Profile for Velvet > Reviews

The Book of Runes
The Book of Runes
by Ralph Blum

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved them, 23 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Book of Runes (Hardcover)
I've had these Runes for years, and I love the book and the feel of the Runes. I am a beginner, but would like to know more about Runes, they are an inspiration. I look at them every so often and today, I checked them just before my Half Marathon, they give me some inner strength, from my Viking heritage. I like the velvet bag they're put in too.

Uno Card Game
Uno Card Game
Offered by HOT-BARGAINS

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, recommend it, 19 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Uno Card Game (Toy)
The actual game is quite weird, and nothing like other games. Fortunately I got someone brainy to figure out the weird type of game, even though once you got into it, it was easy.

I did think it was a pointless (sorry can about the pun) to aim for 500 points. The thing is if you don't have much time, you will not reach 500 points in the first place unless you have bags of time. It is ok if you keep a record of it and it would be nice to have a scorecard with it so you pick up where you left off.

We just played for an hour, played 4 games and we came out with 26 points. I think it is a good idea to say how many games you want to play ie best of 7 or 10 and leave it at that. We only played with 2 player, maybe it is different with more players, and even more fun.

After playing it a bit you got a bit strategic with the Action cards and I pleased to say I won the game against 'Brains'.

When we played the game in a pub, people came and talked to us saying how they liked the game and I expect they wanted to play with us and instead of gossiping with their friends, which can get boring!

I really recommend it, keep it in your bag. The cards feel nice too.

Sport DirectTM Mega Bright LED Bike Front Light
Sport DirectTM Mega Bright LED Bike Front Light

1.0 out of 5 stars Batteries faulty, 15 Sept. 2011
I spent half hour faffing around to make the bike lights work (getting correct polarity) but they didn't work.I will go home and 'test them' to be sure. Am a bit annoyed as I need to walk home at 11.30pm at night.

I'd Rather be Single Than Settle: Satisfied Solitude and How to Achieve it
I'd Rather be Single Than Settle: Satisfied Solitude and How to Achieve it
by Emily Dubberley

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 3 Aug. 2011
I always read this book whenever my relationship breakdown. It does remind you of the disadvantages of being in a couple.

I thought I'd list a few of from my own experience:

1) You have to meet their boring relatives. At one point I had to watch Xfiles 3 times because his parents liked it.

2)Men regularly make snide comments, say about your hobby and so you end up a) giving it up b) not doing it front of him. I gave run running, flying the world and stopped doing my embroidery in front of him as 'you're not listening to me are you?' often the phrase I got.

3)You give up going on courses because it means you are 'neglecting them'.

4)They frequently put your ideas down,this is quite draining.
5)They talk about work a lot, and if it is boring, you still have to listen.

6)You have to read their mind.

7) You don't have to hear about the receptionist who fancies them

8)You don't have to put up with boring, mechanical sex

9) You can have a headache, and don't have to put up with a sulking partner

10)You don't have to put up with their abusive and sudden eruptions, which of course, puts the blame on you

11) You don't have transport incompatability ie he likes going by car two miles to the shops, but you like the bike, walking or train.

`12) You don't have to put up with religious, political or sexual incompatability.

13) You don't have to put up with their favourite horror or sci films

The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize it and How to Respond
The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize it and How to Respond
by Patricia Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 20 July 2011
I didn't realise the way people could be abusive subtlely, so I am much more alert to these 'bingos'.

Also I found it helpful to know why the abuser and realise that they want Power Over Me to control me. I now diffuse the situation (which stifles the abuser).

ALso it was very helpful to find the right words to say in an abusive situation particularly if you are feeling shell shocked.

I have had a couple of successes after reading the book.

The abuser was finding fault with me, even though I helped him out with money about 10 mins earlier as his card got stolen. I reminded him of this and said 'can we stop it, I have just helped you when you had your debit card pinched, with temp money, of £25 can you think about what you said'.
He did and then realised and 'yes, you don't deserve that'. It made him realise what HE was saying and not finding fault with me! He felt a bit guilty!

He also did it a day earlier and I said 'Stop it right now', and we changed the subject. It was a little subdued as he was a bit stuck for words what to say after that. I think he was a little shocked I stood up for myself!

I even started to do more things on my own, somethings without him as there are things he is not interested in. I was starting to lose my confidence and personality. I remember when I went to a Museum on my own, he tried to undermine it saying 'what is the point of it?'. I then said 'Stop it right now (kind of way) and said Well I liked it and I learned a lot. I also said I was
glad that I went without him as he would just spoil it. You know what he said, later, after I spoke about it and about the stuff I learned, that he wanted to go to the museum!

He once asked me about my day, but his eyes were glazed. I find it hard to make him interested in subjects I like and he just asked me out of politeness. I did say, I can see you are not interested so I won't talk about the fun time I had at such at such. Oddly enough he wanted to know more about it after that!

He also undermines me. He moans that I cannot do maths (very true) and completely glosses over that I cycled 300 miles from London to Paris for charity. I think we really have to think about our positive traits. It is very important to do a lot of things of your own. I hope to do more history stuff (ie lots of learning) although he will try and undermine me. But learning is always good, no matter what it is!

