Profile for Velvet > Reviews

The Clothes On Their Backs
The Clothes On Their Backs
by Linda Grant

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, dull, dull!, 25 April 2012
It just rambled and rambled. Fortunately I found it at a jumble sale and it only cost me 15p.I gave up reading it a quarter of the way through. I wouldn't recommend it.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Doh!, 2 Mar. 2012
I didn't understand the instructions. Instead I went on Youtube and was shown a quick and easier way without this product.

I will have another go though since I have bought the item. It is probably really easy, but I just haven't clicked with it.

Hemline T1950 | 4 Circular Knitting Looms | 14/19/24/29cm
Hemline T1950 | 4 Circular Knitting Looms | 14/19/24/29cm
Offered by Electro World

4.0 out of 5 stars I made my first hat!, 1 Mar. 2012
I struggled with making a hat using needles and was sceptical about using a loom.

I was lucky to use it with chunky wool so it worked very well as a hat and I have had several people commenting on it and have one commission! I really recommend using Sidhar Indie yarn, it works a TREAT.

I would like to now make a man's hat and want to use thinner yarn but I am not sure I can use the large gauge loom for that size of yarn or just use two strands. If anyone knows this, it would be helpful.

I am much more confident about making a hat now and the work is so neat and I don't have to fuss about counting stitches and messing it up at the ends anymore. It is great for beginners and for adults who want to make something incredible quickly and easily.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2012 4:55 PM BST

Am-Tech V2560 Mini Drill, Set of 60
Am-Tech V2560 Mini Drill, Set of 60
Offered by ALL YOU CAN HAVE

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 23 Feb. 2012
The drill didn't work 2 days after using it. We tightened up the connections but nothing. Think fuse may have blown.

Prym Flower loom round 1pc
Prym Flower loom round 1pc

3.0 out of 5 stars Instructions unclear, 22 Feb. 2012
I bought this for £7 in a local shop so price was quite steep locally. The flowers looked nice. However, I have no idea how to remove the flowers without it all coming apart. Can't find it on the instructions. I am not sure whether I am supposed to tie knots in the loops. If anyone can help I would be grateful!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2014 9:52 AM BST

My Secret Life with a Sex Addict - from discovery to recovery...
My Secret Life with a Sex Addict - from discovery to recovery...

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional story, 23 Jan. 2012
As someone who lived with a sex addict, I could relate to ( though, fortunately, he unusally, didn't cheat (as far as I know). I think my partner had Level 1 (according to the Out of the Shadows book). However, the calculating manner of the sex addict (think another name should be better as it is more of a psychological illness to me) struck me. Also that I also had the 'my needs are not being met' (not that he discussed them either and the excuse that I am 'too fat to fancy' even though I am size 12 and 5 ft 8 and exercise regularly and rarely eat stodgy meals. It was very strange. We got on well in other parts of our life. He used to calculatingly buy flowers etc 'in order to get his needs met', there was me thinking he was being romantic! I don't think he actually could be romantic naturally, he seem to have A Plan. I suppose Ted had something similar when he met strangers, he had a successful strategy. The weird thing is that these types of people are constantly looking for sexual approval, even in the street. The fact they won't change is worrying but maybe they haven't tried all therapies. The childlike needs and lack of emotions stick out like a sore thumb. You can't believe there is a child in the head.

There are Sex Addict Group sessions, CBT, SSRIs and hypnosis to help such people. I haven't seen anything for Survivors of Sex Addicts though. I would like to hear of sex addicts actually reforming. It just feels so hopeless. I recommend watching out for classic signs at the beginning of a relationship, they are hard to spot but relationship history is a start, and lack of commitment, having lots of kids perhaps and lack of emotional stability

On speaking to my ex he says it is very tiring, a bit of a nuisance, and fortunately he is getting help. It must be a horrible feeling as 'all women' could be targets of his prowess.

This book is very good, we needed something like this to understand it, and to think that we ourselves are not failures but that there is a child in the partner only and that is not our fault. That is hard, however, and I have had to seek therapy for depression that was triggered by the partner's addiction.

The whole thing knocks you sideways, I can't fatham it sometimes. We are still friends but it is hard, hence have to try and understand this nuisance problem.

London Game Travel
London Game Travel
Offered by FREEPOST TOYS

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend it, 25 Dec. 2011
This review is from: London Game Travel (Toy)
Thought the instructions were fiddly, but with a bit of practice you got used to them. We played with two players, which made the game quite quick (20 mins) but it would be fun to have more players to get more tension.

The destinations we went to were rather right wing ie for the Boat Race, spend your money in Bond Street,Harley Street, Buckingham Palace....we had a good laugh about those.

We plan to re-write some of the destinations, by putting stuff like Visit Buckingham Palace for a Republican Rally, take 3 turns, go to the Anarchist Bookshop, Tube Strike go by Boris Bike, miss 2 turns, go to a N H S Hospital type thing..

A lot of fun but destinations need to be re-written for Left Wing Tourists/travellers.

GARDEN BIRD FEEDING FEEDER STATION/FEED/WATER TABLE NEW
GARDEN BIRD FEEDING FEEDER STATION/FEED/WATER TABLE NEW
Offered by Wildlife Kingdom

4.0 out of 5 stars Squirrel Proof, 9 Dec. 2011
I have not seen a single squirrel or cat trying to climb it, so that's a good plus.

Bad points: There is no cover, so the food can easily get wet and it is not windproof. You can't remove easily some of the plates, but I now tend to put plates on top so it is a little easier to clean. I would recommend buying bird feeders that have a large cover.

Good points: The spacing is good, so less dominant birds can enjoy it, and you often see lots of birds using it.

It is easy to put up which is one of the reasons why I chose it. I couldn't be bothered with faffing around with a screwdrivers.

Tangles: A Story About Alzheimer's, My Mother and Me
Tangles: A Story About Alzheimer's, My Mother and Me
by Sarah Leavitt

5.0 out of 5 stars All libraries should have this book, 20 Nov. 2011
The subject matter is 'just asking for a graphic novel' well done to Sarah Leavitt for the idea of turning it into one.

I found this book hard to put down.

I found the observations and family experiences helpful, and sometimes shocking. You got a feel of what her mother was like and how she turned into someone else from time to time.

The cartoon conversations and quick black and white drawings brought the book 'alive'.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, 25 Oct. 2011
Bought this for a Christmas Bike Ride, thought it was really fun and different from the usual santas. Gave my colleagues a good laugh.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7