Profile for Velvet > Reviews

Stitching Pictures
Stitching Pictures
by Sandeep Jandu

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational for beginner textile artists, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Stitching Pictures (Paperback)
As a mixed media textile artist I find this book invaluable. The author has a Goldsmith College background and has exciting textile ideas.I really like the idea of the easy things to be found round the house ie coffee, other dyes etc and the monoprinting, which I hope to have a go at I liked her contemporary stitching techniques and use of metals such as safety pins. I liked her interest in handmade paper too.

I would like my art to be a legacy and I was wondering how on we can preserve textile art and the backgrounds that are dyed with coffee as there has to be some life expectancy in textile art. I am not sure what sort of things to go for. I would certainly like a bit of information on how to preserve our art.

I love this book, it is a bit like having a 'friend' in the house who likes textile art and can come up with some exciting ideas.

I would love to see a new book!!

John Bishop Live (2010) [DVD]
John Bishop Live (2010) [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Bishop
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars He excluded a lot of people, 29 May 2012
This DVD is ok if you like Liverpool Football Club, have children ie boys and like blokey stuff about 'private parts' ie which is done to death. I liked his jokes when he talked about work. But I was bored thoughout. My friend laughed but then he is a bloke but he did feel his jokes about Liverpool alienated other football fans. I thought his jokes about fat people offensive. I am not fat myself, but it encourages people to bully fat people.

Indie Craft
Indie Craft
by Jo Waterhouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing book on contemporary textile artists, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Indie Craft (Paperback)
I love this book. It is inspiring and has a good selection of indie crafters. It inspires people who may have not gone to art college but have been doing it as a hobby or a parttime job on Etsy.com. It also may inspire people to take up a art course to get more ideas. One artist, however, said he was a bit unchallenged at an art college and the fact that he had some fun doing his own thing, is also another inspiration. These artists give us more freedom of expression, and encourage us to break a few rules. I would have liked to have seen some steampunk textile artists though and more artists who recycled a variety of materials to make art.

Super Cute Felt
Super Cute Felt
by Laura Howard

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Super Cute Felt (Paperback)
Nice and easy to do, and enjoyable to look at. Only downside, too many projects for kids to have as gifts or to make. My favourite is the bird and tea brooch. The oak coasters were also nice. Nice book for young teenagers.

All Sewn Up - 35 exquisite projects using applique, embroidery, and more
All Sewn Up - 35 exquisite projects using applique, embroidery, and more
by Chloe Owens

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 28 May 2012
I was surprised I loved the sixties prints, but after reading the book, I am a fan. This book is a lot of fun, a bit silly but it has a lot of easy but creative projects. It is also really nice to look at, over several days, even if you are not doing anything. It is a feast for the eye. You kind of feel you are back in the sixties. I like the idea how she uses traditional fabrics like Liberties, one of my favourites. The only downside is that I would like to see more handsewn stuff, as I am bit pre Victorian and love the shabby wonky shapes of handsewn work.

I would love to see another book by her.

Joanna, George, and Henry: A Pre-Raphaelite Tale of Art, Love and Friendship
Joanna, George, and Henry: A Pre-Raphaelite Tale of Art, Love and Friendship
by Sue Bradbury

3.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 28 May 2012
I thought the works of Henry and George were excellent. I particularly enjoyed the rural landscapes and royal scenes. Unfortunately, Joanna's pictures left me rather cold as I didn't like her style, but that's just me. I found the author's style of writing a bit tedious and hardgoing, rather like a university textbook, it felt that it was for people heavily into the arts rather than people who were just interested in reading about people, and artists' lives.

The book didn't have more paintings by George which was disappointing and I would have liked to have seen more miniatures by Henry.

Joanna was a bit of a tease it was said but the book didn't appear to show us that side, unless I missed a few sentences. A bit of humour would have made it less stiff. Though it was about Joanna, George and Henry the author appeared to pad the book with works from other famous artists.