Ironically he is training to be a teacher.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2013 5:55 PM BST

Battenberg Britain: A nostalgic tribute to the foods we loved
Battenberg Britain: A nostalgic tribute to the foods we loved
by Nigel Cassidy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but quite lot missing, 16 July 2011
I enjoyed bits of the history. I was aware of the Marmite story as my family come from the brewing trade in Burton on Trent, it was made of leftovers.

Enjoyed the history of the Battenberg cake too.

It could have done with a more 'Best of British' things such as:

porky scratchings (even in some chainy newsagents, you may be lucky enough to get these still)
jam tarts
crumpets
gentlemen's relish (you get this from Fortnum & Masons now)/anchovy paste from supermarkets
Pontefract cakes
Bakewell Tarts (and now the Southern version is nothing like the northern one)
Eccles Cakes
Gypsy tart (for us born in Kent (a little lady felt sorry for some gypsy kids and found some things from her larder to make a sweet sticky tart)
Angel Cake (infact, I am eating one now!)
Bourbon biscuits (rock hard but full of memories, I used to eat them when we to watch hunter trials in the field next door)
Those biscuits with 'dead flies' - saw them in a newsagent today, can't remember what they are called G... something.
Milk of Magnesia, a mystery substance in a blue bottle given to kids (probably to shut them up)
Heinz tomato soup (I never could stand it but it seems to go on forever)
Carrs water biscuits (because your mum was slimming it was alway in the larder)
Walls Ice Cream (served in a rectangle cube)
Birds Eye Cod (in a bag) served in white parsley sauce (when your parent in 70s got lazy) (not to mention boil-in-the-bag curries)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2013 3:30 PM GMT

Gift House Int Gimble Book Holder
Gift House Int Gimble Book Holder
Offered by CKB LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 9 July 2011
They are good but only 4 star as I think they need to be made of metal as they would be a little stronger on the page. I did find that the gimble did move so sometimes I didn't see the words in the middle. I had to keep moving the gimble about, some times that was distracting. I think it takea a bit of practice but on the whole I like it and my partner wants one now.

Down and Out in Paris and London (Penguin Modern Classics)
Down and Out in Paris and London (Penguin Modern Classics)
by George Orwell

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 4 July 2011
Like another reviewer, I refuse to watch rubbish television with cheesey presenters and BBC's breaking news on celebrities and royals, I am reading a lot more books and in particular classics and in a book not a kindle )(even better).

I am not really interested in Animal Farm which we are supposed to rave about but I love the observations and writing style of Orwell. I enjoy reading about the characters and my favourite character is Bozo. I enjoy his philosophy, and being poor myself I like the idea of the sky being a 'free show'. Also lots of tramps are 'bright' and have something to say.

As an update to his hotel story, working in the hotel industry itself, it can still very very bad in small hotels. We can work 60 hours a week, with limited staff and only last week I was asked to work 48 hours a week in Kent below minimum wage which could face the hotel with prosecution. ALso guests want us to go the extra mile, for example, so they can check in before 2pm, or they ask us to leave luggage or leave their wine in our fridge or do other special things ... and you know what, they give us NO TIP. Housekeepers have to clear up filthy rooms from couples after wedding parties or for clearing up after drunk businessmen, and still no tip! There is a high turnover in hotels due to terrible wages, hardly any tips, and employers bullying staff, particularly if they stand up for their rights. Right now in my hotel, about 4 people are leaving and they were so keen at the beginning when they first got the jobs. I would leave too, but it is so hard to find jobs now.earing up after drunk businessmen, and still no tip!

I used to work in an ex workhouse and it was interesting to see what they were like in Orwell's time. We used to have ghosts in the office and we think it was something to do with a death at the poorhouse.

Call the Ambulance!
Call the Ambulance!
by Les Pringle

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 4 July 2011
This review is from: Call the Ambulance! (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading about the weird and quirky things they have to put up with and in particularly the TV documentary. It made me look at ambulance shows in a different light. I work in a hotel and we often get asked to be on TV and I am so glad that my boss refuses every time. This fly on the wall TV in the hotel industry is often about making fun of the hotel and employees and fault finding.

From a road safety point of view I was interested in the pranks whilst drivers were driving and it makes me think, as more ambulances are having accidents, whether a prank was involved at the time. It was an eye opener.

I would like to have read about traffic congestion and how hard it is now for emergency services to get through with so many cars around. Sometimes I see them stuck in traffic for a long time whilst their blue lights are flashing, particularly in London. OUr local fire service had to move to the industrial estate because there was so much traffic blocking the entrance to the High St.

I got a bit bored with the maternity stories but I liked the rest.

I was shocked at the 'repeat patients', another eye opener.

As for the pranks, you wonder what the manager of the ambulance service was up to, as some of it sounds more like bullying than 'pranks'.

I think it would be interesting to read a book about what the ambulance service is like know. I wonder if anyone can recommend one. Must be a lot of changes and types of people ie nuisance binge drinkers after 18th and 21st birthday parties.

I liked the down to earth style, some of it was very funny. I was glued to the book. I'd recommend this book. I am now getting the Blue Lights book.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it a lot, 28 Jun. 2011
I bought mine at W H Smith - full price at about £[], but didn't realise how cheaply they were being sold on Amazon.

It is great, and now wouldn't want to be without it.

It is quite light so watch out that it doesn't ping off onto the floor or on someone's lap.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7