too can be dissolved at home, but with Sodium Bicarbonate instead.

Update 09/08/14:
Well obviously spoke too soon...I have just had another kidney stone episode, virtually 12 months since my last. I suppose it took me a bit too long to work out what was happening. As this time it didn't present in quite the same way, e.g. they didn't cause migraine, because the Candida is gone. What they did cause, I say 'they' because it felt like a fair amount of small sludge-like stones and one big one, was very painful joints in my knees and hands. As my knees were so hot and painful and my finger joint was swelling up and going red, I knew I had acidic blood plasma. The reason this happens is because my adrenals are pretty shot these days. Women have pretty lousy adrenals anyway. Its in the adrenal cortex where you make Aldosterone. Aldosterone is responsible for keeping your blood ph neutral using a process called 'bicarbonate recycling'. Basically, if you are not recycling bicarbonate properly, the uric acid builds up and up in your blood plasma (the water part). So once I realised I was going down with this again, I decided to detox my kidneys using Andrews Liver Salts. 2 teaspoons first thing in the morning, with a full glass of water. Did this twice and the stones went mobile. Pain was pretty bad. So took two more doses of the same, totalling 3 doses in one day. Next day, pain nothing too drastic, knees still felt painful and hot though. Bending or crouching was a bit impossible. Its just a case of having to wait for all the rubbish to dissolve and pass. Which it did. You know when its over because you have a fantastic feeling of all over tingles and relief. There is no mistaking when the stone is zapped, because you suddenly feel released from discomfort - not pain! That's of course when the body is suddenly working really fast to get rid of all the stored up acid and get you back to normal.

The next day, needless to say, I looked liked hell for the first 2 hours, as the whole ordeal is a pretty serious business. By 4pm though, my complexion and mood were totally good again and I had no more pain in my knees, whatsoever. It makes me sad to think people are suffering unnecessarily with this complaint, when the solution is in your kitchen cupboard.

To finish off the process, I intend to start taking sodium bicarbonate a couple of times a day for about a week, just to make sure if any uric acid stones are in there, then they too can also be evicted. Remember, there 4 kinds of kidney stones. The main two are easily dealt with, and the other two result from infection or genetic disease. Most people suffer with the first two. The other two can be dissolved with loads of diluted lemon juice, preferably in warm water.

Update 23 Sept 14:
The kidney stones I recently moved needed a bit of extra help from a bottle of Chanca Piedra tincture. I did a review of that. Its very good at dealing with kidney stones, but unfortunately for me, it also made some gallstones go mobile. You have to expect all sorts of stones to go mobile when you take something like that. I feel a lot better now and can safely resume the DIY and gardening jobs I had to delay due to losing a precious 2 weeks of good weather due to stone chaos.

Update 22 October 14:
As of 2 weeks ago, I decided to deal with kidney stones in a more determined way and have recently started drinking green smoothies. Now the funny thing is that although they're helping my kidneys big time, they're also making me get up about 3 times at night to pee? Apart from that, green smoothies are the only thing that gets rid of cholesterol from the body, the idea being cholesterol sticks to plant fibre and is transported out. The other good thing about green smoothies is that they give you untold energy and make you feel significantly less hungry for longer stretches.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2015 10:34 AM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the best Vitamin E money can buy, 26 July 2014
This is a very good product indeed and has helped to improve a lot of aspects of my health. I bought it after reading
a book specifically about Vitamin E. I don't know why I haven't really been aware of the need for adequate supply of this nutrient, I suppose as I was taking a multivitamin, I thought I was protected? How wrong could I be!

Basically, the most important improvement it has made, apart from being a powerful brain antioxidant and Vitamin C helps to recycle it etc, it plays a crucial role in arterial health. To cut a long story short, I had a pain in my chest for years that has been investigated and nothing showed up. Apparently a lot of women have this weird vascular chest pain, that no doctor can actually find. What used to happen was, that for no apparent reason, I would get a gripping pain, not unlike angina and it could last sometimes for days.

I have never had that pain return since taking this product. It took about 2 weeks to have that effect. When you read the book about vitamin E and vascular health, you'll understand why. Essentially, your blood vessels cannot properly contract and expand without adequate supply of this fat soluble vitamin. It is also immensely important to fertility, both male and female.

It has also worked with other nutrients to improve my skin and hair.

P.S. Vitamin E is essential if you have had a stroke, as it redirects blood flow around a blockage to 'heal' the affected area as quickly as possible with masses of oxygenated blood. (source: science daily April 2014) and it heals wounds faster on diabetic mice.