It was sad and poignant at the end when Joanna died during childbirth. Childbirth even nowadays has that risk of death, and it is just a waste of a woman's intellectual life. Women should think about whether they'd want to be 'sacrificed'.Fortunately nowadays women have a lot of choice whether to have children or not and they can have a career instead which may be more rewarding. For Joanna, it was a different era and there was pressure to produce. This book raises awareness how dangerous childbirth can be, particularly if there are complications. I would have liked to have read more about her and feminism. There was a little too much emphasis of a 'love story'.

There is little in the book how the family coped after her early death, what happened to the children, how the family's art perhaps changed, who looked after the children, how the children coped without a mother, which of the family looked after them, how her interfering mother coped..... there was a lot of important human things missing towards the end.

I recommend this book is either given to you or to get from the library, it was quite expensive.

Diary of a Facelift
Diary of a Facelift
by Toyah Willcox

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit desperate, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Diary of a Facelift (Hardcover)
I do think a book about having a facelift needs to be written. I liked the funny and down to earth bits especially the celebrity hairdresser bit. That was hilarious.

As an artist, we think differently. We like a woman who has a bit of character and history in a person, it raelly adds to the portrait. I had a look at the before and after and I prefer the Before, perhaps because she had laughter lines and looked fun, a bit of a minx. Now she looks a lot more demure and I can't imagine a punkish Toyah being like this.

I must admit after reading this book, it has made me feel in more that I don't want to have it. If people have a problem with wrinkles, that is their problem, not mine. I also don't want to attract stupid ill mannored men who hoot at me. I do feel that if you have a great hairstyle and an elegant, feminine dress, men like that rather than the cheap, tight trousers, easy type.... I think Toyah in the before pic has really great eyes, with character. I don't think she realise how great she actually does look. I suppose bags are a pain in the bum and may be that can be touched up but she didn't really need a face lift.

Imagine Mother Teresa with a facelift, it would look ridiculous, or a PM with one. People won't take them seriously.

I was more shocked how obsessed and insecure she was, that was a bit sad. I think she needs to work on her esteeem. And I liked her writing and her humour and I hope that maybe one day, she starts writing travel books. She would be excellent, full of funny stories.

I left this book in the Canterbury Oxfam and apparently she went in there with her husband whilst looking for a house. The man at the counter was a nice guy and he wants to read the book. He was a bit disappointed that she didn't buy a house in Canterbury, It was a very small world!

Felties: How to Make 18 Cute and Fuzzy Friends from Felt
Felties: How to Make 18 Cute and Fuzzy Friends from Felt
by Nelly Pailloux

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 19 May 2012
I love the polar bear and mushroom feltie best. Even though I am in my mid 40s I love them. They are so cute. I ended up being inspired to make some of my own and I have started to do my friends too. I would like to do the mushroom one at some point. I think they are great for charities and to cheer people up in hospital. I would put lavender in them, if I didn't have wool. I took me far longer than 15 mins as I did a lot of beading. You can certainly have a lot of fun with them.

Sony Vaio EH2P0E 15.5 inch Laptop (Intel i5 2.4GHz Processor, RAM 4GB, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) Hard Drive Capacity 320GB- Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Harddrive failure 2 months after I bought it, 12 May 2012
My computer is now in the shop as my harddrive has failed. It keeps saying 'operating system not found'. I have noticed other people online having similar problems with their Sony Vaio. I am not sure if it will work at all but at least I have my warranty, that's something. I won't buy another Sony Vaio.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2012 5:52 PM BST

Beginner's Guide to Needle Felting
Beginner's Guide to Needle Felting
by Susanna Wallis

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and easy for the beginner, 11 May 2012
There are plenty of easy, step-by-step instructions. The projects give you a quick summary of what can be achieved. I like the landscapes and dolls best.

I would like to find alternatives to raw wool, as sometimes you can't always get it ie live in urban surroundings. I would also like alternatives to wool, perhaps alpaca....Is it restricted to natural wool or can it be used for synthetics etc. However, it tells you clearly what to do when you do use raw wool which was helpful.I would like more about wet felting as I didn't quite understand the benefits of this.

The book is read in an enthusiastic way which was enjoyable.

I do really recommend this book! Now I want another one!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2013 11:46 AM BST