Profile for SwissMiss > Reviews

The Valley of Amazement
The Valley of Amazement
by Amy Tan

2.0 out of 5 stars I really liked the earlier books, 21 July 2014
I really liked the earlier books. This one has a cheap touch to it. Amy Tan lists all the research she has done for the book, I wonder what for. 80 % of the book are endless and repetitive descriptions of interiors, clothes, jewellery, awful sex scenes on and on... The protagonists remain flat and unsympathetic. All that dishonesty and scheming may have been necessary for a courtesan at the time, but do I want to read about it again and again on nearly 600 pages? China and especially Shanghai and the International Settlement remain dull and uninteresting in this book. What a pity.

El Anatsui: Art and Life: Art & Life
El Anatsui: Art and Life: Art & Life
by Susan Mullin Vogel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book on a great artist!, 17 Mar. 2014
Ever since I came across the huge wall hangings at the Biennale and the Palazzo Fortuny in Venice, I have been an admirer of El Anatsui's work. Of course, you have to see a piece in the original to truly capture what this art is about, but this is true of each and every piece of art, isn't it? But the book gives a lot of background information about and by the artist and the pictures help me remember what I have seen.
By the way, I took excellent pictures of the hangings in Venice, I like them even better than those in the book ;=) I cannot say that I find the pieces especially difficult to photograph.

Pergolesi: Stabat Mater, Laudate Pueri, Confitebor
Pergolesi: Stabat Mater, Laudate Pueri, Confitebor

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming rendition of the Stabat Mater,, 17 Mar. 2014
Pergolesi's greatest achievement before he died - at 26!! I loved the music already and now these two voices, that seem so filled with the spirit of the Stabat Mater (although Jaroussky says of himself that he is an atheist). Amazing blending of the voices - one may dislike that as one of the reviewers does, but in this case I find it a sign of complete harmony and dedication to the music instead of to the "Self".
I truly hope that Decca is not starting to kitschify Julia Leshneva. She is so young, and must be rather overwhelmed by this sudden leap of her career. But there is already a Kitsch-video of her Mozart Alleluia on her website, responsibility of Decca, of course.

Alleluia
Alleluia
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Dearest Julia Lezhneva!, 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Alleluia (Audio CD)
I have been following your career for a while now. Got this disc as well as the Pergolesi Stabat Mater. I love your singing voice and I am truly fond of your personality as displayed in your various interviews. May I then give you some unsolicited advice?? PLEASE let the people at Decca not kitschify you. On your website there is a video of your Alleluia: Wonderful singing indeed, but did those responsible not remember that an Alleluia is a celebration of God? You may not believe in anything what humans call "God", but Mozart did! This video is a celebration of a beautiful young woman in a white dress, air blowing into the veils.... Nothing to do with Mozart's Alleluia. Zerlina would be the perfect role for that
Dear Julia, you do not need that Kitsch! Please stay your natural heartwarming self. Begs this admirer from Switzerland.

The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Gamache)
The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Gamache)
by Louise Penny

2.0 out of 5 stars Good plot - repetitive infills of "crisp white linen"or the "clean crisp sheets"... and don't forget..., 4 Feb. 2014
the "fresh warm bread...directly from the oven", alternatively the "warm" baked goods are "delicious croissants". And I do not know how many times Inspector Gamache smells of Sandalwood throughout the books. He and his most perfect wife of their most perfect reunion do not drink orange juice for breakfast but "fresh-squeezed orange juice" and the jam is not strawberry jam, but, of course, made from "wild strawberries".
I find that annoying. So much energy seems to get into original plot and then these totally overdone descriptions. I wonder whether Louise Penny employs an assistent who has to throw in some of the above every 20 pages or so.
What do editors do these days? Asks this very disappointed reader.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 4:45 PM BST

Death Comes to Pemberley
Death Comes to Pemberley
by P. D. James

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment on a large scale, 1 Sept. 2012
I must first say that P.D. James has given me endless hours of pleasure with her books. Unfortunately though, this time I have to agree with every negative review here regarding Pemberly. I found the characters flat and uninteresting and too much rather boring descriptive writing and too little of believable period dialogue.

It's All Right Now
It's All Right Now
by Charles Chadwick

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable book, 30 Jan. 2012
This review is from: It's All Right Now (Paperback)
It has been quite a while since I read this book (from the library). (I came here today to see, whether Chadwick has published something new.) What I remember most about It's Allright Now is the amazing awareness and honesty of the protagonist's inner monologue - that's what the whole book is, an inner monologue. Constant reflection of what he sees and feels and would like to say or do - but doesn't. It is his shyness and everyday cowardice that keep him mum and makes him produce his ridiculous puns. I remember him as an extremely lonely person, almost locked-in, at the same time a friendly husband, father, colleage and acquaintance from the outside. A fascinating read.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
by Helen Simonson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not credible, 23 Jun. 2011
I am not familiar with a credible attitude to life of ex-military men in England and - English not being my mother-tongue - flaws like using "cilantro" or "drapes" don't catch my attention, but I wondered right from the beginning of the novel whether the main character, the Major, could really be 68 years old??? Through the whole book I pictured him as 80 at least and as such not credible at all in his role.
That's why I looked at the reviews here and I am truly amazed: the Major seems to be a credible description for most British readers for a 68 year old man in today's England. Wow!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2012 4:56 PM BST