Update 22 October 2014:
I ran out of this for about a month, due to some delivery problems encountered by a different supplier. In that time I was able to work out gradually a good deal of the benefits I get from this oil. First of all, after 6 months of no migraines, I got one? This was so shocking to me. Not only that, but the pain from that area of my head lasted for about a week afterwards. That's when I realised that since taking this supplement, the blood vessels in my head are not painful anymore. By that I mean, whenever I used to press my head without taking this product, it would hurt, now it does not.

When the package finally arrived, I noticed each day a little less pain and now after 1 week, at taking 2 tablets a day (max dose), I have no pain from the vessels in my head whatsoever, not even on turning my head quickly, which was always a problem.

Apart from helping the blood vessels to expand and contract, it also thins the blood and helps us to avoid platelet aggregation, which is what particularly ails migraine sufferers. Viva la revolution!!

Bosch AHS 45-16 Hedgecutter
Bosch AHS 45-16 Hedgecutter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 24 July 2014
Bought a bog-standard hedgecutter (not this make) when I first got married, was so frightened of the thing, sold it to my Dad. I now realise it was because they were too long and unwieldily.

Now all these years later I went for this 'shorter' version, having worked out by practicing with a length of timber about the same size, that it needed to be the right size for my arms, which these are.

Got them out of the box and set about drastically reducing the size of an overgrown vine that's covering a fence. Verdict: amazing! Very easy to use, a great step-up from the mini-hedgecutter. I wore eye-shields and ear defenders and finished the job in about 20 minutes, and that was only because I had to keep climbing up and down the ladder. Its this kind of job that would have taken me about a week with manual shears, for example. Very pleased how it can mince through quite thick, woody stems in a jiffy. Flower bed's a lot brighter now as a result. Very pleased with this purchase.

Glad they're mains supplied, as you need no time restrictions for jobs that cover several square yards...

Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 Blade Shredder with 40 mm Cutting Capacity
Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 Blade Shredder with 40 mm Cutting Capacity

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, well worth the space needed to store it.., 18 July 2014
I finally bought a garden shredder and all I can say is, why oh why, didn't I get one a long time ago??
I collected a large pile of various types of clippings, that was about 4 ft high x 5 ft wide. I turned the clippings over on the grass a couple of times with a rake, before feeding it in, as its been there such a long time and I wanted to make sure no stones had gone in amongst it. Then shoved armfuls into the jaws of this shredder, always using the red tool push it down. After about an hour, the 4x5 ft pile was no more. I reckon that would have taken at least 3 trips to the dump using my old system. It was such a relief to get such a lot of clearing up done in a short time.

I had no jams or anything, and quite a lot of the leaves were very damp. The bag that I bought to collect the clippings was too awkward, so I opted for a large bucket instead. The bucket filled extremely quickly, I suppose I emptied about 14 buckets?

I wore ear defenders (see that review), because I've worked out you can work for longer if the sound is not affecting you.
Glad I got this model, because the speed of the thing is really pretty remarkable. My husband was very pleased with its power and said anything less powerful would not have been as good.

The job took an hour mainly because of having to empty the bucket, because if you just did straight shredding, it would probably have only taken a third of that time.

3M PELTOR Optime III Ear Muffs Headband 35 dB Black/ Red H540A-411-SV
3M PELTOR Optime III Ear Muffs Headband 35 dB Black/ Red H540A-411-SV
Offered by safety-site

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 10 July 2014
These ear defenders are just what I was looking for. The garden shredder I bought recommended I use them, so thought I would get a good pair. Glad I went for these. There is a knack to how you fit them e.g. the top part must go right across the very top of your head, then the all-important 'sound seal' will be created. Vibrating noise is very bad for the ears and I can't stand any of it, so have used these for more than just shredding. I find I'm able to work for longer and at a more comfortable pace, if my ears are protected in this way. Don't worry, if someone calls out to you, you will still hear it, because its designed to cut out certain sound waves and not others e.g. the greater part of vibrating noise. I pop them on for all my DIY jobs because I don't want to end up like Pete Townshend, where he can only perform on stage behind glass now because his ears are shot to pieces...

Solgar 500 mg L-Glutamine Vegetable Capsules - Pack of 50
Solgar 500 mg L-Glutamine Vegetable Capsules - Pack of 50

4.0 out of 5 stars I took this for possible leaky gut syndrome.., 10 July 2014
This is a great product for healing the gut wall and I took it for about 6 months to cure leaky gut and rule out any possible threat of diverticulitis, especially as my brother has that and he was so ill, it just scared me too much. I've stopped taking this product though, as its most probably a brain excito-toxin and that means its not really good to take it long term, or if you have to, then its probably better to take it every now and then? The problem with excito-toxins is that you end up with brain cells getting over-excited, that tend to die in the process, so that explains the toxic part of it. On the other hand, if you have a massively physical job to do, then your muscles will really benefit from having more of this amino acid sloshing around. That's why its recommended for athletes and interestingly for depression, but quite honestly, we need to be careful when taking this type of thing long term. (Its definitely not recommended for people with ALS or Parkinsonian type symptoms, as their brain (as an organ) health is particularly fragile.)
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2015 8:44 PM GMT

Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex 90 softgels ( Multi-Pack)
Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex 90 softgels ( Multi-Pack)
Offered by Nature's Remedies

5.0 out of 5 stars The label has changed, 7 July 2014
When I came to re-order this item, I was surprised to note the label had changed. I rang Life Extension (Europe) to check I had bought the genuine product. Straight away they informed me that all their labelling was currently undergoing change and eventually all bottles would look the same. They confirmed the new labelling is all white, (no yellow front plate) has dark blue tops and no longer says 'For Longer Life' underneath the name LifeExtension. The caduceus is very different now too and the font they've used for the registered trademark symbol is much thicker and so appears as a blob. They said they'd changed the design of the label to make it look more pharmaceutical.

Apart from that, I re-ordered because it is a superior product compared to other K2 compounds I've bought, in that my body heals much faster since taking it e.g. burns, cuts, bruises and general bone strength has increased significantly. I was taking other things that improved bone metabolism and tensile strength e.g. iodine, calcium, essential fatty acids, phosphorus etc, but once this one was added to the mix, I remember noticing faster healing and increased stamina. Impact injuries are no longer a problem and painful feet are also a thing of the past.

There is so much emphasis placed on our building up muscle mass with regard to physical fitness, but hardly anyone mentions bone strength? I've done nothing to improve my muscle mass, but have worked assiduously to improve my bone metabolism, because too many areas were aching when I used to attend the gym. The results are that I have massively more stamina and can recover from exertion much more quickly than before. In fact, my recovery from hard physical exertion is proof to me that bone strength is paramount and muscle strength is secondary, rather than the other way round.

Furthermore, if you look at the archaeological remains of hunter-gatherers, they always had much thicker bones than us, although their cave art representations portray them to have been quite slender people.

After I sorted out my bone strength, I then worked on my connective tissue, as I came to realise that was lagging behind. In my experience, if you have pain on lifting something, and your hands shake a lot when you do so, there is a lot more involved than muscle mass, in fact in my case, muscle mass had nothing to do with it.

Fast and efficient recovery from physical exertion is positive proof that your metabolism sound.

Update: 15 May 2015
OK, this is quite an important update and I would welcome hearing from others with similar issues? I have had a suspected dissection of an artery in my neck for about 2 years. The original injury was due to gym workouts, then migraines and stress. I went to A&E about it, but they didn't suspect it, since then I have carefully researched the type of pain I get from the artery and the solutions available. The pain eventually subsided of its own accord, but just recently I've been doing a lot of hard physical work in the garden and low and behold, it resurfaced?

I suppose I took on a little too much, but it didn't feel like that at the time. With the first phase of work, I noticed the pain in my artery flared up again late in the evening and eventually started to hinder my progress. Its a most horrible pain and gets very 'sore' internally, indeed. Coincidentally, around that time, I visited a branch of Waitrose that stocks unpasteurised butter from France. I found out about that product from a health newsletter I receive. I bought 2 packs of the butter and started eating it that evening. I continued working on the garden at the weekends. By the time I worked on it next time round, I noticed the pain in my artery was not as great, even though I did more physical work than usual on that occasion?

I have been eating this butter now for about a month. Its my belief that K2 in capsule form was not enough to cure the wounded artery, hence it flared up again. Because I am aiming at complete healing, I decided to research what could be going on? It turns out there is no upper limit of how much K2 you can take and certainly from my own point of view, it seems to work synergistically with the unpastuerised butter and the unpasteuried fish oil that I take.

So I decided to increase my intake of K2 capsules to 3 a day, along with the butter, at both ends of the day. I am very pleased to report that my very painful artery is significantly better now , if not virtually healed? I know this because when I return to the same physical tasks (a lot of lifting), the pain does not return. I worked the other evening for about 5 hours flat, mostly on all fours due to the job I was trying to complete. At the end of that, there was only the slightest suggestion of pain from the artery. As I don't take any pain killers for this injury (paracetamol damages your liver for all time), I know that the decrease in pain must be a result of healing, and not numbing. I intend to continue this experimental regimen, as it appears to be having the desired results.

On top of that, last week we were on holiday and we visited a number of people. 2 friends of my husband's had Aortic Stenosis, which is calcification of the aorta, without high cholesterol. When I researched K2's effects on arterial health, it was very interesting to note that calcification of the aorta valve is due mainly to lack of K2, as most people are in fact deficient in K2. The trouble with arterial health is that everyone fixates on cholesterol build up, but very few people combat calcium build up within the arteries. As there is no upper limit of K2 dosing, I intend to take 3 capsules a day until there is no suggestion whatsoever of any further neck artery pain on exertion.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2015 8:09 PM GMT

Persuasion
Persuasion

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this because I'm convinced the version I just read was full of errors, 18 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Persuasion (Kindle Edition)
I am about to re-read this novel, which in my view is the best; call me biased.

I finished reading this novel last weekend, within a completed works compilation (free on here) where I became increasingly convinced as the story progressed, that there had to be quite a few errors. I'm going to compare this one to the last one, and a printed copy that is lying around but has spiteful print and I hope to sort out some ambiguities that are really bugging me.

All I can say is, after reading the first 10 pages, the punctuation is already much improved compared to the other (free) version on here - what a relief that is!

I've also bought the study notes to go with it, because I was fascinated to recently learn that the biographical interpretation of the novel actually pertains to Wentworth as Jane, rather than Anne as Jane. I think this is a truly fascinating insight and just goes to show that if you have a gripe, the best thing to really do is, thrash it out creatively.

Update 09 July 2014:
Have compared this to my paper copy and pleased to say its spot on, only found very obvious, tiny, typo errors, punctuation etc, all fine. (The earlier copy I read (mentioned above) must have been abridged because this one has all the details about minor characters that are often missed out in dramatisations.)

Drawing Flowers
Drawing Flowers
by Jill Winch

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good little book, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Drawing Flowers (Paperback)
If like me, you are out of practice and need some technical pointers to help get your confidence back. I bought it especially to help me represent the shading within leaves, as I've always spent too long on those features and inadvertently 'over-egged the pudding'.

I also like the way its has been put together; it breaks down, the sometimes very difficult aspects of botanical sketching into doable units. The artist also has a novel way of shading her subjects, you find its not the usual cross-hatching method, which was a nice change for me.

The book would make a great gift for someone, because the artist genuinely imparts good information, instead of just showing off.

The only thing that is lacking in the book, I think, is a discussion about the difference between concave and convex representation of flower forms, its implied, especially in relation to 'turning forms', but not thrashed out, in the sense of trying to achieve a three-dimensional drawing. I think its for this reason that some of the artist's own drawings are a bit confusing? There are some stunning drawings in this volume, all the same.

Dremel 3000-1/25 Multitool (130 W), 1 Attachment, 25 Accessories
Dremel 3000-1/25 Multitool (130 W), 1 Attachment, 25 Accessories
Offered by Howe Tools Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for polishing small ornate items, 10 May 2014
I bought this tool as a gift for a family member who likes wood carving. I have used it first though, as I needed to polish up and restore some brass door furniture. The polishing was taking forever by hand, but as soon as I applied the felt disc supplied with this kit (comes with 4, in 2 sizes) I could see the difference immediately. It still took a long time, as I was working to eradicate 20 years of tarnish and weathering. The job was completed in a third of the time with this tool.

I think it makes a lot more sense to buy this kit, than the basic model, as with all power tools, I find accessories are always so expensive if you buy them separately afterwards.

If you're reading this and want to change the look of your front door, but keep the existing 'door jewellery', the way I did it was like this. Get everything off and cook the various pieces in a large (uncoated) saucepan for 15 minutes with 2 teaspoons of Sodium Bicarbonate, with the lid half on. For the letterbox, turn it upside down and complete the other half in the same way, 15 minutes each side, make sure there is some overlap. This will remove all the old bits of aged lacquer. Then apply Rubbing Compound until you can see a lot of the tarnish has come off. Then polish it with Brasso. I didn't re lacquer as I live in an area where its not suited. So to make the polish last longer, I just sprayed each piece at the end with Lord Sheraton's furniture wax (silicone free).

Top pet hates: tarnished front door furniture and meter boxes with doors missing or half hanging off!!!

Update 10/07/14:
I've used this for a couple more jobs, especially cutting small pieces of metal. Two things I noticed, you have to take care with the small sparks that fly off whilst operating it at high speed. It is quite noisy at high speed, so I use ear-defenders for a long session.

Update 26/09/14:
I was doing a particularly tricky bit of drilling into a tight space and found my standard drill was not narrow enough to reach very far. The interesting thing about using the dremel with the drill attachment, is that you can take the collar off and you end up with a very narrow drill for awkward spaces. It also allowed me to assign separate jobs to each tool - that saved me loads of time! (I was building raised beds with very interesting Japanese joinery.)

Update 03/11/14:
I've used the mini circular saw in this kit many times since purchase. Considering its the only circular saw in the house, you can imagine how essential has become. Always take care with flying sparks when cutting metal at high speed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20